Tuesday, August 13, 2013

your words and more

Thank you so much to all who joined in the conversation on my Speech Explosion  post. I love hearing from other moms and dads about what you've experienced, and I love gleaning from what you've learned. I'm copying and pasting the comments here, as they were all excellent...even the one from my bratty brother, who does not have a serious bone in his body. He also loves Lily more than anything, and has one of the coolest perspectives on Down syndrome of anyone I know. For someone who isn't a parent of a child with special needs, he gets it. (Just a little shout out to my awesome bro here.)

And speaking of awesome family members- my sister has wanted to adopt a baby with Down syndrome from the moment she witnessed Lily's birth. So if you ever run into someone receiving a prenatal diagnosis for Down syndrome who says, "I just can't handle this".... let me know.




Back to speech...

Yesterday a friend sent me a video of her daughter - who is the exact same age as Lily - reading letters out loud from flashcards. There were no pictures on the cards, only letters - and she was nailing them. Again, she's Lily's age (three and a half) and she has Down syndrome. Her mom recommended getting Lily this app for the iPad or iPhone and I immediately got it for both...




It's called Endless Alphabet and Lily LOVED it immediately.  She instantly figured out how to manipulate the letters and is repeating all the sounds. My older children all learned to read using a similar online reading program, but this one is fantastic because a young child can use it with their fingers, as opposed to a mouse. (Although Lily is pretty good at her mouse skills as well !) I am so excited to see Lily learn her letters and sounds this way - I'll post a video soon of her learning.


Here are your comments from last week - I would also love it if you could leave some comments today telling me what apps you and your child enjoy for learning. Share away, and I'll post your answers in a follow up post !






1 – 30 of 30
Blogger Race Bannon said...
If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have taught my kids to talk, they NEVER stop! Oh, and they don't have Down Syndrome. But still....
August 7, 2013 at 10:50 PM
 Delete
Blogger Megan Landmeier said...
Ellie is a pretty early talker - almost 2.5 and a TON of single words, a few two word phrases. Part of it is her amazing SLP. Part of it is that she was a late walker (28ish months) so she had to ask for stuff to get it. And part of it is genetics - her mama never shuts up.

Right now we're working on the answering questions. When Ellie DOES answer one, I don't want her to. "What do you want for breakfast?" "CAKE!" Seriously!?!?!?
August 8, 2013 at 2:21 AM
 Delete
Blogger cathy said...
I am no expert with this, HOWEVER,
1.she sounds adorable
2.I love the facial expressions--she KNOWS what she is saying
3. She is speaking clearly
God bless

xoxo
cathy
August 8, 2013 at 3:58 AM
 Delete
Blogger ckbrylliant said...
I'd have to say for us, Bridgie being around her siblings all summer has helped the most with her speech and ability to put words together. However, she now knows burp and fart and how to use them correctly. She has also learned to make a farting noise on her arm too. I guess you take the good and you take the bad. She is 3 1/2 with Ds.
August 8, 2013 at 5:05 AM
 Delete
Blogger Amy said...
Her facial expressions were priceless with each word- you can tell she's really watching those sweet siblings of hers :). Although Morgan doesn't have ds, speech has been a difficult part of our journey - so I celebrate along with you, knowing how joyous it is when God gives our babies those abilities that many take for granted :). Love y'all's family!
August 8, 2013 at 5:08 AM
 Delete
Blogger Stephanie Johnson said...
She is beyond precious! At what age did she start speech therapy?

My son is nine months old, and I have tried for months to get him started with speech. We did one evaluation a couple months ago, but we're still waiting. Not sure if it's an insurance thing or if the clinic doesn't want to take him... I'm getting the runaround.

I asked our state's early intervention program about speech, and they told me my son is "too young".

We did a private-pay consult with a SLP who specializes in oral-motor development. She is a day's drive away from us, though, so we're left on our own to implement the things she taught us. I figure anything we can do, though, is better than nothing!
August 8, 2013 at 5:59 AM
 Delete
Blogger Judee Albert said...
Starbucks???!!! ROTFL!!!
August 8, 2013 at 6:32 AM
 Delete
Blogger Jaime Peña Álvarez said...
Hi Patty :) Congratulations for Lily's speech!!

