Monday, June 18, 2012

reclaiming our children

My fellow blogging mama and sweet friend, Jenny, has written an excellent review of the book The Shape of the Eye, by George Estreich. I received a copy of this book from its publisher for review...
I am still in the middle of reading it, and embarrassingly only halfway through about six other books as well. That's what happens when you throw a moving project into the middle of a big family's already bursting-at-the-seams life ! (and off topic- if you've emailed me in the past week and have not heard back yet, my inbox reflects the current chaos in our household. I promise to reply as soon as I can!)

I could relate to this book for so many reasons, not the least of which is the fact that the author lives in my town, and his daughter was born at the same hospital Lily was. She was also treated up at OHSU, where Lily spent the first week of her life... I felt so validated about my feelings regarding that hospital stay after reading Estreich's own experience there.

Anyhooo...Jenny has written an excellent review of Estreich's book, and in particular what in his book resonated with her. I love what she has to say, and especially how this phrase stood out to her:

  "The desire to reclaim a child from diagnosis."



I hope you'll take the time to read Jenny's thoughtful review called What it is to be a "Downs" , as it speaks so well to what so many of us feel as parents of children with Down syndrome.

8 comments:

Becca said...

Funny - I just finished reading her post this minute. It was definitely an *excellent* piece she wrote. I have the book, too, but mine is also sitting amid a stack of 6 or 7 others.

Alice in Wonderland Cakes said...

Hi Patti,

I'm a long time reader, first time commenter from the UK. We have just watched an incredibly moving documentary on our BBC called 'Ukraine's Forgotten Children', here is a link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01k2g45 it's all about life in an institution in the Ukraine for children and adults with disabilities. I am a special needs teacher and I can't wrap my head around the fact that the students I am teaching would be treated like this, in Europe in 2012. I'll go to work tomorrow, deliver my lessons, chat to my students, we'll share a coffee at break time (I teach in lifelong learning, post 18), talk about the Olympics coming to London, our football team, just a normal day. And yet... Others with the same diagnosis will never be able to go to the college cafe, ask for a drink, pay for it, and just, live their lives. What can I do to help, I am screaming inside! As a mother I want to to rescue the children, my husband does not agree, so I must be able to do something as a teacher? I don't know but I will be searching for an answer. Now I must go to bed as its nearly 11pm and I will be yawning during lessons!
Alice

Mrs. K said...

Love Lils exciting dress, matches her personality.

Race Bannon said...

I watched a book conference on CSPAN that ended with advice to readers, and all on the panel agreed, "...allow yourself to not finish a book, and move on to the next one." The point was, if the book doesn't hold you, its the author's fault, not yours.

...I'm running out of bookmarks, that was the worst advice I ever got!

A pathologically information hungry mother said...

Sounds like a very interesting book. I remember reading Dr. Sears' article about disciplining special needs children where he says to try and overcome the urge to handle the diagnosis as a project and rather focus on the person... It really rang home as I do that a lot...

Krista said...

I agree, it was a great review, I am compelled to read it myself...mostly I just posted a comment so I could say hi to you and Lily though, so HI!

nicole said...

I remember reading somewhere that children with Ds look more like each other than their families and it immediately struck me as untrue. Lily looks so much like a Rice and nothing like Pudge, or Bree, or Addison or . . . Lily is her own girl and I'm glad her family gets that.

DeAnn said...

Just now catching up on your blog from the last few weeks while we've been busy getting our own house ready to list for sale. I LOVE this post! I'm sharing it on FB and wanted to tag you but then realized your not there anymore :-( I know life is crazy right now with your move, but if you get into FB again soon I'd love to still be your friend <3