Friday, July 20, 2012

seven things I love about saturday mornings

*This post was supposed to go up last Saturday. However...some things got in the way. Namely ~ Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. And that pretty much sums up how life at the new and improved Rice Ranch has been since moving. So here you have it..my Seven Things I Love About Saturday Mornings post.... on Friday.

#1 The family bed

I don't know how this ritual started, but it seems almost exclusively reserved for this day. Sam wakes up hours before me and leaves for prayer at our church, so maybe it's his empty spot in the bed sounding out a silent Morse code to the subconscious minds of our little ones: space available; get in while you can. Or maybe there's a little alarm that goes off in their collective brains: It's Saturday morning - party in Mom's bed. Whatever the true cause, Saturday mornings mean multiplied little Rice kids sleepily stumbling into my bedroom at the crack of dawn, each one whispering to the next to "scoot over a little bit"... until I'm pretty much taking up the last three inches of our queen sized bed.





#2 Lily's Bedhead Look

I love her in braids, ponytails, or just a sideswipe with a bow. She can rock pigtails like nobody's business, and one of her readers even went so far as to leave this comment: must.wear.pigtails.always.  But my favorite hairstyle is her classic Bedhead Look. Which is admittedly not reserved for Saturdays alone, but seems to display itself more ferociously than on any other day of the week.

And can I just say, the world would be a better place if the Bedhead Look was a badge of honor to be worn in public, at least on Saturdays?





#3 Sleepy Smiles

Looking back on photos of my children- especially my oldest three who are now adults - my favorites are not the carefully posed shots where outfits were color coordinated and every hair was in place. Rather, it's the unscripted moments captured on film (that ancient method of preserving memories!) that form a lump in my throat and make me wish I could go back to that point in time. Pictures of Jason and Josiah enjoying waffles in bed on a "sick" day, their hair haplessly sticking up and sleepy smiles spread across their (healthy!) boyish faces as they grin guiltily into the camera ...  Or a photo of Mackenzie, waking up on her birthday morning and running into the kitchen to see a present-laden table. Her eyes crinkled in half moons and the pattern of a blanket softly imprinted on her cheek, she is oozing anticipation. I want to capture those childhood memories for all of my children, even if it means surrendering my three inches of a warm bed to find a misplaced camera for that purpose...






#4 Sibling Love

They're just like any other kids- they're each others best friends and worst enemies. We have to remind them daily...sometimes hourly...be kind. talk nicely. forgive. But somehow Saturday mornings bring out the best in them, and it's like there's an unwritten rule ~ this day is drama free. Almost instinctively they wake up in happier moods and treat each other more gently. It's as if some Magic Sibling Fairy waved a wand over their sleeping heads and whispered into their little ears: kindness only today.
I just wish I knew how to convince her to make it a daily ritual :)


Caleb had hernia surgery last week...ice packs, vicodin and sisterly love went a long way towards healing.



#5 Old Skillets

 I know. That makes no sense. But it would if you were here last Saturday. Because my trusty old skillet decided to give up the ghost after one sad and final little batch of ruined buttermilk pancakes.



Now why would that make my seven things I love about Saturday mornings list, you ask? Good question. 

Enter...  My Hero (aka Sam Rice) who is able to drive to Bed Bath and Beyond leap tall buildings in a single bound and purchase for me a brand-spanking-new aluminum non-stick skillet in less than fifteen minutes, thus rescuing seven little Ricelets from a pancake-less Saturday morning. 

Any excuse to buy something new for my kitchen makes me happy. And her too...

Lily, post pancake bliss

These two had a pancake eating contest....



Guess who won??


Still bff's even after a pancake smackdown??? That's what Saturdays can do...



#6 Saturday Morning Chores

This tradition stretches back through the ages, long before the Rice Ranch was even a twinkle in Sam's eye.

However, if I could travel back in time and tell nine year old Patti Kopp that one day she would be singing the praises of Saturday Morning Chores, she probably would have smacked me in the face with her bottle of Lemon Pledge. And after that she might have snatched the Johnny Mathis record off our turntable and cracked it over my head just for emphasis. Because at that age- when Lemon Pledge and Johnny Mathis were to Saturday Morning Chores what peanut butter and jelly are to bread - I LOATHED Saturday Morning Chores. They got in the way of everything. Sleeping in, being lazy, and most of all- Saturday Morning Cartoons. To this day the smell of Lemon Pledge in the air sends shivers down my spine. (Although I admit to tolerating Johnny Mathis every once in awhile, purely for nostalgia's sake.)

So what changed? I dunno. I really don't, except maybe somewhere in between age nine and forty-four I developed a love for all things clean and tidy. And it helps that I have an army of little people who are dragged kicking and screaming willingly volunteer their time and effort every Saturday morning to achieve that goal.

Lily, putting away dishes from the dishwasher


a counter full of dishes? not a problem. call in the troops and crank up Pandora - set to Disney soundtracks....boo-yah, baby.


