Sunday, August 28, 2011

just one

Dearest Lily,

A few days ago we received a package in the mail that made Mama cry. I still can't read the letter that was enclosed without getting tears in my eyes. It was from your friend Mia Kareens' family...




Dear Rice Family,


We wanted to once again tell you how much we love you and appreciate what you have done for our little Mia and for many others that have found their forever families. We don't know if we would have ever found our little princess had it not been for your selfless act of kindness to start a fundraiser on her behalf. We wanted to send you a little gift that we brought back from the Ukraine for you, along with a few bracelets....







The truth is, sweet Lily, we were a very small part of Mia Kareen's miracle. You see, there are quite a few people who have come here since your birth to read about you. Your life has already touched so many people. Last December that audience grew so much bigger- because God moved on so many hearts at Christmas time to save a little girl named Olga.  



What started out as our family's desire to help rescue a little girl with Down syndrome on the other side of the world, turned into a journey of the heart for so many others as well. What's amazing to me, is that our hope to save just one blossomed into a network of miracles, for so many more.





We could never take credit for the beautiful and miraculous work that has begun on behalf of the orphans on Reece's Rainbow. Because honestly, what we've seen unfold is the result of the One who is mighty to save, moving on the hearts and minds of so many.  People like Deanna, Cathy, Stephanie, Mitch, Ginny, Nicole, Cara, Barb, Elissa, Trisha, Krista, Susanna, Jenn, Katy, Adam, Julie, Sasha, Rochelle, Kelly, Cassie, Penny, John, Leah, Faith, Lori, Nikki, Tracy and Cole...and the list goes on and on...


...so even though we are honored and blessed to be a small part of the miracle that took place for Mia Kareen,  we know we share that joy with so many other who gave and prayed and shared until that little princess was home.




There are few things in this life that give such lasting joy and fulfillment as knowing we were involved in the rescue of a child. I am so thankful that God used you, sweet Lily, to open our eyes to the fate of so many others, and that He knit our hearts together with so many like-minded friends.

I'm so thankful too, for these wise words last from a dear friend, last December:

What you're doing is showing Lily and your other children and the other people in your community that LILY is worth this. That LC is worth this. That we would beg, borrow, and obsess ourselves to make sure they knew love and felt valued and wanted. That, if Lily were alone on the other side of the ocean, you would find her and rescue her no matter what the cost or how much dignity needed to be compromised.


The Starfish Poem
Once upon a time there was a wise man
who used to go to the ocean
to do his writing.
He had a habit of walking
on the beach
before he began his work.
One day he was walking along
the shore.
As he looked down the beach,
he saw a human figure
 moving like a dancer.
He smiled to himself to think
of someone who would
dance to the day.
So he began to walk faster
to catch up.
As he got closer, he saw
that it was a young man
and the young man wasn't dancing,
but instead he was reaching
down to the shore,
picking up something
and very gently throwing it
into the ocean.
As he got closer he called out,
"Good morning! What are you doing?"
The young man paused,
looked up and replied,
"Throwing starfish in the ocean."
"I guess I should have asked,
why are you throwing starfish in the ocean?"
"The sun is up and the tide is going out.
And if I don't throw them in they'll die."
"But, young man, don't you realize that
there are miles and miles of beach
and starfish all along it.
You can't possibly make a difference!"
The young man listened politely.
Then he bent down, picked up another starfish
and threw it into the sea,
past the breaking waves and said-

"It made a difference for that one."





I promise you, Lily: I'm going to do my best to make a difference for just one.


Loving you always,

Mama oxox


*************************

Dear Readers,

If you want a chance to help make a difference in the life of an orphan, please go HERE and HERE. These families are well into the adoption process, but they need our help to bring their children home. Because every child deserves the love that Mia Kareen knows today.

~Patti

17 comments:

Anna Theurer said...

Beautiful post, Patti! It was your blog that brought RR and the orphans to my attention. Because of that, my husband and I looked into adopting Tabitha (15 H). Adoption is not in the cards right now for our family, but I am able to blog about the families that are adopting and I can donate whenever possible. It does start with one. One person can lead to many to several. Thank you for spreading awareness.

Heidi Ehle said...

One of my favorite songs by Garth Brooks (just recently posted on my blog) has some pretty powerful lyrics that kind of go along with this post.

