Monday, May 20, 2013

a little heaven

A friend emailed me the other day and said something that summed up last week perfectly: "I can only imagine the little heaven you are experiencing right now."

It is so true. We are in heaven...


This little curled up bundle of cuteness has all of us wrapped around his itty bitty finger. It's already hard to believe he hasn't always been a part of our lives. Isn't it crazy how that happens ? One day we're all wondering who it is that is moving around in Mama's tummy, boy or girl, and the next it's as if we have always known him.

The miracle of life.

the day before I went into labor and five days after. what a difference a week can make !!






hayden patrick, a few minutes old. already looking at the world around him !


..a few minutes after delivery...jason and baby k were sleeping at home after a LONG night waiting for hayden to arrive :)







in love







Mackenzie took the most amazing photos of Hayden's delivery, and she is putting together a slideshow with those. For now my phone has been the quickest way to capture his first week, and that's how we're rolling...kicked back, soaking up each moment and just relaxing with our newest addition. If there's one thing I've learned after eleven babies, it's that these first few weeks fly by. So we wipe everything off our schedule that we can, lay low, and enjoy these brief newborn memories while they last. Housecleaning can wait, photo sessions are limited, social engagements are put on hold...we have a new baby to get to know right now.

no make up, no sleep...couldn't be happier :)

daddy bonding time

abigail and her twin




Our sweet friend Ashley Quinn had the above plaque engraved for Hayden. We love you, Ashley !

going home outfit













So many have asked how Lily is adjusting to having a new baby in the house. I shared this earlier today on IG ...








Happy indifference best describes her attitude. She tolerates a picture with him and has shared a binkie bonding moment or two. But for the most part she practices not looking at him or acknowledging he is here. I'm sure she will warm up to him in the days ahead, but for now she is not too sure about this little invader...




"some little pipsqueak hijacked my blog last week !!"





Aside from a few days on the bili-blanket due to Hayden battling a bit of jaundice, things have gone pretty smoothly here at the Rice Ranch. Adjusting to a new baby is always a bit of a juggling act at first, and I'm sure we'll drop a few balls in the days ahead. (Responding to emails and blogging have taken a back seat to baby care, so if you have sent me a message and I haven't responded that's why !)






Sam and I were just talking this weekend about what a difference a year can make. A year ago this month I was recovering from a long drawn-out miscarriage - recovering both physically and emotionally. We were in the process of having to leave our beloved rental home of nine years unexpectedly, we were struggling financially, and for awhile I thought I was never going to feel normal again. It was a season of loss and God brought us through.

But the wonderful thing about seasons is...they are just that. We go through hard times, and it's sometimes difficult to see our way out. It's easy to think that all of life is conspiring against us through those times...but if we can just hold on to the thought that life can be hard, but God is good, we'll come through to the other side.


"weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning." psalm 30:5




I'm so very thankful for our new little life, and so mindful of the goodness of God...







As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth....happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them ! ~Psalm 127:4-5


Happy Monday !!

29 comments:

Jane George said...

oh i am crying my eyes out here! so gorgeous so perfect and i am so so very happy for you all xxxxxxxxx

Mary said...

He is so cute! I love this post full of newborn cuteness! My little guy is already almost 5 months old and I miss him being a tiny newborn. Congratulations again on your precious gift from God :)

Crystal Kupper said...

That picture of Lily and Hayden with the pacis is just too much! Totally made my afternoon.

Mrs. K said...

Oh my goodness I can almost smell Hayden's sweet baby smell and feel him in my arms. Are those Jason's crib sheets?

Katrina said...

He is just beautiful Patti. How blessed you must feel today.

Ashley said...

I love that little guy! I am so glad you are enjoying the plaque. I love you all too <3

Julie Perrault said...

Beautiful blog message. I sense the joy and awe of God's blessing in your life. You are ministering to many, as you walk close to the Lord in mothering your beautiful family. Enjoy!! It does go so fast (newbie stage!)