My 18 months old Ds daughter says things like "mamama" "papapa" "tatata", but she knows perfectly who is mama and who is papa :) In addition of that, my daughter Emilia yells for expressing her happiness, anger, hunger, etc, and she can recognize certain songs, yelling in response. I hope she could learn to talk as soon as possible, but with patience C:

There is a photo of my family https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153045542025527&l=dfa8a5d20b

Blessings for all your family!!
August 8, 2013 at 6:46 AM
 Delete
Blogger lovemy3 said...
I needed to see this today. Some days speech is so frustrating with Hailey and other days it seems to flow freely. I just like seeing there is a light at the end of the tunnel :-) I feel like we are on the "verge" :-) Way to go Lily!
August 8, 2013 at 6:56 AM
 Delete
Blogger Liz/happymommy said...
She is too sweet and I just love her little voice! So happy for her that she is able to communicate more, I bet that feels so great to her as well to have you be able to understand her better!!
August 8, 2013 at 7:08 AM
 Delete
Blogger Heather said...
Can't wait to see the comments on this. Daniel is 2 and does not really talk. He does have around 30-40 signs. He makes lots of noise - mostly animal noises - and a couple of sounds that we know have meaning. That's it. I want more than anything to hear him speak.
August 8, 2013 at 7:16 AM
 Delete
OpenID babypelly said...
Abby has had a bunch of words for about a year now but she started REALLY talking in May, when she moved up to the preschool room at daycare. It was literally an overnight change in her and her speech has just taken off since. I am continually floored by the things she comes out with!
Thats not to say her speech is very clear - I can understand her a lot better than most others. This is where speech therapy has been most beneficial for her.
She turned 3 in June.
August 8, 2013 at 7:23 AM
 Delete
Blogger Crystal Kupper said...
Love the nose scrunch!
August 8, 2013 at 8:20 AM
 Delete
Blogger Mary said...
Mine did't have DS, but third child had major speech delays, no real words until after three, and then mostly only vowel sounds. Therapy to add in consonants, finally done by six, mostly because he didn't see the point: he'd say what he had to say, and that was it, whether we understood or not. Thankfully his older sister usually knew what he wanted, but that probably didn't help his speech progress. :)
At 14, he still doesn't talk much, because of the rest of us talking so much and has so much going on in his head. I was so happy when he volunteered to recite a part of Shakespeare's Caesar at a homeschool function. He did clearly and confidently. (I had worried about therapy lowing esteem, it didn't, it actually was time he enjoyed having for his own). He's come a long way!

I am thrilled with Lily's success! I love the sass she adds "seriously?!" - just adorable. I know that fills your heart.
August 8, 2013 at 8:48 AM
 Delete
Blogger Elizabeth Clark said...
Thanks for this post! Lily is making such huge progress. But most importantly she is loved and she knows it!! I'm beginning my graduate program in speech therapy next week so I'm excited to hear input from parents in your upcoming speech post.
August 8, 2013 at 9:16 AM
 Delete
Blogger Cindie Bass said...
oh that video melted my heart. She has so much personality, I wish I could hug and squeeze her forever ;-)
August 8, 2013 at 9:52 AM
 Delete
Blogger Tommie said...
My daughter doesn't have Down Syndrome but she does have 5p- Syndrome (Cri du Chat) which also very much affects the ability to speak. Old research says that people with this syndrome will never speak. My daughter was three years old when she started babbling and now, at six and a half, she holds conversations with us, tells us long, detailed stories and amazes us every single day.

She started therapies when she was year old (we didn't get her 5p- diagnosis until she was two and a half, at the time we started therapies, we were treating her for global delays and looking for answers.)

She continued st, ot and pt until she aged out of the early intervention program at three. She then started therapies through the local school.

She still receives speech, occupation and physical therapies at school and does well with one on one therapists. We're working on getting her to actually talk to her teachers, though. She gets intimidated when in a group setting.

Lily is simply beautiful and her speech is a glorious thing to behold. Thank you so much for sharing her with us.
August 8, 2013 at 9:53 AM
 Delete
Blogger The Holt's said...
Patty, I need this post today! Izzy is a babbler- all the time. She says a few words but I can't wait for the day that she speaks to where I can understand her. Sister has a lot to say and I am ready to have some conversations!
August 8, 2013 at 12:51 PM
 Delete
Blogger nicole said...
What a little cutie pie!
August 8, 2013 at 3:21 PM
 Delete
Blogger teal915 said...
Kamdyn is 3, and she started mimicking sounds after she got her tubes replaced in February. That has made the biggest difference for her, because she couldn't hear before that. Since then, she has developed a lot of simple, single words, and she says "my mommy" and " my daddy" and "I love mommy/daddy". I think that speech therapy can help given the child tools and give parents ideas in how to encourage speech at home, but I think it mostly depends on the child.
August 8, 2013 at 6:06 PM
 Delete
Blogger Wendy Talley, Portsmouth, VA said...
That's so exciting. Our son is blossoming in his speech too this past year. Its amazing.
August 8, 2013 at 6:48 PM
 Delete
Blogger Faith Kopp said...
My Dear Mr. Bannon, the apple does not fall far from the tree. :)

