Friday, February 15, 2013

today is my favorite day

It's 11:23 on Valentine's night, and I'm up editing pictures. Because maybe I had one too many bites of the delicious heart shaped chocolate truffle Sammy gave me...







or maybe I am still a little high on the excitement of the day...






...because today was my favorite day. And yes, you can have more than one in your lifetime, and still call it your favorite day. There are enough cruddy ones, or nondescript ones, or so-so ones in life, so when your favorite ones happen, they need to be celebrated.

And celebrate we did.







I'm not great at throwing killer birthday parties. Probably because we have ten children and a mama can only do so much, ya know? But holidays we do big. I think it's because my own mom always made them special- she had these giant cardboard cut-outs for just about every holiday: Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, and we could not wait for each holiday to roll around. And it's the same way at The Rice Ranch. Every year my little kids ask me, "are you still going to do a big Valentine's morning feast like you always do? With the table all decorated and heart shaped pancakes?" As if I could let that sweet chorus of voices down...




Because I live for the details of all of this too. I selfishly admit- it's not just for my kids. I thrive on this kind of thing, I get high on this kind of thing. My husband says I'm the biggest kid of all, and it's probably true. I wear the title proudly.

I ate mine the day before. Could not wait.

I don't know when the tradition of playing the soundtrack from Babe on Valentine's morning began, but it wouldn't be complete without it now. We switched computers (with all our soundtracks in one file) when we moved last year, so this morning I was flipping heart shaped pancakes and telling the kids to wait "just one more minute" before coming downstairs, while I frantically loaded Dean Martin and company onto Grooveshark .

It was worth the extra effort. Because this was my reward....








And this....










Heart doilies and a pink tablecloth, pink cups and decorated plates, candy hearts and giant lollipops from the Dollar Tree : $22. Pancake mix, chocolate chips, syrup and red Tiki Punch : $10. The look on their faces when they saw the table and sat down to breakfast ? Priceless.



Lily's pucker


There was a whole lot of this...


...and a little bit of this...



...and when I finished cooking and joined my brood at the table, sun shining through the windows and If I Had Words playing in the background, I sipped my tea from my favorite mug and thought to myself....






 ....today is my favorite day.


17 comments:

Race Bannon said...

That house is sooooooooo much better!

We had heart shaped pizza pocket things for dinner!

Deanna said...

"You woke me up for THIS?" HAHAHAHA Love the pics; love your beautiful family! Thanks for letting us get a peek inside. (-:

Mrs. K said...

I noticed some empty seats....did you have extra pancakes and candy? If so just pack them up with the children and send them to AZ. hee hee

LOVED THE WHOLE BLOG!!!!!!

Charlotte's Mama said...

Love this (and the Rice crew too)!

Crystal said...

Hearing those mice sing that cheesy song never gets old. :-)

my family said...

i love <3 day too:)

Jessica said...

Happy Valentines to you! What a fun tradition!

PS I am nearly certain one of your sons nearly ran me over the other day. HA! No really I stepped out and there was a van I did not expect.

Danielle said...

Love love the smile from Lils at the end. She melts me! Can you sneak her in to visit me at the hospital?!? Incannpicture pastor pulling it off....! "Hi, I'm her pastor, here to prayer for her... Yes this is my wife, she's the pastor too... O and lily... She's an associate pastor. Very important!"

http://mylittlehappies.blogspot.com said...

This made me smile. BIG. Valentine's Day is my favorite holiday too! I love the pancakes!! Your kids reactions were priceless--so sweet!

goldenleaves said...

That looks like an awesome day!!! I LOVE the Valetine's Day breakfast idea :)

cara said...

Looks like a ball!! The kids are thrilled. LOVE the videos. We do it the same way around here; decorate the table and all. Can you believe my kids actually forgot it was Valentine's Day yesterday??!! They are always counting down the days for holidays, and they totally forgot. I think we have just had so much going on. Their Aunt B is coming in town on Saturday, and they are so excited counting down the days for that. Plus we have been sick, etc. And they are still SO in awe with little James. But thanks to their Daddy, he made sure their day was very special yesterday since I couldn't. He got them lots of treats and fun things, and the table was decorated when they came downstairs in the morning. They were shocked, and it was SO much fun to watch how shocked they were. I knew they had forgotten. They thought they were forgetting a birthday or something. Priceless!!

Your table was beautiful and perfect. I would love to be a kid at your house. You are a wonderful mama. xoxo

Dylan'sMommy316 said...

Oh my gosh, I really adore your family...so much! I didn't do much at home, but I brought little one out for a special day after preschool. It was awesome spending time just the two of us. :-)

Also "You woke me up for this?" You know he secretly still loves it but is "too cool" to show it now.

eliz said...

I hate to say this...........but.............every day is my favorite day! LOL! My children home,waking up, mornings before homeschool........love-love-love!! Even love changing diapers! ;o) (((HUGS))) to you and your precious bunch!

Anna said...

Wow! That was so awesome to see. What a beautiful holiday tradition!

Allison said...

Loved the videos! Makes me miss you all even more!!

Arlynn's Sister said...

Looks like a ton of fun! Love all the decorations.

Erica said...

SO wonderful! This post made me smile SO big and gave me tips and ideas for Valentine's Day in the years to come!

Love your family - thank you for sharing!