Wednesday, February 22, 2012

the blues

This afternoon I was doing one of least favorite things in life: cleaning my bathroom. If any of you share my bathroom-cleaning-phobia, you will know what I mean when I say I would almost rather be at the dentist than cleaning my toilet and shower. Well...almost.

I've tried different tactics for dealing with my phobia, none of which has worked long term: listening to Norah Jones while I scrub, talking on the phone to one of my friends, eating chocolate while I clean...each one of these methods has its perks and each one its drawbacks.

I practically ruined my love for Norah Jones, because I now associate her with that ugly ring inside my toilet (the one I am still looking for a cure for...input please??) Talking on the phone does provide momentary distraction, but I haven't yet mastered the art of scrubbing said toilet ring and balancing my beloved flip phone between my ear and shoulder effectively... which has proved disastrous once or twice. (sprint: looks like your phone has suffered a bit of water damage, Mrs. Rice. me: what? impossible, I am soooo very careful with my phone!) Even my fool proof recipe for endorphin boosters - a hefty piece of a Dove bar wedged between my teeth while I apply elbow grease and equally hefty doses of Tilex to my shower floor - loses its power after several minutes of deep cleaning. Because when it comes down to it, there's just no getting around it: I hate cleaning my bathroom.

However, today I discovered a little pixie dust that cures the bathroom-cleaning blues in a heartbeat.

Enter Miss Lily....


Just as I was about to attack my toilet with a brillo pad (I am willing to try anything at this point) - in walked my little pixie. Actually she was banging incessantly on the door, yelling MAMA at the top of her lungs, and when I let her in she made a beeline for the bathtub, laughing all the way. She stood on tippie toes, peered down at her musical dolphins, and started signing furiously "bath" and then "please" with the biggest grin on her face....



I mean, seriously- would you be able to resist this face???

(thank you Cara and Abigail for the darling skirt!)

I threw the cleaning supplies into the sink, declared a truce with the toilet, and told Lily it was bath time. I plugged the tub, turned the water on, and had just started drizzling Johnson's baby bath in, and Lily was already frantically trying to get her skirt off. This girlie looooves her bathy !


One minute later....



I have found the cure for the bathroom cleaning blues...insert one adorable Lilybird into a tubfull of suds and grab a camera. Call in a sibling or two to watch the little mermaid while finishing scrubbing the shower, stopping every minute or so to snap a photo (removing latex gloves before doing so)...



...continue this process until both the bathroom and baby are sparkling clean....




And there you have it. Better than Norah Jones, flip-phones and Dove chocolate. The cure for the bathroom cleaning blues.



p.s. now can someone please come finish my toilet?

***********

p.s. winners for the Covered For Charlotte giveaway are posted HERE.

25 comments:

Becky said...

I dread bathroom cleaning too. I love a clean bathroom once I am done but I have to motivate myself to do it too. But, now Kristen likes to actually help so I put her to work now! Your pictures are too cute....

Wendy said...

Can I borrow Lily, then? I think she would surely be the cure for my bathroom blues! I have the same ring and I don't know what to do. Saving up for a new toilet :) Love this post!

cathy said...

Seriously, theses pictures are amazing---
She is BEAUTIFUL, God bless her!

xoxo
cathy

i scrub my toilet with tilex & the misterclean whitepads

Deanna said...

oh Patti, Patti, Patti. We have finally discovered that you HAVE A FLAW. Unfortunately for me, while I would prefer to sit back and smugly judge, I have the same exact flaw, probably magnified by 100- and it's one of my MANY flaws while it appears to be your only one. Eh, oh well. Thanks for brightening my morning with this post. (-:

nicole said...

Little cutie!

Michelle Z said...

Ohhh bathrooms & dentists. I'm with you!

I bought some new toilet cleaner (totally toxic with chemicals) the other day, because I couldn't take it anymore.

Lily is ADORABLE and growing up so fast! When can I come meet her? :) Hopefully before she's a sassy teenager!

Anna Theurer said...

I have no solution for the stubborn toilet ring. If you find the solution, please share! Miss Lilybird is amazingly cute and I can tell just how much she loves her bath.

Mrs. K said...

Same ring around our guest toilet. Solution: close the door and don't let any guest use that one. Don't know why we can't seem to get it out. But scratching it with brillo won't work. I even tried Clorox over night, the stain color came out but the ring was still there. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!
Now for little Miss Lily, I would like to take that little scrumptious cutie and give her a humungus hug for giving me a big case of the smiles. What a smartie signing bath and please.

Crystal said...

In Idaho, we had really weird water that left a ring around everything. I found a solid white block (I don't know what was in it, it was like a solid powdery substance) at Bed, Bath and Beyond that you used to scrub the ring -- and voila, it came right off!

Sue g said...

