Sunday, August 26, 2012

where your treasure is

A week and a half ago Sam handed me a package that had come in the mail for me. I saw the sender's address and I grinned, because I'd been waiting for something to arrive from my sweet friend, Michelle Z. She had texted me the week before and told me she was sending me "a little something", and I had been telling her ever since that "I just knew it was an orphan and I couldn't wait to see which one she sent me."

Of course we both knew I was teasing. But I had no idea she was sending me the next best thing.







And yes, I cried.


This drawing, now hanging on my refrigerator, is my most valuable possession. You know those questions on What If games, like, "What if there was a house fire, and you had to grab one thing. Aside from your kids, what would it be?"

I'd grab this picture.

Because although this picture was drawn by a little girl who lives on the other side of the world from me, and although I've never met her, she has had my heart for a very long time.

Olga drew this picture, and her mama auctioned it off in a fundraiser to bring her home (and I'm sure she has quite a few hanging on her 'fridge as well!) and my sweet and wonderful friend Michelle Z bought it and sent it to me. And I am so grateful.


You see, there's a person behind that picture. A beautiful, blond haired little girl with shining, soulful eyes, who has been waiting all her life for someone to call her their daughter. She's known life in an orphanage, and perhaps she's known some measure of attention, but has she known love? real love? I doubt it. She's never known what it means to be part of a loving family, or known what it means to be valued.


She's never drawn a picture and watched her mama proudly hang it on the refrigerator for everyone to see.


She's been waiting too long.



Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. Matthew 6:21


Where is your treasure?

Is it in the things of the world, the trinkets that you could buy in a department store, or in a magazine? Is it in the house you own, the car you drive, is it in a bank account somewhere?


I know where mine is.


It's hanging on the refrigerator in my kitchen, a reminder of what really matters, a link to a little girl who desperately needs to come home.


My dear friend Charrissa is hosting a fabulous giveaway to help the Abell family bring Olga and Vanessa home. Among a wealth of wonderful prizes, they are giving away a Macbook Pro valued at $1200...



a $100 Amazon gift card




and an autographed copy of The Pioneer Woman Cooks...donated by Ree Drummond herself.




Will you go help ransom Olga and Vanessa? Will you invest in a treasure that is far more precious than silver or gold?


Go HERE to enter the Bringing Home Olga and Vanessa Giveaway. Leave a comment saying Lily sent you, and receive an extra entry.


Where is your treasure?

10 comments:

Niks said...

I don't normally comment but in an interesting series of events I have recently been seeing the time 12:34 often when I look at the clock. Last night while attending an overnight prayer service at my church I went through and looked at all the books with chapter 12, verse 34. One of which is Luke 12:34 "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Keeping your family and these amazing little creations of God in my prayers.

John 14:18 said...

aw Michelle is so sweet, I'm so glad you ended up with it, I know how much you love her!!

John 14:18 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rochelle said...

Oh I cried too, I can't wait until that girl is HOME!

cara said...

That is the most beautiful picture Patti!!!! I know how much it makes your heart melt. Mine too!! Thank you for posting a pic of it.

I will go to the giveaway soon. I have money sitting here that my husband will deposit tonight or tomorrow just for this. It was from Abigail; she wants to give her money to Olga. She has been saying this, and I am going to have him deposit it now!! And I will see what we can give as well. xoxo

Mandy said...

I can't wait to see sweet Olga come home! She started so many families on a new journey, including ours. We have two sons and are on our way back across the sea for a daughter, all because of you and Olga!

teal915 said...

What a great gift.

Danielle said...

precious precious precious!!! and I love your new header too (:

Michelle Z said...

Awwww, just reading this now :)

So glad I was able to win it for you, and keep it a surprise!

I love what you've done for Olga -- and so many, many more orphans :)

Jenn said...

I didn't know she won it for you. We have one here for you and one for Stephanie. We were waiting for her Gotcha Day picture to go with it :) Now you'll have 2.