Thursday, September 1, 2011

reader shout-out thursday

Photobucket


Note: we're headed out to camping in a few hours, so these photos of Lily are from a few weeks ago...she's sound asleep and I really need her to stay that way while I finish up packing, rather than rouse her for a morning photo shoot;) The pics are from her big brother Tyler's birthday morning, and they have absolutely nothing to do with the reader's comments, but I don't like to post without pictures, sooo.....enjoy!

Welcome to Reader Shout-out Thursday. I read an article recently about improving your blog, and because it had such useful advice on music, I figured I better pay attention to the other helpful hints.
Photobucket

One of the suggestions was to remove the captcha option from your posts...if you don't know what that is, it's those annoying words like akdnobfieab366kf that you have to type in a box to leave a comment on a blog. They protect (supposedly) from spammers. However, I have found blogger to be extremely helpful in detecting spam without captcha, and if an occasional spammer gets through, I just delete the comment. I have to admit, I am a little lazy and I don't like having to take that extra step when I'm leaving a comment on a blog by typing those code words in...so I didn't want Lily's readers to have to do the same.

Photobucket

Another of those helpful hints talked about responding to comments in your comment section, and how it is completely rude to ignore people who comment all the time and not return a comment on their blog.

Umm. I am a bad blogger. Apparently.

And I just want to go on record as saying: I DO read every single comment, every post, and they do mean SO much to me. And I almost always follow comments back to the blogger (if they have a blog) to get a visual for who is talking to me! BUT...I am not the best comment leaver. I'm sorry!!

This is going to sound like a lame excuse, but I promise it's the truth- I have ten kids. Nine at home. And I almost always have another child...or two...or three... that I babysit. And I'm a pastor's wife...which means we have a congregation that we dearly love to tune into:) So the fact that I'm even a blogger is sort of a little miracle in and of itself! And although it may appear that I get 27 hours in a day by the amount of posts I submit each week and the ample supply of Lily photos posted here...I only get 24. So I try- I really try- to leave comments on all the blogs I visit, but I read a LOT of blogs. And I wish I had the time to leave a comment on every one of them, but...I don't. And guess what?

You don't either. :)

I know you don't !

You know why? Because Lily's blog averages 600-1,000 visits a day and there are usually only about 20 comments left on each post.

HA! I feel better already. Guilt assuaged:)

Photobucket

HOWEVER...I do want to give a nod to that article's helpful hints, because I saw how important the music issue was last week!

Thus my Reader Shout-Out Thursday. Rather than hop back and forth between all the blogs I love, leaving happy comments wherever I go (and typing in all those oaprjnf93wrf's)  I will highlight some here today. And if you have received a comment on your blog from me, just know I sacrificed feeding a child to leave it. teehee.




*each one of these readers have lovely blogs (with the exception of Race...who has a blog, but it's not...lovely.) If you haven't already done so, check them out!

**********************
Anna said...Beautiful post, Patti! It was your blog that brought RR and the orphans to my attention. Because of that, my husband and I looked into adopting Tabitha (15 H). Adoption is not in the cards right now for our family, but I am able to blog about the families that are adopting and I can donate whenever possible. It does start with one. One person can lead to many to several. Thank you for spreading awareness

********************


Jamie Wooddell said...
It was because of your post for Olga that we found "Wilson", our Zebadiah. And now, we are just four days from Gotcha Day and 12 days from bringing him HOME!
Thank you, Patti!

*********************

Leah said...
Such a lovely post! Thanks for continuing to inspire me in my efforts for Celine & Cora Lynne! Your posts always lift my spirits, I hope someday I can meet you, precious Lilly, & Mackenzie because you continue to help me know on my lowest days that I can make a difference!



**********************
Kellan's momma said...
Patti you have made a difference for more than just one. We can't all adopt, for one reason or another, but you have proven that you don't have to adopt to make a difference. You inspire me to keep trying to also make a difference, even though most of the time I don't think I ever will!

***********************
Race Bannon said...
Pat - this is a great page for the hearing impaired.

BRING BACK THE MUSIC!

*************************


Jane@flightplatformliving said...
beautiful beautiful beautiful...patti it was this blog that showed me what was happenning to orphans in this world, i had no idea before i knew you and lily!i am eternally grateful for all you do for opening my eyes and for your friendship xxxx




**********************
  Elissa said...
Patti-It was your fundraiser for Olga that led me to Elizabeth and the Clarks. It led me to help them and help so many other angels and their families. I thank you for your constant devotion to your own kids, your sweet Lily and all of "your children" listed at RR. It has been my honor and pleasure to "know" you, and I just hope some day I can say I really have met you. ;p


*****************

April Vernon said...
This post was really helpful for me. Levi is also entering his separation anxiety stage. He does fine in Bible class and worship but doesn't want to be left with a grandparent or anyone else even for a few hours. I like the idea of just a few minutes at a time and working up to a longer time frame. Thanks for the idea!




