Tuesday, July 23, 2013

full moon rising

So we never made it to Albany yesterday.

While we were getting ready to go I discovered that my absolute favorite Ann Taylor Loft t-shirt was missing, and it all went downhill from there.

Kids were fighting, Hayden was fussy, Lily had an attitude, and I think our dog was plotting to pee in a corner somewhere. I don't know that for sure, but she just had that look in her eye. The whole world seemed to be conspiring against me. If anyone out there had any illusions of me being supermom, they would have been shattered yesterday instantly upon stepping across the threshold of our home. Actually I don't think you would have even made it up the driveway before those illusions were shattered...I'm sure the sounds of children arguing and babies crying would have escaped our closed windows easily, and if not, then my cries of WHERE IS MY FAVORITE SHIRT DANGIT would have.

It was one of those days.

Consequently, a day of extreme-home-makeover ensued. But not the kind where gorgeous designer furniture replaced our used craigslist pieces. I mean the kind where every square inch of our home was gone over in search of that t-shirt...closets were organized, the laundry room was emptied of all its contents and meticulously reassembled, drawers were de-cluttered, and our van was cleaned within an inch of its life.

If you ever need motivation to clean out all the junk underneath every bed in your house, go ahead and lose your favorite t-shirt. The one that goes with jeans, capris and skirts and doesn't show that after-baby-roll just above your waistline. The one that is light-as-a-feather and doesn't require an additional layer of a tank top underneath, which means you aren't sweating profusely on these ninety-plus Oregon summer days. The one that you paid $24 for when you neeevvvvveeerrrr pay $24 for a t-shirt, because it was just that perfect.


And in spite of six hours of deep cleaning and multiple texts to friends and family asking for prayer for my missing t-shirt, in spite of a frazzled bunch of kids and a missed trip to our favorite second-hand shop for $3 kids clothes (hey, how else can we afford $24 t-shirts??) .... my beloved blouse was nowhere to be found.


Finally at quarter to six yesterday evening, when I had given up all hope of finding my beloved t-shirt, I  walked into our closet to find my flip-flops. I had to run Tyler to work, and I was sweaty, irritated, and grumpy. I think I even muttered a few Christian curse words under my breath as I moved Sam's shirts aside to grab my shoes. "If I flipping lost my flipping flip-flops as well, I'm going to flipping lose my flipping mind," I think were my exact words.


And lo and behold...there was my t-shirt.



Nestled snuggly between all of Sam's boring Costco golf shirts, hanging delicately on one of his wooden hangers, was my precious Ann Taylor $24 perfectly fitting feather-weight t-shirt.


Cue Heavens opening and hallelujah chorus breaking forth from above.


So just like that the mood in our home shifted, and things just got better from there.


Sam came home and put Hayden to sleep while I sliced watermelon and made paninis for everyone ...with a smile on my face and Christmas music in the air (hey, it's July!). One of my teenagers, who shall remain nameless, actually apologized for his earlier surly attitude. Lily ate her dinner without any tantrums, the kids all decided they were each others best friends again, and I think I even saw a smile on our dog's face. It was that much of a sea change in our home, and I'm sure all the angels breathed a sigh of relief.


After dinner Mackenzie and I went for a walk to the top of our neighborhood. We live in an area of town that overlooks all of Corvallis if you find the right spot, and you could not have asked for a more perfect evening sky. The temperature was perfect, not too hot and not too cool, the birds were singing, the sun was setting and the full moon was rising, and yes - I was wearing my favorite t-shirt to enjoy it all.


 











It was a perfect end to a terrible day.


And the icing on the cake was coming home to this production, just a little something my creative kids cooked up while I was gone...







...The Rice Ranch was restored to normal and all was right with the world.






Happy Tuesday !!

10 comments:

Faith Kopp said...

Sounds like some of my days lately, minus the children. Cannot remember where I put things, swear there is someone sneaking in the trailer while I am out and either stealing things or putting them somewhere else.

Loved the film. You boys are so creative. Papa would have been grumbling "someone is really going to break a leg."

Megan @5280RM said...

Oh my goodness this sounds so familiar! Glad I'm not the only one. ;)

Naomi said...

I love their movies! They make my day!

Rachael said...

You're 45 and have eleven kids? You look amazing!

Amy P. said...

My boys loved this. So thankful for my one story house. Ha ha

cara said...

Oh dear! I cannot show my kiddos this one. I just may have some broken bones. Our stairs are over tile, so that would not be good. But tempting because my kids love watching these! I am sure they would all have an absolute ball together. However, one of our precious boys just threw a rock into a neighbor's window, so we are replacing that now. Don't even let me tell you how. They were throwing rocks up this palm tree to try to knock these green things out of the tree. I guess we should sign him up for baseball. Anyways, cannot afford a broken bone too, ha.

I am glad your day ended blessed. Beautiful ladies!!! The only thing missing is the most adorable, little three year old I know. Oh, and her baby brother would be icing on the cake. :) xoxo

mumofsix said...

I absolutely hate losing things! Piuts me in such a bad mood! The hours I must have spent looking for lost items.... Ugh I dread to think how many. I am always sending up prayers to St Anthony! Anyway I'm so glad you found your tshirt. What a relief!

Loved the film trailer. Is it a big family thing? And of course the fab technology at their fingertips. Mine love making films. They have a ready formed cast I suppose. And I only have 6! Xxx Sarah

mumofsix said...

I absolutely hate losing things! Piuts me in such a bad mood! The hours I must have spent looking for lost items.... Ugh I dread to think how many. I am always sending up prayers to St Anthony! Anyway I'm so glad you found your tshirt. What a relief!

Loved the film trailer. Is it a big family thing? And of course the fab technology at their fingertips. Mine love making films. They have a ready formed cast I suppose. And I only have 6! Xxx Sarah

Laura said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this post. You are amazing and yet so real. Thanks for sharing your world with us.

Lori said...

talent and good looks, you have it all!