"One hand reaches out and pulls a lost soul from harm, while a thousand more go unspoken for. They say what good have you done by saving just this one? It's like whispering a prayer into the fury of a storm. I hear them saying you'll never change things. And no matter what you do it's still the same thing. But it's not the world that I am changing. I do this so, this world will know, that it will not change me."

He also say that as long as one heart still holds on, hope is never really gone.

Patti, what you do here may not seem like much to you. But the fact that your heart holds on to so much hope DOES make a difference. Your words bring attention to a precious few of these dear babies and because of that, while you may not be changing the world, you ARE changing THEIR world. :)

Much love to you and Lils and everyone else!
Heidi

Jamie Wooddell said...

It was because of your post for Olga that we found "Wilson", our Zebadiah. And now, we are just four days from Gotcha Day and 12 days from bringing him HOME!
Thank you, Patti!

Ginger said...

You won Adeye's giveaway!! Congrats!

Stephanie said...

Oh my Patti...you won the $500 WalMart gift card from Liliana's fundraiser!!! Will you please email me about it.
srlynch052003@hotmail.com...I was not sure how to get in touch with you.

I think you preview these before posting...so you don't have to post this one.

Thanks so much.

Stephanie Lynch

nicole said...

How sweet for Kecia to bless you for helping save Mia Kareen. Such cute dolls that will always be treasured. Keep up the good work, friend!

Leah said...

Such a lovely post! Thanks for continuing to inspire me in my efforts for Celine & Cora Lynne! Your posts always lift my spirits, I hope someday I can meet you, precious Lilly, & Mackenzie because you continue to help me know on my lowest days that I can make a difference!

Kellan's momma said...

Patti you have made a difference for more than just one. We can't all adopt, for one reason or another, but you have proven that you don't have to adopt to make a difference. You inspire me to keep trying to also make a difference, even though most of the time I dont think I ever will!

Kellan's momma said...

Patti you have made a difference for more than just one. We can't all adopt, for one reason or another, but you have proven that you don't have to adopt to make a difference. You inspire me to keep trying to also make a difference, even though most of the time I dont think I ever will!

Race Bannon said...

Pat - this is a great page for the hearing impaired.

BRING BACK THE MUSIC!

Jane@flightplatformliving said...

beautiful beautiful beautiful...patti it was this blog that showed me what was happenning to orphans in this world, i had no idea before i knew you and lily!i am eternally grateful for all you do for opening my eyes and for your friendship xxxx

Mrs. K said...

Love those big poka dots!!! Love the dress and hair bow and shoes even more. What fun to have Michael to play with. Do you remember the stackable Joseph, Mary and Jesus dolls?

Penny's Peeps said...

Love this!!!! Such great pics, and what a blessing!

Rochelle said...

Girl you have meant so much to so many. Thankful for your heart to follow God's call to advocate for these sweet angels!

Elissa said...

Patti-It was your fundraiser for Olga that led me to Elizabeth and the Clarks. It led me to help them and help so many other angels and their families. I thank you for your constant devotion to your own kids, your sweet Lily and all of "your children" listed at RR. It has been my honor and pleasure to "know" you, and I just hope some day I can say I really have met you. ;p

cara said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Cjb said...

I stumbled across (though I didn't really stumble, the Lord lead me here for a reason of that I am sure) your blog almost 3 hours ago now....and have not been able to stop reading, you and your family have become an inspiration to me and Lily is the most adoable little girl I have ever seen. I do not know anyone with down syndrome, nor do I have any children of my own, rather I am an 18yr old female (who is quite clucky but just patiently waiting for the Lord to allow the right man to ente my life to begin that chapter of my life with it), however I have always been looking forward to the day when I can hold my own baby in my arms and know that they are my precious gift from God and I only pray that if I am blessed with a child like Lily that I can have some of the strength and faith that you seem to show in these blogs. I wanted to comment on this particular one because the poem really hit me close to my heart, and it was as though the Lord was speaking to me through your post and saying 'my daughter, I know you would like to change the world, and when people ask you why you are studying to be a social worker you offer them the simple explanation of wishing to change the world, what you need to remember is that you cannot change the world alone and if you try to change one life, one little aspect of this world, whether you succeed or fail as long as you do it with m help you will have changed the world in my eyes, in my eyes you will always be good enough'.
Thankyou for sharing your families story with the world, and thankyou for reminding me that I can only achieve by working with and through the Lord, that I cannot tackle this world alone and I must trust the Lord with the plan he has for my life. I pray your beautiful little girl continues to be a blessing in your life and the lives of all those who the Lord leads to this blod