Lily, you keep those words coming. Say GRAMMI I LOVE YOU!!!
August 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM
 Delete
Blogger kate kopp said...
Love that little voice!! Thumbs up to you and Lily!!
August 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM
 Delete
Blogger Beckey said...
So fun to see her talking! :) I'll be interested to see the speech therapy post. We just brought our little guy home from Hong Kong, so he'll have to learn the language before he begins talking that we can understand. He's 2 now and I just recently have heard him making the "b" sound when I tell him we're going bye-bye or taking a bath. He understands many of the signs we use, but rarely uses them on his own. I enjoy all of your posts (even the picture ones that you asked about awhile ago!)
August 8, 2013 at 8:05 PM
 Delete
Blogger cara said...
That is the cutest video I have ever seen!!!!! SO proud of Lily talking like this! She is doing wonderful!!! :)

Very encouraging. Benji has few words. Praying for the day he can speak like this.
August 8, 2013 at 10:02 PM
 Delete
Blogger EnidV said...
Lily's expressions are priceless! I too love her "Seriously" face - very amusing! I am so looking forward to a verbal explosion with my daughter!
Hope is 27 months and can say Dada (which is sometimes used for "that" instead of Dad), hi, and Hope. She also has a few animal sounds, which she started saying about 2 weeks ago. She does have about 50 signs, so she can communicate what she wants pretty well.
We started speech therapy because of her feeding issues (mostly eating from a spoon correctly) and then drinking (she quit the bottle at 16 months but didn't figure out the open cup until 18 months - after refusing the sippy cup and the straw).
I'm glad we're doing ST - she's given us great ideas on how to work with her on making sounds. And then it's up to us to keep repeating those lessons over and over. Having older siblings is helpful too, I think. Hope has an older brother who loves to tell stories, so I'm hoping that he rubs off on her in that manner - like he has in the past with walking and climbing.
Thanks for sharing your life with Lily with all of us readers. I gain great encouragement from your daily walk. Thank you.
August 8, 2013 at 10:47 PM
 Delete
Blogger Leslie said...
That video was too, too cute! :) Way to go, Lily!
August 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM
 Delete
Blogger Ann Ehlert said...
Thanks for posting this! My Ada who has DS is 20 months and I'm always wondering about kids just a little older,. I love this video. She reminds me of my little Ada with her blond hair and cute expressions.
August 9, 2013 at 4:10 PM
 Delete
Blogger AngelaF said...
Ian is a week younger than Lily and we've been seeing his speech really take off in the last couple of months. He will be getting yet another set of ear tubes later this week, which we hope will allow him to hear more and make some huge strides in speech. Oddly enough, we've noticed he pronounces two-syllable words ("purple", "turtle", "daddy", "yellow") better than some one-syllable words. He hasn't seen a speech therapist, so I'm not sure how much difference it would make. (We've been fighting the school district on this one...)
August 10, 2013 at 10:34 PM
 Delete
Blogger Jenny said...
Oh that video was too cute!! And yay for Lily! I have noticed Russell is just recently, like in the past week or so, beginning to step it up with his speech. We are finally starting to hear two and three word phrases more and more. It's hugely exciting!!






3 comments:

Colleen said...

We love all of the ABA apps from kindergarten.com. If you search ABA on the app store they come up right away. We have all of them and really enjoy them (They were free during autism awareness month). My favorite is "Little Writer" for what we are working on right now, which is fine motor, it has a good letter tracing app.

Queen Zara said...

Sorry I don't have any apps to share, just had to say that is one of the BEST pics I've seen yet (and they're all pretty wonderful!) Love it!

Beckey said...

I don't know if your sister is interested in international adoption, but here are 14 kids in China with DS they are trying to find families for (I believe 2 already have committed families). Int'l isn't the route for everyone, but thought I'd pass it along just in case she may be interested. http://www.nohandsbutours.com/2013/07/30/the-bamboo-project/