My favorite toilet cleaning tip- buy a bottle of "the Works" and dump the whole stinkin thing in, let sit for several hours or overnight. If the toilet isn't in horrible condition I will just use half a bottle. Then clean with a brush. Actually gets everything off- unlike bleach, comet, or anything else I have ever used. Gets those rings off the toilet : )

Anonymous said...

The Works, WORKS!

Jenny said...

Oh my gosh, I love the picture of her standing there looking up at you signing please!!! Adorable :)

Stori said...

That is so precious!

Jonana said...

All of those pictures are so cute but Lily standing there in that skirt about killed me. So cute! About the bathroom...I've outsourced that. M cleans the upstairs one, G cleans the downstairs 1/2 one and then that just leaves me the master one that doesn't get as skanky as the other ones. Outsource girl, outsource! They've got to learn how to clean one eventually--they might as well learn on the ones that they dirty up!

lovemy3 said...

I've been told a pumice stone works but I haven't tried it.

There is no way I could resist that smile and signing "please"!

mrmeadowlark said...

3 Letters for you Patti.... C. L. R..... 'ol Garr here swears by it. Removes Calcium, Lime and Rust.

angie said...

Love your spontanaity (yeah, I don't know how to spell that word)... I'd much rather watch a little sweetie like Lily play in the bathtub than scrub a toilet any day of the week. LOL About that toilet ring- we have hard water here, and a pumice stone works, but I have my husband do it because it takes some elbow grease. Plus, it's a nice way to make sure he realizes how needed he is around here. ;)

Wren said...

Little cutie earned that bath for sure!!! Smart girl - knows what she wants and how to get it!!!

Katherine said...

Ohh my goodness, she is precious!! So adorable!
I have to admit though, when you said Dove bar I immediately thought Dove bar of SOAP and I was veryy confused!! It's been a long day, what can I say??

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet blog post! Can I suggest a product line I love for cleaning? (I swear I am not selling it, it's just one of those things when I found it was like - oh man why did I not try this sooner) Mrs. Meyers Cleaning Day. http://www.mrsmeyers.com/ You can get it at Bed Bath & Beyond and it's magically also aromatherapy - smells so good while you are cleaning. lavender, lemon verbena, basil, or rosemary are my favorites - one scent for the kitchen and one for the bathroom. Good luck and stay golden!!

Shauna said...

What?! Bathrooms are supposed to be cleaned?! Oh no! I may have to follow your example and plop Reagan in the tub for motivation. Ditto on the pumice...that is the white block that Crystal was talking about and it works like a charm.

cara said...

Oh Patti- Lily is SO smart signing like that saying Mama and knowing exactly what she wants. Benji loves the bath too. What a great solution to cleaning.

Abigail was SO excited to see Lily in the skirt!! Thank you for posting pictures. I know, I know, I say this ALL the time, but these pictures just cannot get any cuter, and then you post some more. Her face just melts us all. We all prayed for her and you all tonight as a family. We will continue. Cannot wait to hear how she is doing after those tubes are in her ears.

You are going to think I am strange possibly. But when I have little ones like three or four years old ,(you cannot do this with older ones- it is too late I think) I have them watch me clean the bathrooms and toilets and make it seem like SO much fun. Then, I tell them that they can do this soon. And I tell them that Daddy will take them to buy their very own toilet cleaning brush. I let them know they can pick out any color they want and any one they want. They get SO excited about this. And I create a happy bathroom cleaner for years to come. Abigail LOVES to clean bathrooms. And she gets all the details. It is hilarious. She truly seems to like it. Now, Mary is getting ready to go with Daddy soon and buy her own toilet cleaning brush. She cannot wait. Yes, I still clean them too, but it is SO nice to have helpers that actually like to do it!!

Emily said...

If Miss Lily is for some reason absent, try the chocolate trick with a bit of Russian chocolate if you can find any. It is the best. chocolate. ever. One piece is satisfying enough, believe me.

Alisha said...

Your daughter is SO adorable!

-Much love, Alisha from:

www.newmerciesdaily.blogspot.com

Carla said...

Have to comment here...we have hard water, and had that hard water something stain ring around the top of the water level in the toilet issue. 3 years in the house...toilet ring that won't go away.

Enter Pinterest...and I'm willing to try anything, except toxic chemicals because my 4 year old STILL plays in the toilet and cat #2 does indeed drink out of any open toilet lid. ;)

Dawn dishdetergent mixed with vinegar - um, guess you need the actual link. ;) It was for hard water soap scum in the shower, but I thought, what the heck...it can't possibly hurt to try. I sprayed...and sprayed a bunch, then walked away for about 30 minutes (truthfully I got distracted cleaning up lunch dishes and chasing a child back to school work), then came back in with the toilet brush...and scrubbed lightly. Voila! It came off.

I seriously have white toilet bowls...again.

http://www.food.com/recipe/tub-and-shower-magic-434275

Maybe it will work for you as well. ;)