Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My Big Fat Easter Post

Before I share My Big Fat Easter Post, I wanted to ask readers to make sure to check back in at the end of the week. I have a very special post that I've been working on, and you don't want to miss it!

And next I just want to say...I can't believe how many Easter posts I saw in blogland on Sunday night. All I can say is- wow. You ladies are on top of it. One blog I read even had Easter pictures posted the day before Easter. But these are probably the people who shop for all their Easter goodies and plastic grass and egg dyeing kits the day after Christmas. Whereas I...had to wedge my shopping cart carefully between 500 other last-minute shoppers on Saturday morning at the grocery store, and then dive bomb between two hesitating moms for the last four bags of pink plastic grass. (For the record: I won.)

Someone was glad I did...


But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Saturday evening I carefully lined the kitchen counter with triple layered paper towels and multiple glasses filled with foaming vinegar and Paas tablets. I strictly instructed my children that there would be no elbowing siblings out of the way to grab their favorite color, explaining that bright blue dye does not come out of a white formica countertop easily. "Pretend you're the Duggars just for tonight," I said with a hopeful smile, and five minutes later I was applying baking soda and elbow grease to a decidedly turquoise countertop.

*pre-spilled-dye-nightmare



Poor Lily didn't understand that we were trying to keep the egg in the glass and kept trying to fish it out...





I gave her the copper dipper, and she successfully sloshed it around in kool-aid colored dye before flinging red droplets across the freshly scrubbed countertop....


...so we switched gears and had her color an Easter picture instead....




I really do love this tradition, despite the messiness of it all. I know it's the kid in me, but I love the smell of vinegar and hard-boiled eggs, the trial-and-error of little ones creating that "perfect striped egg" only to decide that gray-green is actually a marvelous shade for an Easter egg, the cuteness of stained fingers sticking out of suit coat sleeves on Easter morning...I love it all.





And although I did have to throw myself at the mercy of hundreds of other last-minute-shoppers Saturday morning, I was able to successfully fill 4 dozen plastic eggs and assemble 12 Easter baskets before dinner Saturday evening, which is no small feat. Mainly because I have this weird mommy-phobia that one of the baskets is going to end up with 16 jellybeans and 4 peeps, and someone else's is going to have 17 jellybeans and 5 peeps, and that just wouldn't be fair. And if you have more than one child, you know what I'm talking about- someone is bound to count plastic eggs on Easter morning and declare that the Easter bunny ripped him off. Rest assured all Easter baskets at the Rice Ranch are created equal...


*reading Peter Cottontail's note. "Yes, Jackson and Noah and Abbi- there is an Easter Bunny."


Peter Cottontail informed the children that he hid "Forty-four plastic eggs, twenty-six dyed eggs, and one-hundred-and-ninety-nine foil-wrapped chocolate eggs" for them to find. Which translated means that he and Mrs. Cottontail had to get up at 4:45 a.m. to facilitate this mother-of-all-Easter-egg-hunts and that one of them (apparently) had a chocolate egg for breakfast. Ahem.





cutest Easter Lily ever



I promise you Mr. Cottontail hid the hard-boiled egg in the dirty shoe bucket...Mrs. Cottontail has better taste than that.





After the morning festivities, we ate a hearty breakfast of boiled eggs (doesn't that sound yummy after that ^^^^ photo ??) and Captain Crunch. My afternoon Easter Feast makes up for the lack of a better Easter breakfast tradition. Plus, Mrs. Cottontail can only juggle so many tasks, and rising at 4:45 a.m. to hide hundreds of eggs takes priority over Pioneer Woman's Hot Cross Buns. 

Besides, I bet Pioneer Woman doesn't painstakingly divide 5 dozen peeps and 200 jellybeans between a dozen Easter baskets evenly. She probably throws everything in baskets the night before and calls it good. At least that's what I tell myself on Easter morning as we're slurping down our crunchy golden nuggets of seven essential vitamins and minerals.

the little boys: Noah and Jackson



My little Easter Lily

my three girls...Lily, Abigail and Mackenzie

the middle boys: Tyler, Jonathan and Caleb

the gang...well, eight of them

Sunday morning church..my beautiful daughter-in-loves, Naomi and Monique, and my lovely daughter Mackenzie




After church Jason, Naomi, Baby K, Josiah and Monique all came over for our traditional Easter lunch: honey-glazed ham, potatoes and corn, baked beans and salad, rolls, and Mountain Dew. Yeah, we're classy like that.



All in all it was a lovely Easter, and more than anything else I am grateful for a Risen Savior who is what our Resurrection Day is all about. We love our family traditions, and we enjoy all the little extras that make this holiday special, but most of all we are so thankful for God sending His Son to die for us. It's a glorious thing to put your life in the hands of the One who paid the price for your sins, knowing that He is Risen...


He is Risen, indeed !!

18 comments:

Lena said...

Looks fantastic! Looks fun! And you're great at math.

Mr. & Mrs Cottontail - ha! : )

nicole said...

What great memories you make for your family ~ thanks for sharing.

Mrs. K said...

OH WHAT A FUN TIME. I think you get that "make it even" from your mother. I still do it. Is Jason reading his iPad or iPhone while at the table? LOVED ALL THE PICTURES!!!

Rochelle said...

Sounds like a great celebration of our Savior, besides the rising at 4:45! Are you kidding me lady? LOL

My Little Wonders said...

I was already impressed before you added in the getting up at 4:45am!!! Way to go! And, yes, you have the cutest Easter Lily in all the land! :)

lovemy3 said...

Loved all the pics! I don't know how you managed 4:45 am! That is definitely the prettiest Easter Lily ever!

katekopp said...

Oh thanks for sharing! Such a beautiful family!!! I can't imagine dressing them all up!! Easter is my absolute favorite - really, that is what it is all about! He is risen indeed!! Love to all!!!

5boysand1girlmake6.com said...

Such a sweet family you have. you are so blessed!!!! and that sweet Lily! She is so sweet!! oxoxo

Jenny said...

I always tell you this, but you can never hear it to often...You have such a beautiful family, and you can feel the love in your home when looking at these pictures :)

Kiara Buechler said...

What a woderday you all had! Loved all the photos of Lily and the rest of the gang, so cute!

Amy said...

Such beautiful pictures!! Thanks for the post. (I have NOT gotten around to an Easter post yet ... so you are WAY ahead of me.) At our house, a couple yards of heavy-duty vinyl from the fabric store covers our kitchen table, and keeps the "don't drip the dye" mommy-monster at bay during the egg coloring! :-)

cara said...

Your holiday posts always crack me up because we do them almost the exact same way!!! I was rushing around Saturday afternoon trying to get everything for Easter morning. Although I was shocked that there was so much available where I was. Not sure why?? But I was thankful.

Your family is SO beautiful Patti! And I am enjoying these latest pictures of Lily SO much!!! She just cannot get any more precious. That little grin she has just grabs my heart. xoxo

Mandy said...

Thanks for sharing. I love how you are able to show the world that life is good in a large family. All of your kids looked beautiful for Resurrection Day! He is Risen, indeed! Love you, friend :)

Crystal said...

Man, I got tired just reading your post! How do you do it???

Lori said...

Ok, Lily and Elli are not allowed to grow until we can get them together in their matching Easter dresses for a pic...Sooo sweet!!

Lori said...

Ok, Lily and Elli are not allowed to grow until we can get them together in their matching Easter dresses for a pic...Sooo sweet!!

Women's Safari 4-pocket Belted 2-piece Pant Suit said...

That is so cute dress! Sunny and sweet dress!

Rochelle said...

Love ALL the pictures!!!