Life with Kaishon said...

I didn't even know Hayden was coming. What a lovely little blessing God has given you Patti! I am so thankful for this gift to your family.

a portland granny said...

Oh my! That is a precious little bundle! How blessed you all are with this newest little gift from the hands of our loving God.

Blessings
a grandma from Gresham

Tara said...

Oh, Patti, he's a gem...a keeper, for sure! Congratulations! Thank you for your wise words on seasons, I'm experiencing a doozy right now and needed the encouragement that this WILL come to pass. :)

Love ya!

goldenleaves said...

What a blessed family! He is SO adorable!!!

Maureen Huizinga said...

He's soooo precious!! Congratulations, again, to you all!!! :D

Lena said...

What a cute little puff of a snuggle bunny.

Heather Plowman said...

He is so precious! Seeing those pics makes me miss those newborn days that go by way too fast!

Heather Plowman said...

He is so precious! Seeing these pics makes me miss those newborn days that go by way too fast! Congratulations to you and your family!!!

cara said...

Couldn't wait for this post!!!! He is SO precious and sweet and cuddly!! I am missing that newborn smell. I know you are in LOVE and that blesses my heart. I love what you wrote about seasons. I am always in awe as I look at James and cannot believe he is here. I was SO ill in 2011. I could not imagine another baby. And even getting through a pregnancy. And God is SO GOOD!! I cannot thank Him enough. I am SO happy for you all! I know you are enjoying every single minute.

That picture of Lily is priceless! I bet she will love having a real, live baby really soon. I know how much she loves baby dolls. It was hard for me to balance my time with Benji and James at first. Newborns demand so much of our time nursing and caring for them. Usually Benji was on my lap or snuggling me before James. He has learned to share, but I have to really make special time for just he and I. :)

Have fun with that sweet, sweet baby boy!! xoxo

Lori said...

He is so beautiful and perfect....love the little sucked in lip :)

Lori said...

Elli loves Lily's pigtales and thinks Lily is "very big" to be holding her brother ;)

Elle's mommy said...

Oh I love his little old man cuteness!!! HOw sweet is he?! Congratulations to you and your entire family...amen! JOY comes in the morning! I love that verse about arrows...i spoke about that on Mother's Day at our church :) love love love him and so happy for you and yours!

Nicki

Beckey said...

Enjoy your sweet baby :)

nicole said...

He does look like Abigail's twin! Cute pictures, especially Lily with her hands on her hips.

Wendy Talley, Portsmouth, VA said...

So sweet. Congratulations!

Mandy Rhodes said...

I'm so in love! What a sweet boy :) Congratulations!

Erica said...

So sweet and precious and wonderful! I'm just so happy for your whole family! We're praying for you all! Love, love, love :-)

Csnee317 said...

Your family is beautiful and your new baby boy is adorable! Love the pics of him and Lily. I'm sure she will warm up to him, any youngest sibling is going to have an adjustment about not being the baby. Congratulations on your new addition, Hayden!

blessingsandglory said...

So happy for you Patti and your beautiful family! Welcome sweet baby Hayden! Sending lots of love and blessings to you during this heaven-sent time.

blessingsandglory said...

So happy for you Patti and your beautiful family! Welcome sweet baby Hayden! Sending lots of love and blessings to you during this heaven-sent time.

angie said...

Okay, I have a few brief comments...

1. Congratulations on your new baby boy- Hayden is absolutely beautiful!

2. How on earth can you look so good five days after baby #11? After giving birth, I look more like your "day before labor" picture. LOL!

3. Lily is quite the little diva posing for pictures. Her love for the camera reminds me of Leanne from this blog- http://confessionsofthechromosomallyenhanced.blogspot.com/ Love the confidence and joyful spirit. :)

Jennifer said...

I am so behind on my blogs but congratulations! He is so adorable.