Tuesday, September 25, 2012

my favorite day

Today was my favorite day.

Have you ever had one of those days where you woke up and had this nice feeling that things were going to be good, and then the day just delivered? I had one of those today.

It started out with just me and her....


 

...spending an hour of alone time together, before everyone else woke up. I got Lily dressed for the day, put her hair up in pigtails, and snapped this pic in our sunroom as the morning sun began its ascent into the blue, blue sky. Just a quick pic on my new iphone (don't forget to follow us on instagram at aperfectlily!) and I think it's my favorite pic ever ~ perfect to go with the day.

And it just got better from there.



Lily had therapy this morning and said a kajillion new words. She was a little sleepy after getting up early with me, but she hung in there like a champ and impressed Karen with her new verbal skills. Lots of hard work is starting to pay off, and I absolutely love watching my little Lily blossom. She's going to be talking up a storm by this time next year.

She fell asleep in my arms as Karen said goodbye, and then Sam came home to take me out to lunch - my favorite food on the planet, Hawaiian. We shared a blahlah plate in central park and talked about how well Lily did at therapy. We soaked up the sun and relaxed and enjoyed time alone...another notch in my favorite day belt. He dropped me off at home where I joined Lily for the rest of her afternoon nap, promising the kids we would go on a nice walk when we woke up.



Did I mention it was my favorite day???




Sam and I have been taking evening walks since we moved to this neighborhood. There are gorgeous walking trails looping in between houses and weaving through the forest, and we're discovering new ones every week. One evening I saw this perfect little meadow nestled between several houses, just off one of the trails. I made a mental note to bring the children back to play, so today we packed up a football and water bottles for the kids, cheerios and a sippy cup for Lily, and headed to the meadow...


...and if I told you we enjoyed a perfect afternoon to go along with our favorite day, would you believe me?





Okay, so maybe today wasn't everyone's favorite day.

But it was mine!


The older boys played football while Lily, Abbi, Jack and I stretched out on the quilt and watched. Jack had begged me to bring apples from home, but we didn't have any and I didn't want to run to the store...so in keeping with the perfection of the day, the meadow delivered as well...




...they ate apples to their hearts' content.


*Lily preferred cheerios





As a side note- these pictures don't even do that meadow justice. I actually had to de-saturate them a little bit in Lightroom, because the colors were so vibrant. I have always been a nature lover, but as I've gotten older I'm convinced I was a tree worshiper in a previous life. Except I don't believe in reincarnation. Or worshiping trees. But still....I love them.



Like really love them.



No, I mean I REALLY LOVE TREES.


Moving on....


...we worked on Lily's tactile/sensory/grass issues.


...it didn't go so well.

But that's okay, because we weren't going to let a little thing like tactile/sensory/grass issues get in the way of our favorite day.

And anyway, that's what quilts are for.


We spent a lovely golden hour in the meadow before heading home again.
As the sun began to set and my beloved trees cast long shadows on the sidewalk, we packed up our belongings and vowed to return another day.


We had pancakes for dinner and enjoyed a relaxing evening at home...






Yup.

Today was my favorite day.


15 comments:

WickedMack said...

love that last photo of Lily before leaving the meadow, it's perfect :)

nicole said...

So happy you had such a great day! Love the b&w of Abbi carrying Lily ~ just beautiful with that TREE in the background.

Melanie said...

Love happy days! I'm in the middle of chemo treatments for breast cancer and and the last two days I have felt great! Sure makes me appreciate the little things. Do you love your new house yet? Hope everyone has settled well. Lily makes me smile everyday.

Deanna said...

Wish I could have been part of your perfect day- sounds fabulous! (-: Love all of the pictures.

Kiara Buechler said...

So wonderful! I feel so calm after reading this.

SolaceMama said...

O please tell me where is good Hawaiian? Our anniversary is is a couple weeks and that may be just the thing we need... Since we can't begin to afford going back... :(

Crystal said...

It's hard to have a bad day on an Oregonian autumn day. :-) Can I join you next time?

Monique Rice said...

Aww cute pics! Looks like allot of fun! I happen to not like Tuesdays lol only cus its the only day of the week Jo and i dont see eachother at all :O

Mrs. K said...

Oh I am missing out on so so much. Give all my grand'babies a kiss and hug please.

lovemy3 said...

I can definitely see why it was your favorite day! Lily gets more beautiful every day and is looking so grown up!

My Little Wonders said...

What a perfectly lovely day. :)

cara said...

Looks like a perfect day for sure!!! I still cannot get over how much Lily is growing. She is truly blossoming. LOVE these beautiful pictures. Love how you cherish all the minutes. Thank you for sharing. xoxo

Lori said...

Your brother and Joshua must have an extra chromosome too because they both hate being barefoot anywhere except in the house...even at the beach!!!

Alaina and Kyle said...

So cute! Lily always makes me smile!

Jane@flightplatformliving said...

kajillion...is that a word! i love love love it! and your kids, oh be still my heart! they are so scrummy! The tactile issues...just keep on keeping on...did you ever see my post about similar things with Tilly here xxxxx
http://textgeorge.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/tilly-moments-1-sand.html