Friday, January 4, 2013

It's a.....



...baby !!!!

We did not find out the gender on purpose :)

He/she is measuring 19 weeks and one day- and I am 19 weeks. The heart looks perfect, no swollen kidneys, no problems whatsoever. I hardly knew what to think when we were done....like - that's it ? Don't you want to point out lots of things/issues/etc.? Nope, just a lovely, boring ultrasound.

Except for the fact that I am IN LOVE !!

Head over heels in love. Baby Rice was moving around like crazy, sucking its fist, kicking, stretching, waving, folding and unfolding its arms and legs, turning over and over...little cutie didn't want to lie still !

But the best part of the day was the amazing story I'm going to share. I still have goosebumps.

I got this comment on my blog last night....



Hi... I too have an U/S today maybe at the same office as you.. I too have a beautiful daughter named Lily..she's 4... she is perfectly normal but in Sept of 2011 her baby brother was stillborn at 32 weeks due to trisomy 18.. we found out at his 19 week scan that something was wrong but
didn't do any testing until after he was born... this is my first Dr appt this pregnancy...I am 13 weeks... I have been waiting just to avoid stress...since Lily I have had 3 miscarriages and my boy and so going to the OB'S office issomething I've come to avoid. I'm nervous about today but trying to stay calm. I too am a Christian... somehow I stumbled into your blog today...I'm typing on a kindle which is challenging..parden. the typos ...

I pray we both receive good news today!

Would love for our Lily's to meet:)

Michelle 





So get this...my u/s was at 9:15 this morning. But by the time we did genetic counseling, met with the sonographer, and the doctor, and did a blood draw, it was 12:15. I had looked around the waiting room for who I thought "Michelle" might be before everything, but didn't see anyone who looked to be 13 weeks along.

When my ultrasound was over, I realized they only gave me a cd with the baby's pictures on it, and Kenzie and I were in a hurry to send a picture on our phones to relatives and friends. So I stopped at the desk to ask the receptionist if the doctor could just print me up a picture (I'm spoiled like that !) and she said she  would go check. The doctor said it would be a few minutes, so Sam went down to get the car while Kenzie and Lily and I waited.

The waiting room was empty, and I kept looking around for who I thought Michelle might be. Finally, after ten minutes, the receptionist called me to the window and apologized- apparently they let another mom go into room I was in, so it would be a long time until they could print a picture for me. I said we had to leave, and turned to go - I called Lily over to take my hand...


 ...and a beautiful young woman came up to me, smiling and saying, "This is so unusual, but..."

I asked, "Are you Michelle?!" She smiled the most stunningly sweet smile and said yes! I gave her a great big hug and we stood there talking, and the whole time I felt like I was in the twilight zone. I mean - what are the odds? She happens to read my blog last night for the first time - and happens to live in Oregon - and happens to have an ultrasound today - and happens to have it at the same hospital as me- and happens to run into me three hours after mine? Just when she needed a little encouraging from a mama who knew what it was to go through scary ultrasounds ! I asked Michelle if I could pray for her, and right there in the waiting room I prayed for the peace and grace of God to go with her into that ultrasound, and that she would know that God was looking out for her today. I felt such a wonderful, overwhelming presence of God fill that waiting room - I cannot put into words what a rush I got praying for that beautiful young mama. We promised to keep in touch through emails - Michelle, if you're reading this, THANK YOU for having the courage to come up to me and introduce yourself ~ I am blessed to have met you today.

I am so humbled that God is using Lily's blog to touch other's lives - honored and blessed beyond belief, that God gave us the gift of Lily so that we could minister to others and meet so many beautiful souls along the way.

And now I am going to pack ...Sam and I are taking Lily to San Diego in the morning. We are spending the weekend with my beloved sister-in-law and Sam's brother, and doing a parenting seminar for their church. Then we head to Arizona for a week of Bible conference....I had to go to urgent care last night because I was coughing so much, and apparently I have pneumonia. Sam had a wisdom tooth out on Wednesday and has had some complications- he has no feeling on the left side of his lip, tongue, and jaw. So maybe, if you think of it, pray for us this next week;) Never a dull moment at The Rice Ranch !!


I don't know that I will be able to post at all for a week...if you are having Lily withdrawals you can always follow us on Instagram at aperfectlily . Lots of cute photos there, and I'm meeting a great new community of like-minded mamas as well.

yes, Lily is asleep beside me ;)
Happy, happy, HAPPY day !!!


23 comments:

Mrs. K said...

