Monday, November 25, 2013

why do I blog ?

Sometimes I get a little glimpse into how Lily's life is changing hearts, and it just grips me. I mean totally, completely gets my heart…and tonight was one of those nights.

I'm putting together the slideshow for Thanksgiving, and the photos that are pouring in just have me in tears. Because I'm super sappy like that. It's just that these faces- and the love that is behind them - represent so much. I don't just look at a photo someone sends me and see a child or adult…I see a family behind the person…I imagine how much love is going on right there, and what kind of journey each parent or sibling or aunt or uncle went through before that photo. It's hard to put into words- but each photo to me is priceless, because I feel like I'm on the journey with you when I see your photos.

I think more than anything else, the reason I love blogging is the connection it brings me to other people who have gone through or are going through what I have, in regards to Down syndrome. I am so thankful - SO THANKFUL - for the friends I've made online since Lily was born. Jenny, Deanna, Elissa, Elizabeth, Susanna, Charrissa, Nicole, Cara….I could fill this post with over a hundred names of friends I've made here in the last four years.

YOU are the reason I blog. I love reading your comments, hearing your stories, getting your wisdom and feedback, I love getting a little glimpse into your lives and the lives of your loved ones with special needs. I love growing with you and rallying with you and crying with you and learning with you…I am so honored to be part of this community.

I received several emails tonight along with photos that had me in a puddle of tears. It's late, and I only have time to share one for now, but in the days ahead I want to post about the others. This isn't to pat myself on the back, but rather to thank God for using Lily's life to influence and encourage others. I just get to be the vessel for that, and I am so blessed to play that part.


So very blessed.


************

Hi  Patti,

Here is a photo of Mitch for the thanksgiving post. I am so glad that he could be included in this. 

We are so glad we have him, the delight when he learns something new and his laugh at everything around him makes him so fun to be around. We wouldn't change him for the world. The world that has been opened up around us because of him is something I could never imagine, from play groups through to Buddy Walks, it is all because of him.




I also want to tell you how much you have helped me. When I was first told about Mitch, I was upset but 'fine' with it. It wasn't until he was a few months old that I realized,  I hadn't actually reached that point of acceptance. It was during one of these moments that I found your blog. I googled 'down syndrome blogs' and then went from there. Some, I didn't find relevant and others I couldn't get enough of. 

When I first found A Perfect Lily, I was a little unsure. I didn't know if I wanted to keep reading, if it was going to hurt to much, but I am so glad I did. You showed me through your words that Mitch is Mitch, Lily is Lily and they are just kids that happen to have an extra chromosome. Nothing to be afraid of,  just a whole lot more to love. 

Fast forward, two years and I am in a much better place. Mitch is doing amazing and I still keep up to date on not only yours, but many blogs. I couldn't ask for a better place to be in. I adore Lily and how fast she is growing and the new skills that she is learning. I am so glad that on a day I thought it wouldn't be ok, it showed me that it really is.

Once again, thank-you for including Mitch, and showing the world how lucky we are to have these kids around us.

Thank-you, 

Nicole


******************************

Thank YOU, Nicole, for sharing Mitch with me, and for sharing your heart as well.


6 comments:

Faith Kopp said...

I am thankful for my Lily Anne because she brightens my day each time I read her Mama's blog and see her pictures/videos. I love this week of the year because of all the pictures and stories behind the pictures of these precious children of God.

Elizabeth Clark said...

Patti - your blog has impacted me deeply. Two years ago I made the conscious decision to change my view of those with special needs. Your blog has played a powerful role as God has changed my heart to love and appreciate those with special needs. Thank you so very much for sharing bravely and vulnerably. You are a blessing!

cathy said...

You are a trailblazer you sweet mama friend & I am blessed to know you

xoxo
cathy

Kandi Pickard said...

This was incredible! I can't stop the tears! I love what you do and the message your sending. Amazing!! Thank you!!!

Kandi Pickard said...

Absolutely incredible!! Thank you for sharing this, we are so thankful for our guy and for all the others leading the way! I can't stop the tears!! Amazing!!

StaceyM said...

Dear patti I am so. Excited to be in your video! Thank you so much for making the video . Happy thanksgiving to you and your family .
Love stacey