Thursday, October 13, 2011

above all

If you haven't had a chance to see new pictures of this little cutie,  please read this post...



 .... and please don't forget about our five dollar challenge to help save Artem! His grant fund on Reece's Rainbow is just under $9,000- who will help us get him there by the end of the day? If just 23 readers gave $5 each, he would meet that goal. Will you spread the word?

Artem needs a family!!!


******************************


Dearest Lily,

It's after midnight and I just got home a little while ago from a refreshing night out with the girls from our church . You have therapy in the morning, and I am ready to call it a day...so I'm stealing a letter from last year to re-post here. I love looking back and seeing how far God had brought us even back then...and realizing where He was leading us as well. I hadn't even begun to advocate for children on Reece's Rainbow at the time this letter was written. At the time it was all I could do to read blogs about children being rescued- it hurt my heart so much to visit the pictures of children who were still waiting to be adopted, that many times I just avoided looking all together. But I'm so glad God pried the fingers off of my eyes and showed me that there was more I could do than just look and pray. I'm so glad He gave me the will and the strength to act.


*******************
Dearest Lily,

Sometimes it hits me that I have ten children.

What I mean is, most of the time we're just living in the moment, so to speak, and I don't really think about the big picture.

What's really funny is when we're out and about, and I see a family with five or six kids, and I think -that is a LOT of kids! It looks overwhelming from the outside.

So too, with your diagnosis. It's like we're just living day to day, enjoying life with you and taking things one sweet moment at a time....and I don't really think about having a baby with Down syndrome. Things are so normal, and you are such a typical baby, that it just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

I wonder (now) what people are so afraid of when they hear the words "Down syndrome"...possibly during prenatal testing, or an ultrasound, or maybe just talking about having a baby later in life.

Because I used to be one of those people. But now I find myself drawn to websites promoting adoption of babies with Down syndrome overseas, who are abandoned in orphanages. I can't understand how moms can discard these babies.. like tossing aside diamonds in search of pearls...

Maybe it's like raising a large family...from the outside it looks daunting, difficult, maybe even overwhelming. But from this side of things it's just....life. It's just normal. Maybe some days are a little more crazy than others. But we didn't just wake up with ten kids one morning. We grew into this, and as the dynamics of our family changed, so did we.

And it's not so different than life with two kids or three..there are always ups and downs and tears and laughter and unexpected events and predictable ones too, familiar routines and surprise situations, and maybe it's multiplied a little bit more, but it's all good.

So maybe there will be more challenges as you grow...but there are challenges raising any child, and there are no guarantees that any of us are going to sail through this parenting thing unscathed by life's curve balls.

Something funny happened recently that made me realize I've come to a different place..maybe a new "me". A friend of a friend had a few markers show up on an ultrasound for her baby. Possible markers for Down syndrome. And as I heard the news, I didn't feel sympathy..I felt ...nothing. Isn't that strange, Lily? I felt like...what would be so bad about that? I wanted to call that young Mama and say- there's nothing to worry about. As someone on the inside, please believe me- it's all good.


Photobucket 

What a journey we've been on together, baby of mine. What a long way I've come in a few short months of knowing you.

Loving life on this side of things,

Mama oxox 



**********************

And the journey just keeps getting better, doesn't it? Because since that letter was written, we've had the privilege of playing a part in helping four of those orphans find their forever families. If you would have shown me a year ago what God could do through your life, sweet Lily...I might have thought it was too good to be true.


Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. Ephesians 3:20,21



Loving you always,

Mama oxox

3 comments:

cathy said...

He does work miracles ;)

How is Lily feeling?

xoxo
cathy

Mrs. K said...

How is my Lily Anne? I pray she is much better. And I pray none of her siblings catch what Lily had this past week. Hugs and prayers are coming your way, Grammi K

Katy said...

Patti,
I haven't been around in a while, but I have been thinking about Lily and you, so I just had to stop by. She is, of course, more beautiful than ever. :-) Sorry she's been under the weather, and hope she perks back up soon! Thanks for continuing to be a willing and unbelievably awesome servant of Christ. :-)