May the Good Lord keep you and Michelle in His loving hands. May He heal you of your pneumonia and Sam of his facial problems steming from his wisdom tooth removal. OH NO I hope his wisdom wasn't removed. ;>) Preach well,you both are a good example of a happy and holy marriage. Love you so drive carefully and hope to see you Monday.

John 14:18 said...

TEARS! So so happy for you Patti. Cannot wait for Baby Rice to make his/her debut!

babypelly said...

Love this story!! I am only 14 weeks along and on the other side of the country... what are the chances you'll show up in Mass at my OB's office next month? hehehe
Safe travels this week!

Dylan'sMommy316 said...

That's such great news! Glad baby Rice is healthy and growing. :-)

The story about the Mama you ran into gave me goosebumps-not gonna lie.

lovemy3 said...

So happy for you!

Rochelle said...

Awesome news and awesome day! Congrats!

cathy said...

God Bless....He always does ;)

xoxo
cathy

Chasing Hazel said...

Have been thinking of you all day. So excited and happy to hear that your little nugget is doing well.
Peace & Love

amy said...

congratulations mamma!
sounds like it was an awesome day!

Kathy McElhaney said...

Such a beautiful story. There are no coincidences with God!

Crystal said...

How wonderful on all accounts! I'm 27 weeks along with #3....so have a little ways to go before I catch up with you. :-)

Krista said...

So beautiful. God has amazing ways of orchestrating life.

Kiara Buechler said...

It's amazing how God brings people into our lives right when we need them (you being there for Michelle). Praise the Lord for a healthy baby. Have a great week, I hope it is nice and warm down south for you.

Michelle said...

Patti...Oh my goodness...I already left you a message re:yesterday on your last blog before I saw this new one...
I feel so honored that you would include me in
your blog today....I feel as though I have gained a bosom friend somehow..(.my computer is
down and my kindle is a real blessing but ...lol...quite challenging to type on or I would
write more) You are right....it was such an amazing (God did this) moment....probably no
one but another mama who had been through what we have been through can begin to fathom
what it felt like for me to walk in there yesterday knowing my life was about to change and fighting my fear and crying out to God not
knowing if I was walking into a nightmare or a dream come true... and there you were...what
are the odds? :) My appointment was amazing....my baby looks perfect which is
nothing short of a miracle to me now....I am walking on clouds....I'm so glad that you were a
part of my day yesterday and that I got to meet Lily too...I so want my Lily to meet her...I'm
praying for your health and your hubbys too....I hope your trip goes well...

Michelle

Katrina said...

What a beautiful story. So glad to hear about your ultra sound and baby. Please email me if you have time to see me while you are in San Diego. I would love to meet you :)

cara said...

I saw Michelle's comment and now I am in awe of how the Lord used you to minister to her. What a blessing for you both!!!! God is SO GOOD! That is beautiful.

Praising God that baby looks healthy! We only did not find out the sex of our baby with Mary. But by the end of the pregnancy, I just knew. Cannot wait to see what you are having! What a precious ultrasound picture.

SO, SO sorry you are sick Patti. Praying for healing for you and Sam too. Much love to all of you all. xoxo

Maria said...

Chills! So happy for you, Patti.
What an amazing story. Isn't life beautiful?? Simply beautiful.
Can't wait for more updates.
Love,
Maria

Amy said...

I am so happy that the ultrasound showed good news and there are no scary health risks. Though I am sure you would have loved another little like Lily regardless. How wonderful that you met someone also going through the same thing and you were able to be there to support each other. Praying she got good news too!

Michelle Z said...

So happy for a good u/s -- and a healthy moving baby :)

The picture of Lily asleep by you during the u/s?! Be still my heart. She's so sweet!

Congratulations, dear friend. Now, you're naming that baby Michelle, right? After *ME*, not your new friend. Ahem. ;)

Gretchen said...

Oh my gosh. Seriously, such a wonderful post! A beautiful baby, a happy meeting with a new friend, beauty and grace all over the place!
Feel better and if you want to make a pit stop in Orange County, let me know. :-P

Heidi Ehle said...

PATTI!!! We're pregnant buddies! :)

gretchen said...

So happy and excited for you, Patti :) Email me if you get a minute. I would love to hear from you and how you are feeling and your new house and all that jazz!

Jane@flightplatformliving said...

i am in tears now! reading your blog out of order (as ever, i roll like that) and just jumped from the emotion of waiting for the sacn to this! When you wrote you hugged Michelle i burst into tears! I am crying on my toast again...will you stop doing this to me!