Wednesday, June 20, 2012

who I am

I am not a syndrome...




I love to play with my baby dolls, change their diapers, feed them cheerios. I carry them with me wherever I go, I tuck them into their beds, sing and rock them to sleep.

I am a child.


I am not "a Downs child".


I have my own personality. I look like my brothers and sisters and yet uniquely like myself (just like my siblings do!),  I have different moods and likes and dislikes, I am independent and strong-willed and very much my own person.

I am a child.



I'm a not a disability.


I can tell you what I want to eat, use a spoon to feed myself, use my manners to tell you "please" and "thank you", share my food with you if you like, and even ask for more.

I am a child.



I am not "retarded."


I am smart and precocious, I am curious and spunky and feisty, I am creative and intuitive and resourceful, and I love, love, LOVE to learn.

I am a child.





I am not a diagnosis.


I am an individual, a person, a little girl. I am healthy and strong and full of life, and I have a wonderful, promising future ahead of me.

I am a child.


I am not a burden.


I have parents who adore me, siblings who love to teach me new things, a family and friends who count me as one of their greatest blessings. I'm not a hardship or a problem, in fact I bring joy to the lives of everyone who meets me.


I am a child.


I am not a mistake.


I am not a chromosomal disorder or an error in cell division or a genetic deviation.



I was created and designed with a purpose, I am "fearfully and wonderfully made."


"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart." Jeremiah 1:5



I am a child.

36 comments:

Sarah said...

Beautiful.

Becca said...

I thoroughly, THOROUGHLY enjoyed this post, Patti!!! Absolutely lovely. Btw, Sammi used to have the dress she's wearing in the last few pics, only in green. Soooo cute!

Caitlin said...

Loved this post. Sharing for sure. Lily is just as gorgeous as ever!

Rochelle said...

I so could have written this post today with all the stares I keep getting at the pool. Ugh, seriously folks they are just little girls, I am sure you have seen a million.

Krista said...

Just lovely.

Bessie said...

Love posts like this.

Bessie said...

Love posts like this.

Anna Theurer said...

Well said Miss Lily. You are a LilyBird and a Child of God.

btw, Ellie was eying those sparkly pink shoes of yours.

Leah said...

Just lovely!

DebW said...

You are a beautiful child, Lily! Never doubt it!

Karly Jaco said...

well said! Just beautiful!

Maria @ Life on M Avenue said...

i love this :)

southerninlaw said...

Your Lily is so beautiful. I love this post, it's so powerful!

I am going to have to include it in my "friday favourites" post this week! :)

Holly said...

Beautiful words for a beautiful daughter!

Pam... said...

What a lovely children's book this post would make. You should consider it. Seriously.

I thought to myself, wow. I know I would tire of those descriptions for sure. Each one of us, after all, has slight imperfections inside and out. Noticeable and not. And we wouldn't want people to 'name us' by those things. Imagine!

kenda said...

This is beautiful and so true. We have been at the hospital all of Koralyn's life so far. Often times doctors and nurses will come into the room and talk about Koralyn first like I am not here and second using terms like, "oh these hypoplast babies" or "Oh these heart kids." It is demeaning and hurtful to me and I think to myself, she is not just that, she is my child, a child of God, have some respect! Beautiful way to put it!

pathsofwrighteousness said...

She's beautiful. And she's a blessing.

Elizabeth said...

Perhaps one of my most favorite posts ever. You just taught me something I hadn't consciously realized. I love that Lily! She is a blessing to this world and so is her mom for sharing her!

cathy said...

BEAUTIFUL


xoxo
cathy

Jenny said...

So beautiful...And that last picture of Lily just melts my heart. What a sweet girl :)

kate kopp said...

Oh,so beautiful!! Lily is such a sweetheart too!! Love it!!

Thinker said...

I have a sister with disabilities all I can say is AMEN!!

mrmeadowlark said...

Patti, I love it. You see, as you may or may not know, I have Asperger's syndrome... a very mild form of autism. Anyway, I made up my mind a few years back, that I would be darned if I was going to let my condition define me as a person.... I am so many other things.... a son, a brother, an uncle, a nephew, a good friend, a cook, and a DJ, to let a label imposed upon me by society define who I am as a person. I fullheartedly believe the Holy Spirit gave me this idea, to not let a label placed on me by society, define me as a person.

vermonter said...

What an awesome post. I think it should be written and put on PINTEREST for all to see. I am not related to your family but have followed A Baby sent from the Stars and then become a follower of yours and this post just brought tears rolling down my cheeks. She is so beautiful and it is a shame that everyone is not treated the same. Why must there be a label on any human? There shouldn't be. PERIOD.... Thank you for allowing me to share your blog.

Lori said...

She is losing that babiness and looking more like a little girl...crazy...I love that long hair!!!

nicole said...

Amen!

kk parker said...

I love all of this including your attitude and family, too! Your daughter is beautiful!
kkp

Marci said...

Amen!

Monique Rice said...

Love this post. Love Lily!

Nancy said...

A beautiful blessing.

Elizabeth said...

So poignantly put. Thank you for the beautiful words and stunning photography.

Kristy Sayer said...

Just wanted to let you know I just posted this on my friday favourites (http://southerninlaw.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/friday-favourites-22-june-2012.html)

lovemy3 said...

Love, love, love this post!!!!

cara said...

Thank you for sharing this Patti!!!! It is SO, SO true!!! I needed it too.

Lily- you are a precious, beautiful, adorable child. And God is using you to help change lives. LOVE all these beautiful pictures of you. I would not be able to put you down if I lived with you. I bet you have hugs and kisses all day long. xoxo

Jo's Corner said...

Made me cry. Oh, Lily, you are a beautifully little girl. I want a little girl just like YOU! Such a wonderful post, Mommy. Love You!

Kellan's momma said...

Love it!
Christina