Tuesday, April 3, 2012

catching up

Dearest Lily,

It's been a little while since I wrote you a letter. Mama has been very busy lately... real life has gotten in the way of my journaling to you, but thankfully that's not such a bad thing. As I type this you are twirling around with your sister on the carpet behind me to a flute sonata; I'm hooked on Handel radio on Pandora, much to your older siblings' dismay. You don't seem to mind though- Abigail is teaching you how to dance, and you make such a pretty pair in the sunlight streaming through our big picture windows. It's easy to be thankful during this season of my life when I have that little scene playing just over my shoulder. Today truly is a new day.




And speaking of new ~ you have at least a hundred new tricks up your sleeve these days. It seems every time I turn around you're showing me something you can do that you didn't do the day before.

Take for instance your babies. You've always loved your baby dolls, and for months now you've carried them around the house, patting their backs or flinging them over your shoulder like a seasoned mother. But lately you've been particularly tuned into their personal well being, placing headbands on them, wrapping them in blankets, dressing and undressing them...you love to try to put your own socks on their feet or drape your shirts around their necks. You're constantly combing their hair or tenderly feeding them from a baby bottle or "shushing" them to sleep. You kiss them and hug them and tuck them under your chin as you sway them back and forth. You are the sweetest little mama.





You've gotten very vocal about your needs. You yell "moh moh" and sign more when you run out of cheerios on your tray, you bang on the refrigerator door and yell "muh-muh-muh" when you want more milk, and this morning as soon as I was finished changing your diaper you determinedly cried out "ALL DONE !!"

You're a girl who knows what she wants:)




You've learned how to ham it up for a photo. All I have to do is point the camera....


... say, "Lily, smile!"


....and voila. A picture-perfect crinkly eyed grin.



You give kisses by the dozen on command. You sign please and thank you perfectly when we give you a snack or your sippy cup. You have become extremely affectionate with friends and strangers alike.... which sounds sweet, but is not always appropriate. The cashier at Old Navy looked a bit surprised when you frantically signed "please" and stretched your tiny arms out to be held. Whoever said there was an extra dose of affection in that extra chromosome definitely knew what they were talking about.



I was thinking a lot today about your first two years, dearest Lily. I loved how prolonged the baby stage was with you. I had read so much about this happening with babies with Down syndrome, and for me it was the icing on the special needs cake...I always felt like that first year flew by too fast with my other babies, but with you I was able to savor every moment and treasure every stage.

But now toddlerhood seems to have shifted things a bit... I find myself willing the days to slow down, and trying to soak up each new accomplishment and appreciate each milestone before the next one is reached. I remember being so sad when you were an infant, thinking you'd never learn to read. And now, even before words have come, you are devouring books daily, and proudly demonstrating your "reading" abilities...




And something tells me we've only just begun to see all that you'll accomplish. If these past few months of incredible development and change are any indication.....


..the best is yet to come !!


***************************


*Winners for the Saving Albina giveaway will be announced tonight !

13 comments:

nicole said...

Love Sam's look of admiration of his Lily. A little girl with her baby dolls is the best!

Lori said...

So sweet...Elli needs a playdate!!

Mrs. K said...

Wonderful! We are back to visiting with Lils and family. Not that I mind the blogs about the orphans or the visiters bloggs BUT I do miss your letters to Lily Anne 'cause they have more pictures of my sweet angel and her siblings. Believe me, Lils is just like her Mama at that age with her baby dolls.

SolaceMama said...

I am loving how long her hair is getting. I also love how you make the (Puppy dog tails??)! It makes he fine thin sheer tresses look like more. And I know how hard it is to do with that kind of hair. I grew up with it.

The video is priceless!!:)

Been thinking about *you*. Hope you are healing, physically and more. Be gentle with yourself.

lovemy3 said...

Hope you and everyone else is taking care of you. Love the pics of Lily...she's so sweet with her baby doll...as I sit watching Hailey with a Buzz Lightyear figurine and a Nerf gun :-)

Renee said...

Love this letter! There are more and more pictures where Lily looks like you. Babies reading is one of my favorite things! :)

Crystal said...

I just can't get enough of those little moccasin boots!

cathy said...

much, much love & many prayers to you, my dear friend.

xoxo
cathy

Jenny said...

Love the video, how sweet! She is a book lover you can just tell...Russell gets angry if he sees me sit down with MY book, he will run over and grab one of his so I can read to him! Just think, if they got married one day they could spend many quiet evenings reading together :)

Twilson9608 said...

V loves books too. It is a good passion to have!

cara said...

Oh, how I MISSED Lily!!!!! Cannot wait to show the kids that video of her reading. They will love it. She is quite an amazing reader. That would melt me if Lily put her arms out to be held. And I adore her smile for the camera. Can't get any cuter than that!!!!

Denise Malafaia Cerqueira said...

His blog is beautiful, my sister!
Your family is wonderful!
Your daughter is very, very, beautiful!
The history of your family, of your daughter is a lesson of life for all us.
God Bless you!

k_laurelle said...

I don't know all of your sweet babies special needs, but if she is only downs then she can learn to read. My sweet wonderful great uncle learned to read and write with downs syndrome. He was born in a time when doctors said he should be institutionalized at birth, but my grandmother refused. She raised him just like her other children, saving more patience, and he learned to read and write, dress himself, clean himself(he needed some help bathing), brush his own teeth well and he went to 'work' every day. Most importantly he was a light in all of our lives. He was also very long lived, outliving his own mother in fact who lived to 97. He was in his late 60's when he passed and the world was wanting for it. Seeing pictures of your sweet beautiful baby reminds me of him and the gift he was in my life! The lessons he taught of love and kindness. I will never look back on a time in my life with more satisfaction than the 6 months I spent (at 18) as his caregiver when my own grandmother (his sister) was ill.... Sorry that was all very personal, I stumbled on your blog at the 25 most inspiring families contest and really just wanted to tell you how lovely your lilly is.