Wednesday, June 8, 2011

prepare to be amazed

Some days are just days, the sun rises and stretches its rays across the grass and the paperboy throws the paper onto the porch with a thud, the birds chirp and the alarm goes off.

But some days ....

Some days that glorious golden orb rises in celebration, as if it were the first day it had ever graced the frosty landscape with its brilliant pulsing light, the paperboy gracefully lobs his carefully aimed missile in a smooth arch, sailing through the air with gravity defying perfection as it lands happily in its designated destination on the porch with a triumphant thud, the birds serenade the morning in with a cheerful melody that bodes good fortune for the day and the sound of the alarm echoes the joyous call.

Yesterday was one of those days.

Behold. She walks.





I realize that to the average parent that little shaky, stiff legged, stroller-aided stumble might not be awe-inspiring. But when you're the parent of a child with special needs, that moment was no less cause for celebration than the royal wedding.

Apparently Lily takes note when someone says she "can't" do something. Because the other night I was watching a friend's video of her little girl, who shares that magical extra chromosome and who is just a little bit younger than Lily...I sat slack-jawed, with Lily on my lap as we watched Addison cruise around the table, carefully placing each foot sideways as she stretched to reach a klondike wrapper. "Look at this, Sam, Addison is walking around the table! Lily can't even take a step sideways yet, I wonder if Deanna realizes how amazing this is?!"

So last night when Daddy got home from work and relaxed on the floor with the Lilybird, she decided to show us she's no slacker. Can't do something? Forget about it!

And while we're on the subject of incredible feats of amazingness, please check out this blog.

And Jane- you are extraordinary.

If you gave to Albina during our Canon Rebel giveaway, you helped make that miracle happen.

It's not every day you experience a miracle.

But I'm starting to figure out that it sort of goes hand in hand with this little thing called Down syndrome. I can't wait to get to Heaven, because I want to see that little 21st chromosome under one of God's microscopes...because I have a feeling that along with other genetic instruction like almond eyes and sandal-gapped toes, there is something that says "accompanied by multiplied miracles."

And speaking of miracles, Lily's little friend Ollie is going in for open heart surgery tomorrow. Ollie's mama Annie is asking for lots of prayer for her, so please keep this family in your prayers. Annie donated one of her beautiful custom made blankets to our Three Little Angels giveaway, and I promised I would ask Lily's readers to pray in exchange. If you want to leave a comment on her blog, telling her you're praying, I'm sure she would love to hear from you.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have an amazing day to attend to....

22 comments:

Deanna said...

YAY LILY! That walking was truly, brilliantly beautiful! Way to go!!!

Becca said...

Fantastic job, Lily!!!

And I'll definitely be thinking of sweet little Ollie tomorrow.

Mrs. K said...

Tried posting to Ollie's blog but for some reason it wouldn't let me. I am praying for Ollie, the little chubby Dollie.

WOW amazing Lily. You go girl!!! All that kissing and affection your Mama and Daddy and siblings shower you with has taught you to give back and to your baby doll. You are such a sweetie. Grammi love you oh so much.

my family said...

good job lily!!!

Lori said...

We are soooo proud of you lily!!! We were all watching and cheering you on!!! Next time we get together, you and elli will be chasing eachother around!!! Love you so much and miss you!! Sooooo excited!!

Anna Theurer said...

Rock on Lily! Did you see how mid-way through the video, she popped herself right back up to keep on walking? That baby doll and baby stroller--HER motivators.

Also, I am SO happy you posted about Jane. I got serious goosebumps when I read her post yesterday. I just haven't had time to post on The Ellie Bellie Bear blog yet.

My prayers are with Ollie!

Laurie said...

WooHoo!! Lily!!

It is wonderful how that extra something gives us cause to have incremental celebrations, isn't it? We don't just celebrate walking, we celebrate every tiny piece of it!!

Anna Theurer said...

Patti, you probably know this already but in case you do not. . . when Ellie was first learning about standing and cruising, she had trouble with the baby stroller and push toys. Instead, we used a large box for her to push around. You know, like the box that the push toy came in. It worked wonders! She could lean her upper body on the box and it wouldn't collapse and she could easily walk without the toy wheeling out from under her. Maybe cut a little hole in the box to sit Lily's baby doll in to make it a but more motivating.

nicole said...

Holy cow Lily! Not only were you walking, you stood back up all by yourself. You're getting so strong!

So very generous of Jane. And will of course be praying for Ollie.

Becky said...

Yes, beautiful amazing moments, aren't they? I loved your video and felt the pride and glorious celebration you must be feeling. I get it...

Wren said...

Look at her GO...she's out to prove a point for sure! Way to go Lily!!!

Shauna said...

AMAZING Lily....you go girl!

Jane@flightplatformliving said...

oh thankyou darling for your lovely words, really thankyou! and Lily, you are the most scrumptious little walking warrior i have ever seen! she is so amazing isnt she. my eyes filled with tears when you said about getting to heaven and looking down the genetic microscope, i think tilly in her missing piece might have the words written, 'i challenge you not to loose your heart, i am joy'!

Michelle Z said...

Adorable!! Love her :)

stephanie said...

Go Lily! whenever Miss Em sees me at the computer she comes over because she likes to watch videos(she's addicted to the Squibs)
She caught Miss Lily walking and was glued to the screen. so funny.
awesome video!

cathy said...

It all happens in her & HIS time.....doesn't matter when, we just rejoice as it happens!!

xoxo
cathy

Jenny said...

Yaay Lily!! Russell has been practicing pushing a little chair around...He takes very. Tiny. Steps.
Lily you are fantastic and we are so proud of you :)

Ginger said...

Not awe-inspiring??! Of course it's awe-inspiring! I think it's the greatest thing ever when my children, who have no real challenges, start walking. You would have thought our baby was a genius when she started taking steps. All her siblings and daddy and I went completely nuts! These milestones are amazing; even more so when they don't come easy.

Ilisa Ailts said...

I know exactly what you are talking about! Calvin is moving and in a rather ungraceful way, but I am so excited about it!

cara said...

She's WALKING!! Tears! This has blessed me SO much. Thank you for sharing this. She is really strong to stop and do it again.

I have been off of here for a couple of days and missed SO much. Now, I have to go back and comment on all of these wonderful posts. But SAD that I missed this and Lily's walking debut. Give her lots of hugs and kisses from us. I just showed Abigail and getting ready to show all the kids. They will be thrilled. They are working and working with Benji.

cara said...

I was watching Lily again- she reminds us SO much of Benji (her little moves she makes and expressions). LOVE this video. IT makes me SO happy I could watch it over and over.

kecia said...

look at her go! So amazing to see the daily miracles in our little ones! love it!