Monday, October 10, 2011

FIRST STEPS !

I'm sitting at the computer listening to Christmas music (yes, we do that early here at the Rice Ranch!) with a very feverish Lilybird on my lap. She started running a low grade fever Saturday morning, and last night it shot up to over 102.  She spent the night tossing and turning in my bed, crying and obviously miserable, and all day I've kept her pumped up with ibuprophen and lots of fluids. Not sure what is going on, and a trip to our family doctor is probably inevitable if she isn't better by the morning. It's Sunday night as I prepare this post...it's not often we miss church, but Lily won't let me put her down, and I have not mastered the art of playing piano for song service while holding a sick infant. So home we stayed.

This post will be short and sweet because Lily is crying again...however, I do not think it is possible to get any SWEETER than this video.

Saturday morning (before she started to become inconsolable) Lily was doing her typical push-herself-up-to-a-standing-position routine for her brothers and sisters, which is always followed by clapping and praise and big smiles, all of which Lily participates in herself. She's her own biggest fan. :)

All of the sudden, and thankfully with a fully charged camera nearby, Lily took her first step.

And I have to say that even though I always envisioned that moment as one of tears, (because when a child with special needs nails a milestone like that, you can pretty much guarantee a flood of proud and happy tears), there were none. Just wild, ecstatic cheering and clapping and "YAAAAAAAY LILY'S!" from a roomful of brothers and sisters followed by "get the camera!" Cuz Lily's siblings know that this is a moment her friends in bloggy land are going to want to celebrate as well.

So here you go. Let the celebration begin!

(and try not to laugh at the piece of plastic that gets stuck to her diaper just before she takes that glorious step forward...there's no telling what you'll find on our family room floor on a Saturday morning!)






And speaking of celebrating- have you noticed that lovely chunk of a grant that's been rising steadily for our little buddy???


Thank you SO MUCH to all of you wonderful people who have been praying and blogging and giving for little Artem. I think he's going to hit $10,000 BEFORE October 31st, what do you say??

If you've missed it, we are asking readers to donate five dollars to Artem's grant fund on Reece's Rainbow. That's it. Five dollars. Our goal is to raise that grant fund to ten thousand dollars by the end of the month, in hopes of attracting a family for him. Will you spread the word?


ARTEM NEEDS A FAMILY!!



And if you could, please pray for Lily to feel better soon. I don't have any more pictures to post this week unless she gets better, and I promise you don't want to see her pathetically tear-stained face on tomorrow's post- it's pitiful! :(

Thank you, friends!

33 comments:

nicole said...

Way to go, Lily! What a great big sister you have.

gretchen said...

STEPS!!!! i am sitting here, Monday morning of a holiday (i don't have to go to the office today, YAY!!!) and happened upon this post. OMG YESSSS. I love how lily's face lights up and how she concentrates. That little body is the cutest ever. Guess what? I don't think Julian's first steps are too far away....a few more months I think!! (he is 16 months old, and has been walking on his push toy since 15 months, and has been pulling up on furniture and cruising since about 14 or 13 months)!!! AH!!! I can not WAIT for the moment when I can share this first steps video with the world too!

Mandy said...

Lily's first steps! Watch out world, she's on her way! Yay, Lily!

Mandy said...

Lily's first steps! Watch out world, she's on her way! Yay, Lily!

Rochelle said...

Way to go Lily! I see big sister as a PT in her future! =) Hope you are feeling better asap!

Team Lando said...

Aw, Lily, that was great news to wake up to! Congrats. And look out, mama!

Leslie said...

Way to go, Lily! What a blessed little girl she is. So many teachers and cheerleaders!!

Heidi Ehle said...

YAYYYY LILLLLYYYYY!!! :)

Wren said...

Hurray!!!! Way to go Lily!!!!

Michelle Z said...

HOORAY for Lil!! What a big girl! (and such fun motivation ;)

Shauna said...

Yay Lily!! I think Reagan may be going to crawl any minute now :) Feel better soon sweet girl! Praying for a fast recovery.

Jenny said...

Yaay Lily!!! This just made my morning :)

Mrs. K said...

Lilybird, you made Grammi tear up again and Papa was grining from ear to ear. Keep practicing my pretty Princess. Speaking of pretty, who was that BEAUTIFUL girl encouraging you to walk? Was it Kenzie? WOW.

Mrs. K said...

Hope you are feeling much better 'cause Grammi is storming heaven for you.

Deanna said...

SO EXCITING! Loved this video so much! YAY YAY YAY!

KateY Johnston said...

Yaaaayyyy Lily!!!! That's thrilling and must make momma proud :) By the way can Lily say "yay" ? ;)

cathy said...

God Blessed Her!!!

The whole family has been praying fro her to feel better

xoxo
cathy

lovemy3 said...

Yay, Lily!!! You made me cry...I'm so happy for you!

Elisabeth said...

Way to go Lily! What a big girl you are!

Leah said...

Way to go lily! hope she feels better soon!

Lori said...

Elli is yelling "oh baby" and smiling and clapping...she is so happy to see lily take a step - we have watched the video 3x and she is still wanting to see it again!! Yeah Lily!!

Heather said...

Lily made me cry today too...it just reminded me of the pure love that exists. I was having an awful day thinking about all the things wrong in the world, but that little Lilybird video cheered me right up.

Thank you, Patti. :)

My Little Wonders said...

Oh, how adorable! (I love the motivation too. :) ) And I hope Lily is feel better soon.

Melissa said...

Yay Lily! For the last two weeks Jesenia is at 75% walking and 25% crawling. And she'll pick up the heaviest things and try to tote them around.

Kelli said...

so exciting! hope your lil girl feels better soon!!

cara said...

Oh, how WONDERFUL Lily!!!!! How exciting. What a blessing.

You know we will ALL be praying for Lily to get better fast.

Jennifer said...

Way to go Lily!!! Made me cry! I love reading all the posts you write even though I don't comment all of the time. Prayers for Lily to get better soon!

Jennifer from CA

Kristin said...

Woohoo!!

Melissa said...

Way to go Lily!! Claire just took her first steps yesterday too. :)

JL said...

How exciting! I can see Lily is proud of herself too. Hope Lily gets better soon.

Runningmama said...

Somehow I missed this the other day! Yay for Lily, so proud of her!

Becca said...

Oh, Patti, this video is FAAAAABULOUS!!!! That beaming smile of hers is contagious. LOVE the steps! Go, Lily!!!!!

LisaL said...

That was AWESOME!! She is so darn adorable!!