**********************

  Stephanie said...Thanks for this post. I am experiencing this exact same thing with Ellis Anne who also has DS...she is almost 3. Separation anxiety has changed the way we have to work through our daily lives. Ellis Anne is so happy and content at home, BUT.....she does not cope very well when she is left at nursery. We don't seem to be getting any better...it's hard to do. We have tried staying home and yes, that does work, but we can't do that forever. Right now, we are trying leaving her for 10 minutes or so and then are upping our time (like you talked about in your post). We just started this, so I am praying this will help our little Ellis Anne.

Way to go Lily!!!

******************




off to camping! be back with pics Saturday!

17 comments:

Leah said...

Thanks for sharing my comment! I don't always get around to posting comments at all the blogs I follow either. Love the lilly pictures today! Come check out the Giveaway I have going for Celine!

Melissa said...

There's no way I could comment on every blog I read, but I am reading!!

I've wondered about captcha, and may get rid of mine too...

Mrs. K said...

Patti, this is Mom on Dad's PC. I don't mind the captcha but I agree with Race, I do mind not hearing your choice of music. Love my Lils pictures and the photos at the beginning were GREAT!!! Got to see all my grandbabies.

Anna Theurer said...

Patti,

You are too funny. It would be a full-time job reading all of those blogs! Thanks for the shout-out :)

I do not always comments but I do always read. Love the pictures with most of the kiddos! Precious :)

cathy said...

I do LOVE your music, but I understand why you put it optional

those capcha, or whoever you spell it are annoying--

I am here to affirm anyones' doubts that you DO INDEED read all your posts!

ALSO, if anyone else, besides Patti reads this post, I HIGHLY recommend buying some SCENTSY from Patti's store---the product IS WONDERFUL & the prices are extremely fair. just sayin'

Glad you included pictures because I would have been disappointed
Enjoy camping & loving your babies (doesn't matter how old they are)

xoxo
cathy

Heidi Ehle said...

I am getting to be the same way.I don't always comment on the blogs I read (usually a select few that I read every day and then if another has a post that I really get or that moves me!) However, I DO read every single comment left on my blog and I absolutely love getting them. It's kind of like Christmas morning when I open blogger and find I have new ones! :)
I just feel privileged that you actually READ my blog! :)
Have a blast camping!

nicole said...

In that last picture, Lily looks like she knows something the rest of us don't. She probably does.

And I have to agree with Cathy about the Scentsy products ~ I love, love, love my room sprays and fragrance foams. "Luna" is a great fragrance and I save it just for our bedroom so that it has its own unique smell. Sounds weird, I know, but that's me.

And I have to disagree with you, Patti. Race's blog is lovely in a brusque-masculine-conservative-informative kind of way. Okay, you're right, that really isn't lovely.

April Vernon said...

Thanks for the great tips on blogging. I really want to make my blog better (and thanks for the shout-out, too)!

So I took Levi to a friend's house today for a few hours and had to go get him before the planned pick up time b/c he wouldn't stop crying :( Better luck next time!

The Kirkland's said...

Thanks for the great tips on blogging! although I didn't have a music player I was considering one, but now I guess I will forego that idea. Also I need to go see if I have captcha turned on! These were great tips, I have been trying to figure out ways to improve my blog.

Race Bannon said...

I don't like the music change...now I have to scroll down, find the music, press play, and by then - I'm bored, blog reading over.

Anywho, is the plain white background part of the PC-blog-friendly world you have moved to?

See ya, its Friday and I'm going to get some sugarfree vanilla ice cream. Yum.

Lori said...

LOVE Jon Jon's hat!! :)

Deb said...

Hope you have fun camping!

You have inspired me to read about improving my blog! I write since I wanted to be a journalist and it never came to pass! Also because it helps me release thoughts from my head! I still, however, want my blog to be appealing to those who read it.

Biggest tips I found from my reasearch so far are: personality is important, photos - people like them, post often - or you lose interest, paragraphs should be small - so people can easily scan them etc!

Thanks for the inspiration and the adorable pics (the tip is right, I do like them)!

mia said...

Hello,

my english is very bad, but i hope you can understand me.

i must say, I LOVE LILY, her smile, her life, you - the parents and in first, your love in family.

down syndrom, is not smile, but love. i hope, lily makes her life like a butterfly on a sunny day.

Jane@flightplatformliving said...

ahhh thanks honey for putting my comment up! have a fabbo time camping. xxxxxxxxxxxx love ya x

Kelly Marin said...

Patti, you're awesome! I only have 4 kiddos and pretty sure a smaller church and I fail miserably sometimes. How you do all you do and encourage and uplift and help so many others is Amazing. You're Wonder Woman! I love your blog and you inspire me to be a better mom:)

Janie Fox said...

I read you but don't always comment. Life is packed full and it is grand. Too much to do to always take time out to write a comment. I read a LOT of blogs too. I have grown kids but elderly parents and 5 grands that I want to speed off and enjoy. I am glad you got rid of the spammy thing. I am usually annoyed by it! hehe Keep blogging and I will keep reading!

Bethany said...

I can't comment on your blogg from my phone. So, since I'm at the Library I wanted to tell you that I'm deeply grateful to you and forever indebted to the child who went hungry in order for you to comment on my humble little blog! lol ;) It made my day!!! ...Bethany