Tuesday, May 1, 2012

lily's bucket list

Dearest Lily,

Last winter Patsy, your physical therapist, told me that when the weather turned, there would be wonderful opportunities for you outside our house. Once spring came, she said, you could go outside and learn how to walk and run on a variety of surfaces: grass, dirt, our wrap-around deck, the long uneven driveway that stretches from our front steps out to the highway...you would learn to climb stairs, step over sticks and rocks and wade through weeds.



And I remember smiling to myself as Patsy carefully penned those instructions on her lined yellow paper: "take advantage of outside opportunities" and wondering if our ambitious therapist was observing the same child I was. Because in December you were just beginning to take those first wobbly steps towards toddlerhood..and although "walk independently for five feet" and "walk on a variety of surfaces" were goals I knew you would one day be reaching, I certainly didn't foresee you meeting and surpassing them any time soon.


Turns out I didn't have a clue.



Because I can't stop you now. You pound on the door if you see your siblings outside playing, you yell at me and sign "outside" with a vengeance, and as soon as the front door is open you hit the ground running.



And getting you to stand still for a picture? Almost impossible. I think your sissy took a hundred photos to get a few still shots....





...and you were definitely not happy to pose for them. You saw the neighbor's dog and wanted to run to the fence to check him out. You raced down the driveway, away from the camera, clomping your pink Mary Janes and laughing all the way.

You are a girl on the go.



So this little lesson in life - the one called "expect, don't accept" - has got me thinking about what else you might have up your little sleeve.




I have so many hopes for you, dearest Lily, so many dreams and prayers about your future. I want so much to hold onto those goals and believe that you'll not only meet them one day, but exceed them beyond our wildest dreams. I want you to be able to talk and to talk well. I want to know what you're thinking and feeling, want you to be able to articulate your needs, I want you to be able to read and write...

So I stock up on stories of hope, and every time I read one or hear one I write down a new dream for you on the lined yellow paper in my mind: "take piano lessons" and "have a host of friends" and "learn to swim".



But maybe you have other plans.

Maybe you're just smiling at me as I pen those ambitions on the tablets of my heart, because really you're wondering if I'm observing the girl in front of me...the one who is unstoppable, the girl who's on the go, the one who is already proving that I really don't have a clue...




Maybe you've got a whole notebook filled with hopes and dreams, a well-spring of ambitions, a Lily's Bucket List, if you will ... 




...and maybe it's filled with goals I never thought of, never dared to hope for, couldn't begin to fathom if I tried...


"Write a book" or "Start a quilt shop" or "Swim the English Channel"


Who knows what my little girl has up her sleeve...





So for now I'll keep tucking those dreams away, sweet Lily, because if there's anything I've learned in the last two years of loving you, it is this:











....the best is yet to come !






Always yours,

Mama oxox

18 comments:

Jane@flightplatformliving said...

oh please let it be swim the English Channel!!! I will be there crying and cheering to great you Lily if it is! xxxxx

Team Lando said...

This was great, Patti!

Becky said...

Keep expecting and not accepting be ause she will achieve every time! I dreamed about the day when I would start to see Kristen show signs of early reading, because I dreamed but often times doubted. When I watch her do sight words and pick up easy readers and start trying with what she knows, my heart overflows with joy! She may have her own bucket list too but there are some things I can help her to achieve that are just a part of life...things I used to think may never happen but are now! Remember, with God anything is possible and Kristen shows me that every single day.

nicole said...

I hope "visiting Ohio" is on her bucket list . . . yeah, probably not. (Race ~ no snarky comments!)

Jenny said...

Loved this :)

Elle's mommy said...

I loved this! You brought tears to my eyes! She is so absolutely beautiful...I LOVE that last picture! What a sweet little lady! I pray for you and your family...hope Jesus is covering you and bringing peace thru this time...

Elle's Mommy

Elizabeth said...

Just look at those little arms stretched out and ready to go! I bet Lily will do things beyond your wildest dreams!

Kelly Marin said...

Patti I love your new header, and I can't believe how big Lily is getting, she definately is looking like a toddler:) I love all the pictures, she seriously would make the cutest baby model!

Leah said...

So true. Yet at the same time so hard to believe. Even though I KNOW that Cora will do so many things, the idea of her walking at all seems so far away, even though she's only 1 year younger than sweet Lily. Funny. This is beautiful.

Lori said...

She is sooo cute!! She is a Rice baby...pretty sure that means there are some crazy self-made videos and pictures in that future - esp if she is anything like her sister and brothers ;)

Kiara Buechler said...

These photos are the best yet! She is so beautiful, and I love her little personality.

Karly Jaco said...

Love this!!

Renee said...

I absolutely love this! It brought tears to my eyes. Lily is so adorable!!

It's funny because I can't get Arya to sit still for pictures either. I have so many shots of her running away from me. lol

lovemy3 said...

Beautiful! I have such a battle internally with accept vs expect! I can't find a good balance of the two.

Krista said...

Our kids are capable of so much. I am so inspired and excited to see what comes of this generation who have all the resources, love and hopefully acceptance that they need to succeed.

cara said...

This is encouraging Patti!! Benji began walking months ago, but he is not using that as his main mode of transportation. He is SO cautious. And he does not seem to be progressing much to me. The therapists tell me he will get there. But I have been concerned. Yesterday he fell and bit through his lip at therapy; had to go to the Dr. I am hoping this does not set him back. But maybe his therapists are right; maybe one day he will just take off and never stop.

And most of all, you have reminded me to just cherish him for who he is. I do just soak him in daily and cherish him. I am SO thankful for every minute with him. But I need to stop being so concerned about what he is not doing.

Mrs. K said...

Lilybird, I do not know what that extra chromosome has to do with your progress 'cause you sure are not letting it hold you back. Mama, Daddy and your siblings just couldn't wait for you to walk...now you are running. You love your signs and it seem to Grammi you will soon be verbalizing and adding to the chatter of a home filled with lots of chatter. You are so blessed Lily Anne and so are we who know you and love you dearly. xoxoxoxox

Heather said...

I know you do not want to hear this but SHE IS GROWING UP SO FAST!!! Look at this Lilybird! When I started following y'all she was a little muffin, a few months old, and now she's a bonafide toddler. Wow.....

With that said...she's got such a bright future ahead. College? Marriage? You might be offering her advice on decorating a home of her own at some point...and she's going to roll her eyes just like every daughter will. :) The sky's the limit for your Lilybird! God bless her!