Sunday, September 22, 2013

September Symphony

Today I'd like to introduce you to two of my online friends, both of whom have bigger hearts than almost anyone I know. If you've been reading here for a long time, you've met them before.



This is Julia...





(yes, Julia- I stole your photo. Because I'm sneaky like that.)

Julia and her husband Rob adopted that beautiful little guy from Eastern Europe a few years ago, and literally saved him from spending the rest of his life in an institution. The kind of institution where unspeakable things happen to children, because there just aren't enough people to properly care for them. Rob and Julia weren't content to save a life though - they came home with their son and decided to spend almost every waking moment advocating for the children they left behind. Julia, through her blog, has raised- oh, I don't know, umpteen thousands of dollars for children with special needs who are available for adoption in other nations. She is tireless. She is passionate. She has a heart as big as the ocean.




This is Elizabeth...





(Yes, Elizabeth, I stole this picture from your blog...sue me ;))


Elizabeth and I were introduced through a mutual friend several years ago, and I've lost count of how many texts, emails, and phone calls we've exchanged since. She has an incredible story you can read about HERE...right now she is battling for her life. That gorgeous little guy on her lap is her son George, who shares Lily's extra chromosome. She has four other amazing children, and a devoted husband, and she was a physician before she became supermom...her entire family is brilliant. Read that - BRILLIANT. Her kids do incredible things like win chess championships, play Suzuki violin, earn scholarships to prestigious universities, and study subjects I can't even pronounce. Elizabeth and her husband Dixon are the people behind the scenes of most of the fundraising you see on Down syndrome blogs. They donate, they pray, they fund the fundraisers with prizes, they spread the word, they give and give and give til it hurts. And this in the midst of all they have gone through together battling her cancer for five years.




SO when Julia and Elizabeth both asked me to give a shout-out for THIS .... of course I couldn't turn them down.


It's been quite awhile since I hosted a fundraiser on my blog...life has gotten a little busy since our eleventh child arrived. I'm hoping and praying that Lily's readers will help me support Elizabeth and Julia by donating to their September Symphony. It would mean so much to them - and to me - if you clicked on that link and helped them out.


Lots of love,

Patti

1 comment:

Julia said...

PATTI!!!!! YOU MADE ME CRY!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!