Monday, September 5, 2011

seasons

Dearest Lily,

It's a sunny Sunday afternoon as I write this letter to you, the last day of our summer...tomorrow we start our school year, and we have shelves full of new homeschooling curriculum to prove it. As much as I'm anticipating the shift in seasons and the excitement that teaching and learning brings, I'm a little sad to bid farewell to our carefree summer days. Bed times and structure and schedules are all wonderful elements of our school year agenda, but the kid in me is rebelling a little at the thought of not being able to sleep in or stay up late. I probably say this every year, but I wish we had just a few more weeks left of summer. I'm not quite ready to say goodbye.

Photobucket

We managed to squeeze in one last camping trip last week, in our desire to savor every last drop of summer goodness. We stayed at a nearby KOA, half of us packed into a cabin at night, the other half sleeping cozily in our trusty pop-up camper. I brought a pack-and-play for your naptimes, and of course our sound machine- like your mommy, you can't sleep without it.

Photobucket

Like all of your siblings, you love camping...probably because you love being outside so much. You love crawling in the grass, crunching a leaf between your chubby little fingers, investigating your surroundings~ you are a true Rice, in that you're most at home when you're outdoors.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The weather was absolutely perfect for our trip- warm enough for t-shirts and shorts during the days and cool enough for hooded sweatshirts at night. Your brothers and sisters spent the whole time going back and forth between the pool, the basketball court and the playground, while you and I lounged on the deck of our little cabin or on a blanket in the grass.

Photobucket

Photobucket


You spent most of the time practicing standing every chance you got...you're getting more and more confident and standing alone for quite awhile now.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Of course we had to bring your favorite toys- no camping trip is complete without the Little People Fisher Price Playhouse set. Just as we were getting ready to leave for camping, your brother Noah yelled, "Don't forget Lily's house!" It was already loaded up in the van, nestled in between sleeping bags and suitcases, four little wooden family members tucked inside and ready for action.

Photobucket

Photobucket

But as much as you love your old fashioned toys you have an equal passion for your modern ones too..

Photobucket

Photobucket

A girl after my own heart...

Photobucket

While we were camping, you demonstrated your latest obsession: waving. All we have to do is say "Hi, Lily" and your little hand shoots up in the air, frantically waving at whoever said hello.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Another cute obsession: peek-a-boo. Dinner time, lunch time, morning, afternoon or night- you love this game.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And I don't think any of us get tired of watching you play it:)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Every KOA camping trip includes traditional KOA camping food. Not to be confused with regular camping food such as hamburgers and hot dogs or pancakes over an open fire, KOA camping means easy peasy cooking for Mama. From donuts in the morning (the perks of camping close to town) and pizza at night (another perk), to salami and pepperjack on sourdough at lunchtime and s'mores and Lil' Debbies snacks and caramel apple lollipops for desserts...our KOA camping trips are one big excuse to indulge ourselves in the most calorie ridden/carbohydrate filled foods on the face of the planet.

And you loved it all!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


You know what, Lily? I love everything about camping. The food, the smells, the beauty of nature, the quiet of the night, the campfire, the relaxed atmosphere that so often escapes us in the day-to-day at home.

Photobucket

But mostly I just love having our family all in one place. Your brothers and sisters are getting older, and life seems to be pulling us all in different directions. It's hard sometimes, to slow down and just enjoy each others company without worrying about the next appointment we need to meet or place we have to go.

Photobucket


And honestly, Lily, sometimes being your mama means having to be a little more aware of what I'm putting into you than I've had to be with your brothers and sisters...whether that's the "big things" like trying hard to reinforce the things you've learned in therapy, or reading about new ways I can help you learn... or smaller things like teaching you how to hold a cup to drink or use a spoon...

Sometimes this special needs parenting requires more, and in doing so I don't want to miss the joy of just being your mommy. I don't want to be so focused on the next season or milestone that I miss the simple pleasure of just being with you.


Photobucket

It's late at night now...tomorrow will be the start of a new school year and a new chapter of our lives. Your big sister Mackenzie will be moving out in two weeks, and I know your brother Josiah will be making his way into the world soon as well. The older I get, the more aware I am of the changing of the seasons, and the fleetingness of them as well.

Photobucket

As we say goodbye to summer and head into autumn, I'm making mental notes to savor each moment, to not get so caught up in the hustle and bustle of life that I forget the simple pleasures of just being with the ones I love. The hues of summer greens are shifting to gold, but I'm making a conscious decision to enjoy each subtle change, and to embrace the promise of goodness that surely lies ahead.


To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

Photobucket

He has made everything beautiful in its time. Ecclesiastes 3:11

Photobucket


Loving my perfect Lily,

Mama oxox

16 comments:

Rachel said...

Beautiful as always....makes me want to take my girls out camping. Enjoy the new school year!

Team Lando said...

She is such a beauty, Patti!

cathy said...

PICTURES, WRITING---simply BEAUTIFUL

xoxo
cathy

Jane@flightplatformliving said...

oh patti, you got me with this one... again!tears in the uk and once more it's your fault!

i think its the beautiful pictures, your insanely transparant passion for your kids, the end of the summer, the changing of the seasons of our lives, especially the seasons of being mum! you got me honey your beautiful writing has tugged a piece of my heart...perhaps its poppy starting school in 2days? seasons changing here as well and your post made me focus on it when i haven't allowed myself to before! i miss the summer and camping too. love you dear friend, your blog is so beautiful x

nicole said...

Wow, so many great pictures and your words definitely resonated with me today. I always get a little sad this time of year knowing that another summer has come to an end and my kids are just that much older. Sigh. My sister and I remind each other from time to time that these are the "good 'ole days".

Hope your school year gets off to a great start ~ new school books can be so exciting! Blessings to you all.

Leah said...

lovely post! Of course adorable pictures of Lily like always!

Jonana said...

Ok, maybe I could camp...even though I told you I don't camp! So glad y'all had a good trip!

Michelle Z said...

Okay, those peek-a-boo pictures? Be still my heart! What a little love!!!!

Mrs. K said...

Guilty! I am guilty of letting a lot of the precious things in life slip by...too busy trying to be the "super woman" as those mothers who worked outside the home we labeled. Trying to be the perfect wife, the perfect mother with perfect children and the perfect employee, keeping a perfect house.
Missed out on a lot but then I can see I did raise perfect children...well, with the exception of Race Bannon. ;-)

Lena said...

I really enjoy your blog and seeing what cute Lily is up to. I remember playing with my Fisher Price blue play house back in the day, so it's fun to see Lily's play house.

Ashley said...

Beautiful :)

kecia said...

She is looking so old! These pics are some of my favorite of her lately! She just looks so cute in everyone !

Fresh Garden said...

Wonderful!

Lori said...

Ok - that is it - i am asking Santa for a really good camera - those pics are beautiful, makes me look at my blog and say "ugh!!"

lovemy3 said...

Beautifully said! I'm trying so hard to enjoy being Hailey's mom and not always on the next milestone. So glad you were able to enjoy everyone and go camping!

Shannon said...

hey patti, of course I will send you the invite. I may end up opening it back up sometime in the future as public, but I just found myself overly addicted to the how following and want to simoplify things for a while. Email me your email and I will send you the invite Sunday when I go private' My email is shannonblaeske@gmail