Sunday, January 13, 2013

week in photos

We are home after a glorious week in Prescott, Arizona, where Sam and Lily and I attended our fellowship's semi-annual Bible conference. I flew out early Monday morning with my son Josiah and his wife Monique (missed the parenting seminar we were supposed to do in San Diego, thanks to nasty pneumonia) and my sister picked us up at the Phoenix airport. We spent a few wonderful hours catching up with her and my niece Grace, pictured below, as well as my mom and dad and cousin Glenn.

Seeing Lily with her cousin just melted my heart- my sister and I have always remained close, despite living in different states, and I am so thankful that our girls just act like they've always known each other.



Sam came to pick us up, and we headed up to beautiful, chilly Prescott. Lily was such a trooper- she just slept on the plane, and charmed everyone's socks off at the airport, then slept on the drive up to conference. She went with the flow the entire week, even though it was a completely different schedule than she's used to. Team Down syndrome scores another point-  don't think I've ever had such an easy time taking an almost-three-year-old on a week long trip.

And being the center of attention all week didn't hurt any....


diva in the resort, yo !



I have no idea why Lily hates baths at home now, but she does. She was fine at our old house, but once we moved, bath time became a total source of frustration. Her love for her "bathy" was renewed last week, though. Wish I could have transported this tub and its magical powers back to Corvallis....





We had a spectacular room with a lovely view of Prescott from the fifth floor of our hotel. Lily slept like a little princess nestled between us each night, and woke up in the best mood each morning. I think God knew I needed a week of refreshing and helped my little birdie to cooperate with our early morning routine each day. And maybe watching Sesame Street helped a bit as well...little sister was mesmerized by the tv, as we don't have one at home. It was cute to see her wake up and point to the tv and grin each morning, and then dance on the bed to songs I remember hearing as a child. (How does Big Bird still sound EXACTLY the same after all these years?? Doesn't that guy ever age?!?)


The last day of conference, as we were packing our room up, Lily found a pile of Sams' t-shirts and er...chonies...and decided to try them on. ALL of them. She layered chonies and t-shirts- four of them- over herself, then proudly surveyed the results in the mirror...


Mama took a twenty week baby bump pic....


...and the next day we headed home. We missed our flight (flying stand-by as always, because we have relatives who work for the airlines) and stopped at a Starbucks to pass the time til the next one. Lily didn't mind at all - I think she consumed half my breakfast and would have done the same with my Tazo tea if I let her. Her food jag (eating only white foods foreeeever) appears to have given way to a profound love for WHATEVER we are eating. For months all she would eat was cheerios, bagels, chips, yogurt and pizza....last week she ate paninis, salad (?!), spicy chinese food and steak gorgonzola from Olive Garden.

And a bacon egg and cheese sandwich from Starbucks...




Little Miss was a champ on the plane ride home as well. She grinned at the little girl in front of us, waved to the flight attendants, perused the safety brochure carefully before the flight, and slept most of the trip home.

I took what is now my favorite picture of her ever...


...am I the only one who melts at that smile ? Seriously, she slays me !!

All of the kids were sooooo happy to have their baby sissy back home. Before we left, Jack was pathetically moaning to me: "Mama, it is SO not fair !! We don't even get to keep Lily for the week, and she's the CUTEST one in the family !!!"


reunited :)

I'm so happy to be home after a wonderful week. I feel so refreshed and ready for the new year. I was overwhelmed by the amount of Lily fans who came up to us at conference - Carol and Val and Jody and the Aulson girls and Hanna and Andrea (I know I'm forgetting some, it's late here!). Thank you to all you for loving my girl so much, and thank you as well for letting me know how much you're praying for Baby K....


...please continue to do so, as we still need a miracle regarding his situation.

And now, it's time for a little shut-eye...


...good night !!!

14 comments:

Leah said...

I have missed you both on blog land! I wish I had been remotely close to come give you my friend a bear hug. Next time your in CA let me know cause I am dying to meet you & Lily. :) Glad it was a nice trip.

Maria said...

Pictures are stunning & way too cute! Your new favourtie is so
beautiful. The one of her on the ledge clutching her shoulder bag just kills me. She looks so grown up! Glad you're home safe. You look amazing!!

goldenleaves said...

She is so cute it makes my heart ache! I love how much her brothers love her! All little girls she be so lucky! You have such a beautiful family.

Amber Tamulewicz said...

Love all of the pictures!! Your new favorite is definitely mine too! So adorable :)

Deborah said...

Love her!

Stori Wann said...

She slays me too!! She is so adorable.

Crystal said...

You look radiant! Love the photo of you.

Kathy McElhaney said...

Yes, her smile melts my heart! And you're looking great!

The Graham Family said...

Oh. My. Goodness. She is THEE CUTEST thing I have EVER seen!!!! LOVE HER!!!! So wish your Lily and my Beatrice (who turns 2 this week!) could meet and play!

cara said...

I am SO glad you are back!! I was worried! I didn't realize you were going to the conference. You look absolutely beautiful in the picture. Hoping you are feeling better. Looks like you had a wonderful and refreshing time. What a blessing.

These are my new favorite pictures of Lily. Every time you post more, they always are. She just melts me. She is SO, SO precious. I am sure she was charming everyone around her for sure. Missed you all much and ALL the pics of Lily. xoxo

cara said...

Patti- had to tell you!!! I just logged on to show Benji the new pictures of Lily this morning. He is snuggling me in bed with his thumb in his mouth of course. When we got to the picture of her face close up in the bath, he was on his tummy. He took his thumb out and tried smiling like her. I kept saying Lily to him, and SO sweetly he just said Lily so clearly. Melts my heart!!! I wish I could catch it on video. He doesn't say many words at all, and never has said even one of his siblings names. I have a hard time getting Mama out of him. We definitely KNOW what motivates him. He also very much LOVES all these photos of Lily. xoxo

Leah said...

What a lovely trip (minus the illness). And your 20 week bump made me almost tear up. What the world? You look beautiful. Yes, Lily slays me too. Thanks for this peek into your last week.

Michelle Z said...

She is gorgeous! And such personality!!!

Your baby bump is adorable :) Hope you're feeling well.

Erin said...

I've never commented before, but I so enjoy your blog! That first picture of your sweet girl with the birthday balloons should be entered in a photo contest! Cutest pic ever!!! Happy Birthday to your baby girl! :)