And last but not least.....





#7 Lily's Bedhead Look

Oh, did I mention that already? Well it deserves a second shout-out. I mean who couldn't love that little crinkly eyed smile framed by sticky-syrupy-golden locks? She makes Saturdays...make that every day... come alive with her wild-child hair and matching personality. If she didn't already have us completely wrapped around her bent little pinky, this look would have sealed the deal. She's a pint-sized pixie with a triple dose of charm...in fact, if you look up the word charm in the dictionary, this picture will be right next to it.





Well, it should be, anyway !




Happy Almost Saturday !!!



p.s. what do YOU love about Saturdays?

22 comments:

cathy said...

Bless your healthy, beautiful family!

Your house has turned into a HOME

xoxox
cathy

Lily is simply adorable, just sayin'

Race Bannon said...

Chances are...

Sandryte said...

Adorable children!

I like keeping the usual routine on Saturdays: not sleeping in and missing half the day. It's the best when we wake up early, have a slow breakfast, a walk, clean up the house during son's nap, a movie in the evening.. :)

Elissa said...

Patti-We used to have a pretty set ritual on Saturday mornings at our house too, at least for the morning time. I loved it and have such fond memories. I hope that at some point we can get the same type of routine going in our house so that I can leave my girls with precious memories of wonderful Saturdays.

I am so proud of you for sticking to your blogging when you can and not feeling forced to blog. I mean, dont get me wrong, we all miss your blogs, but the best part of missing your blog posts is that I know you are taking every sweet moment of life and making the most of it with your family and with God.

Love you friend.

Lori said...

Oh I think those are my seven favorite too...how could they not be with all those sweet pics!! Definitely love the bedhead look....the twins and Elli wear it well too ;) Kiss all those beautiful little faces for me!! I sent you a treaty...tell me when you get it ;) - you can use it to make next Saturday morning even more wonderful!!! ;)

Crystal said...

Saturdays are long run days. Depending on what I'm training for, anywhere from 5 to 15 miles. So relaxing!

Monique Rice said...

This is the cutest post! I LOVE seeing pics of all the kids doing things together. My fave things about Saturdays is finding my husband after a long week of work and chores and just being with him, doing whatever our little hearts desire :) We are also happier and more friendly on Saturdays >:D

nicole said...

They all look so happy ~ good job, Mama!

Jennifer said...

Lily looks SO BIG in that final picture!!! She's looking more and more like a big girl!!! SO cute!!

Jennifer said...

FYI - that last comment was from me. I was signed in with my wrong account. :)

MIRANDA URIARTE said...

cute pics:)

Rochelle said...

Love Lily's bedhead. And absolutely no Saturday morning chores here! I hated those as a kid too so we do a little each day and have our weekend sabbath!

Erin Beaudette said...

I love having my husband home for a lazy Saturday morning followed by a trip to our local Farmer's Market. I think I'm going to steal the Saturday Morning Chores though and won't my girls be so happy about that :)

Jennifer said...

I love Lily's hair. She is too cute.

My favorite thing on Saturday morning is listening to my husband talk and play with the kids on while he lets me sleep in/relax. It is heavenly.

Dylan'sMommy316 said...

Your family seriously makes me smile. :-)

I love Saturday mornings (especially when I can sleep in)!

Mrs. K said...

This is your slave driver Mother speaking. See, even your Saturday morning memories are pleasant memories and a good foundation for you to create your own family memories. Busy hands make a clean house and build family togetherness. OK, so I worked during the week and had to get the house cleaned, do the laundry, and grocery shop all in one day so I had to enlist 3 extra sets of hands. It didn't harm you as your home is a perfect example of your strict upbringing. ;>)

PS Look for a pkg from Dad and I...better late than never. ;>)

PPS. Love that casual bedhead look on that sweet smiling Lils.

Maria @ Life on M Avenue said...

i love this post! seriously can't wait for tomorrow morning to get here now! and i LOVE the bed head!!! looking forward to my little girl's hair getting that long. :)

pathsofwrighteousness said...

What a beautiful post. I'm sure when your children are grown, they'll have wonderful memories of their Saturdays growing up.

April Vernon said...

Such a sweet post. I absolutely love the last of the sleepy smiles photos. What a great shot! Good to hear from you!

Elisabeth said...

I love your family tradition of Saturday morning chores! We should look into implementing that around here. I'm sure the boys would love it! :) And Lily's bedhead is so very cute!

cara said...

LOVE this post Patti!!!!

And I LOVE Lily's bedhead for sure!!! Extra, extra cute.

Every time I read a post like this about you all, I am cracking up because we are SO much alike. Our Saturday mornings are very similar. We pile in my bed or at least my room. There is plenty of bedhead and love going around. We have breakfast, and then time for chores. Yes, even on Saturday mornings.

Karly Jaco said...

I LOVE Lily's bed head look too. Oh how she brightens my day that sweet girl! I hope we get to meet you someday and her and Ava can play!