Saturday, September 1, 2012

the NO

I am quite sure I'm not the only parent whose child is obsessed with her Signing Times dvds by Rachel Coleman. If we even start humming the intro theme she makes a mad dash for the computer and starts pointing and signing "play" furiously, yelling for us to put her dvd in. She LOVES Signing Times.

One of the things I find so amazing is that she not only picks up the signs themselves, but the facial expression she's supposed to make when she does the sign.

At the end of one of our dvds Rachel Coleman gives some ASL tips. She explains that there are differences in the way you sign certain words to give them contextual meaning. For instance, you could sign "no" by closing your two fingers against your thumb and shaking your head "no" if you were simply answering a question. But if you want to tell someone "NO!" as in "don't touch that !" you quickly make the sign for no and make a firm "NO!" face while you're signing.

I looked all over youtube for the clip that I'm referring to at the end of that dvd, but I couldn't find it...the closest thing I could find was at the end of this clip...if you fast forward to one minute and 25 seconds you will see her expression and know what I'm talking about.





Ever since Lily watched that video she has PERFECTED the art of saying no. If she doesn't want to eat, she whips out her NO sign, complete with the scrunched up lips. If I tell her to get down off the table or put her toys away and she doesn't want to, she purses her little lips together in a pout, turns her head sideways and signs NO with vehemence. She is a champion NO signer.


Behold, the NO.

















and finally...



Somebody call Rachel Coleman and tell her there's a spunky two year old who needs to appear in her next dvd !

21 comments:

Ashley said...

Haha I LOVE her expressions! So cute :)

Jolene said...

That last one is so stinking cute! Spunky is right..she's so precious!

cathy said...

oh my goodness!!!!
TOO CUTE


xoxo
cathy

Danielle said...

um. she kills me!! those faces!!!! ackkkk I LOVE her!!! (:

ckbrylliant said...

Very cute! Love the look. Bridgie says 'nuh' for no have just started teaching her the signs for 'no, nice girl'. She made her own sing for 'ow'. She pulls her own hair or a dolls and says 'ooowwwuu'. You've encouraged me to get this one tape before she stops doing it!

SolaceMama said...

So sweet! O the spunk, cute and brilliant that is Lily... =D

Naomi Rice said...

Oh this is by far my favorite lily post!!!! She is too adorable!!!

eliz said...

O.K. this goes waaaaaay over the top of the cuteness meter!! LOVE YOU LILY!! (((HUGS)))

cara said...

Oh, wow, that last picture is PERFECTION!!!! LOVE it!! That is the cutest NO I have ever seen.

Benji came over here quickly when he heard Lily on here. xoxo

Cindy said...

She is so cute! You're right, she has NO! down quite well!

Katrina said...

Love her cute No face.

Sarah said...

Nope, not the only whose child is obsessed (in my case, sibling not child).... ;)

You are too darn cute, Lily!

Rochelle said...

Adorable No face Lily Anne!

Anna Theurer said...

Cheeky little cutie! What is it with toddlers picking up "no" so quickly and not the other signs? Ellie Bear has 6 words total--one of them is "no"--actually, a head shake and "OOOOH". Good job, Lily!!!!!

Deborah said...

Cute!

Race Bannon said...

hahahaahahahhahaha

Angel said...

HAhahaha! That is too adorable! What a spunky little smarty. :)

Mrs. K said...

Race, why are you laughting? That was your first word. But your expresions where not as cute.

Lori said...

"No" never looks that cute when my kids say it! :) I love the "No" sign!!

April Vernon said...

I love it!!!!!

Melissa said...

Claire gets a pretty serious NO face going too, but the expression she picked up from Rachel more than any other is sick. She sign it and have this super sad face on, and then just start laughing.