Thursday, September 20, 2012

sick day

Dearest Lily,

It's almost bedtime, and it's been a long day... in fact, it felt like bedtime hours ago. You've had a fever all day, which only dropped to normal with ibuprophen. You ate a few spoonfuls of yogurt and a cup or two of milk... I've tried all day to get you to drink, but you push the cup away and pinch your lips together. You don't want ice chips, popsicles, applesauce, juice, water, or even a sip of Mama's Izze. You don't want anything- except to be held by me. Even Daddy tried to pry you out of my arms when he came home from work, and you burst into tears and lunged for me. I wish you could talk so I knew what hurts...I suspect it's your tummy or your throat, based on your rejection of food. If you're not better tomorrow I'll take you in to the doctor - chances are it's just a virus, but I'd rather make sure it's not an ear infection you're fighting before the weekend hits.



I was going through old photos today and found some of you that I forgot about. It's crazy how just a few months have changed you so much. Your hair is longer now, and you're totally losing that baby look. I can't believe in a few months you'll be three!






Next week you start speech therapy. We've been working at imitating sounds with you, and you are sloooowly making progress. We use a cd your speech therapist made for us, combining songs and sounds with a letter chart. I'm excited about the progress we've seen on our own, and even more excited to have someone come who knows how to help you better than I do.

You are so quiet when we're out in public that I think it startles people when you start signing, or when you follow instructions. I can't tell you how many people- even friends - have seemed shocked when I ask you a question and you sign a response. "Wow, she really does understand what you're saying!" they'll say. I see it every day...when I ask you to bring something to Caleb or to show Mackenzie your hair...when I hand you something and tell you to go throw it in the garbage...when I tell you to go find a book so we can read a story...or ask you what you want for breakfast...I know you know what I'm saying. But it really does come as a surprise to those who don't see it on a regular basis.


We've also been working on helping you overcome sensory issues....in other words: getting you to touch things you don't like. I didn't really realize you were picky about things until Karen, your therapist, brought play dough to play with one day. You gingerly fingered a piece, but quickly pushed it aside when encouraged to play with it. What kid doesn't like play dough ???




Apparently you :)

You played with the plastic shapes and tools, but when Karen showed you how to roll a snake out of the play dough, you ran into the other room to play with her other toys. I mentioned that you have a hard time trying foods that don't "feel" right to you. For instance, if something is too sticky- like jelly or peanut butter- you won't try it once your hand touches it. But if I feed it to you, you'll eat it. If you pick up cooked rice you immediately throw it off your food tray, and the same goes for mashed potatoes. However- you love playing with yogurt and feeding yourself gooey spaghetti...so I can't quite figure out why some things are more appealing than others.

I also noticed a few weeks ago that you refused to step on the grass in a friend's backyard with your shoes off. Karen said this can be a sign of tactile defensiveness as well, so guess what we've been having you do?


Lots of barefoot outdoor play, and you're not minding a bit !



Well, it's past bedtime now, dearest Lily, and time for us both to get some rest. Praying my beautiful little girl is back to her spunky self in the morning....



Always yours,

Mama oxoxoxox

12 comments:

Holly said...

feel better, Lilly

nicole said...

Hope today is a better day for Miss Lily!

Deborah said...

Hope Lily feels better soon!

WifeofWorldsBestHusband&Daddy said...

Awww, poor Lily. Saying a prayer that you feel better soon. You are just TOO adorable!

Could you please ask your mommy how she keeps all that glass, in that gorgeous sun room, sparkling clean? : ) I'm sure My Man would like me to learn how to better clean the massive amounts of fingerprints and face prints off of our windows.

Mrs. K said...

Sweet Lily, I pray you are feeling much better today. That last picture made me laugh outloud. You look so "pixieish" and proud of yourself. I wanted to scoop you up and give you a huge hug.

Mariska said...

Hope she is feeling better today!!!

Allison said...

Cutest pictures! Love her! Hope she is feeling better today!

cara said...

Poor Lily! I am still praying for her. I know how hard it is when Benji is sick and wants nothing. I do not know what to do with him because he always so content for the most part.

Lily is doing SO good. She is one smart girl, and it doesn't surprise me a bit that she understands you so well. I bet she will enjoy speech therapy. That is Benji's favorite therapy out of them all. He sits in this little chair we have and pays attention to everything his therapist, Mahan, says. He really LOVES her toys. And he is learning and repeating sounds she has him repeat. I am so anxious for him to talk, but I know I must be patient.

goldenleaves said...

I hope she feels better soon!

My (typical)almost-3 year old absolutely HATED play-dough. Hated it. And refused to touch anything messy. Until one day it just clicked that it was FUN! He actually did a handprint in red paint at preschool last week and I was shocked! More than shocked!

Pam said...

Sweet Lily, I hope you will be feeling better real soon!

Damien said...

Hope Lily is feeling better soon, we have had a hard week with our little one, Maddison, fevers, cough and a rash slowly getting better now.

mrsodie2 said...

Pringles had a fever of 104 Wednesday through Saturday. Only medicine and mommy cuddles helped. Just the first of the school year viruses. Our doctors don't prescribe antibiotics for ear infections anymore. I guess the latest research says they're unnecessary. So I didn't even call her doctor. She's back to herself today, annoying her big sister.