Thursday, October 6, 2011

frightening facts about Down syndrome

Warning: I realize this post will come as a shock to many of you.
For the most part I try to stay positive on Lily's blog about things related to Down syndrome.
But the FACT is, there ARE some things every parent should know when receiving a diagnosis of Down syndrome.
I just wish my doctors would have warned me about these things ahead of time....







FACT: Babies with Down syndrome are so stinking cute you just might pass out from cuteness overload.





FACT: Babies with Down syndrome are so irresistible that you might never be able to take your eyes off them.




FACT: The third copy of the 21st chromosome results in uncommon musical capabilities.




FACT: Down syndrome produces an overabundance of the "adorable" gene.


  

FACT: Children with Down syndrome routinely charm their parents' socks off simply by performing ordinary tasks, such as feeding themselves.

FACT: Children with Down syndrome have a higher incidence of sweetness, affection, and charisma.


FACT: Babies with Down syndrome suffer from extreme loveable-ness.


FACT:  It is highly likely that your heart will melt hourly when caring for a baby with Down syndrome.


FACT: Children with Down syndrome tend to crawl up inside your heart and refuse to come out.



FACT: Once you have a child with Down syndrome you will find yourself addicted to almond eyed smiles, crooked pinkies, and sandal gap toes. There is no known cure.



And the final FACT: Down syndrome produces irreversible enlargement of the heart- once you experience life with an extra chromosome, you will have more compassion, love, and appreciation for life than you know what to do with.

But here's one solution: you can share some of that overabundance right HERE by donating five dollars to little Artem...


Artem is an orphan with Down syndrome in Eastern Europe. He is five years old, and in desperate need of a family to adopt him. Our goal for the month of October is to raise Artem's grant to $10,000, so money won't be the thing keeping a family from committing to him. If every person who reads these words donates five dollars- JUST FIVE DOLLARS- that grant will be well over $10,000. Will you help us save Artem? You can do so right here, on the paypal button on the sidebar, which links directly to Artem's grant on Reece's Rainbow.

Thank you in advance- and please spread the word about Artem!!

31 comments:

Sarai said...

Love this post and love the pictures of Lily!!!

Laura said...

I heartily agree with this post! Ben thinks Lily is cute. He keeps trying to touch the computer screen:)

Crazy Beautiful Love said...

Too stikin' cute. Totally agree about the music. Eslea is doing some amazing things with a toy piano at only One.
If everyone in this world just knew what a blessing that extra chromosome is to their lives, there would not be a need for adoption! (That's where prayers come in).
-erin

Deanna said...

Addison looks that same way EVERY time we feed her. lol. She gets lots of baths. ha. Love this post. SO TRUE!

cathy said...

BEAUTIFUL

xoxo
cathy

Rochelle said...

Best post ever! LOVE IT

Chromosomally Enhanced said...

WOWSA!! love this! and so so TRUE!! charisma, charm, cuteness overload! smiles

Lori said...

Soo Cute!!

nancy said...

I am supprised you can stop snuggling long enough to take pictures! She is so cute!! What a sweet blessing.

lovemy3 said...

Love it!!! I do find myself obsessed with babies with Down syndrome now. They are so incredibly cute! I want to scoop them up and take them home.

Jenny said...

Haha, LOVE IT! So perfect!!

Mrs. K said...

What in the world is my punkin eating? Pumpkin soup? Lils, you look so proud of you feeding skills. Papa and I are so proud of you, you make EVERYONE happy. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
Give some of those to Jack and Noah please.

Mackenzie Rice said...

hahahahaha funny post mom :) love the last pic of lils. my fav!! now send me a flippin daily lils pic!
love kenz

Shauna said...

It really is scary stuff. I always say that Reagan is so cute that its not fair, the rest of the world doesn't even stand a chance of resisting her. So you've discovered the secret of the musical talent huh? I have a similar video of Reagan!

Leah said...

I don't know how we live with the fear!!! It's so true.

cara said...

Oh, Lily just is TOO CUTE for words. I know I always say that. You are SO right, kids with down syndrome are just EXTRA cute!!

I am spreading the word about Artem!!

L.A.C.E. said...

ahhh I love love love looking at your photos of Lily!!! I have been coming back every day to check on Artem's tally and so excited to see it growing so steadily! If this weeks up Artem will have 10,000 + in his fund towards adoption!! I'm praying for him :D

Jill said...

I love it, I love it!! The first picture makes me want to scream she is so adorable!!!

ch said...

You really should specifically warn about the power of their bottom lip. Especially sweet L's. LOVE it.

Erin B said...

Miss Lily is a girl after my own heart, get into the food, truly enjoy the food, be free with your food! What a couple of cutie's...Lily and Artem. Praying that Artem's family is right around the corner!!

lovemy3 said...

Too cute!!! I linked to your blog today about Artem. $8270....wow!!!

Shannon said...

AHHH!!! So true! I am linking this post in mine tomorrow for all to see. Couldn't have possibly said it any better!

Jane@flightplatformliving said...

love love love love love it! and can i just say again i love it!xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Allison said...

Oh! I love all your pictures from your trip! She is such a doll! Every time I get to be with her in nursery, she makes me feel so special when she makes sure to smile at me and steal my heart :) I love her!

My Little Wonders said...

Oh my ... such adorable pictures of Lily! And, we loved the piano playing (I think I loved the "play with one hand and suck the thumb of the other" the best :) ).

Rochelle said...

I love it! Couldn't have said it any better...thank you! That adorableness helps offset the "stubborness" when they get older! ;-) Like all of our kids, it's a good thing God made them so cute! That love gets you through some difficult times! :)

Anna Theurer said...

What a lovely post. I was all prepared for the negative medical stuff but you got me! Love it! Also, love messy Lily pics!

Just Trying Not to Blink .... said...

This post is too cute for words! I didn't realize just how dangerous Lily is ;)

Team Lando said...

I feel like you'll appreciate this. I went to the bookstore yesterday to use a gift certificate I had for Ellie. I wanted to get her some fun ABC books, because I noticed she mostly has number books. (Her mom may have focused on teaching math for a few years.) I got HALFWAY THROUGH the ABCs in one book before I realized it was all kids with Down syndrome! So I bought it.

Susanna said...

LOL! This is SO TRUE!!!

Melissa said...

I really need to hand Claire a spoon more, but those massive messes just overwhelm me sometimes.