Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hope...from Yorktown Heights

Dearest Lily,


Starting last fall, for many months I kept noticing a visitor to your blog on my little feedjit tab, from Yorktown Heights, New York. One night I asked God...could you show me who this person is, who reads about my Lily all the time?

Shortly thereafter I received a sweet comment from a reader named Cathy...through a series of emails I discovered that Cathy was the mysterious visitor from Yorktown Heights.

We have since become "email pals" and Cathy holds a special place in my heart for her tender words of encouragement, constant prayers and love, and her devotion to you, dearest Lily. Cathy won one of my giveaways a few months ago...a pair of silver bird earrings. She asked me for my address to send a thank you, and a few weeks later in the mail I received...the silver earrings. Attached was a note that said she had bought herself a pair, and we have since promised each other that we will both wear our earrings when we meet in person some day.

Cathy is an amazing woman, with an equally amazing story. She and her husband have been married for 30 years, and they were high school sweethearts. They now have three sons, Kevin, Chris and Cody, all wonderful young men with hearts of gold like their mama. When Chris was born, he had a rare heart defect and had to have open heart surgery at 15 months old. When Cathy was pregnant with Cody, markers showed up for Down syndrome...Cody was born without Ds, but at age 9 he was diagnosed with leukemia 2 days before Cathy was diagnosed with breast cancer. They underwent treatment together; Cody is in recover, but Cathy relapsed and is now in lifetime treatment.

When the call went out for prayer and money for Olga, Cathy was one of the first to respond with donations and love and a shared burden. Her sons all responded with their mother's generosity... Kevin organized a dress-down day at the school where he teaches, and he raised $192. Chris took up donations at his office and collected $287, and Cody raised $287 at his college by taking up donations. Cathy told a dear friend of hers about Olga, and she gave $100. I don't think a day went by that I didn't hear from Cathy, asking me how our girls were doing, or encouraging me with her kind words.

Yesterday I received a package in the mail...I recognized Cathy's familiar flowing handwriting and smiled, as I opened the pale pink card that was enclosed- a pink ribbon stamped onto the front and the word "hope." Enclosed as well, was a beautiful necklace... a pink gem and a delicate silver heart dangling from a silver chain. On the heart is etched one word : hope.

I read through tears, the words of my dear friend from Yorktown Heights...

I saw this necklace and had to get you one (& me too)- you see, HOPE is my most favorite word. I learned through prayer and our family illnesses that it is so important to believe in it to survive. Please accept this with my love. Wish we could be there to celebrate your little "angel's" birthday.

In my prayers and heart
Love,
Cathy

So tonight, sweet Lily, I am thanking God for all that He gave us, when He gave us you. Because if I never had a beautiful and perfect Lily placed in my arms, one year ago this Sunday...I would never have met my dear friend from Yorktown Heights.

Photobucket


** Thank you, Cathy...for my earrings, my necklace, and for your friendship.
And thank you for HOPE. It means the world to me.




Loving you as always,

19 comments:

CKopp said...

It would be nice if you wore a necklace with the word CHRIS on it. We all need a little CHRIS.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if I've posted before, or even how I found your beautiful Lily, but this post brought tears to my eyes first thing this morning! What an amazing friend you have found through the blogging world. Many blessings to you all!!!

Vicki in NY

Race Bannon said...

...how about one that says RACE.

No, wait, that would probably not go over so well. People would blame Sarah Palin.

stephanie said...

Patti that's beautiful! And so is Cathy. You know I can boast that she has a links to RI!!! LOL
She is a gem!

fckopp said...

Sorry, I do not get why you are holding a camera up in your beautiful picture.

What a sweet friend you have in Cathy. I prefer the name HOPE to CHRIS on a necklace, it makes more sense. OH and Hope does mean the world to me too. :>) (Little play on words.)

Lori said...

When you come see me patti we will take a drive to see Cathy - she is only 3 hours from us!! I would love to meet her too!!

cathy said...

I am so blessed, my dear friend....

xoxo
cathy

nicole said...

Beautiful

Jill said...

Lovely post! Nice camera, girl :)

Annie @ The House That Jade Built said...

What a beautiful friend! Isn't it amazing how blogs connect us and make us friends we'd otherwise never have!

Wren said...

What a great friend you have and a beautiful post!

Lacey said...

My good friend that lives right here by me is adopting Kareen!! She said that seeing our adoption made her look more closely, and they knew it was the right thing to do! I can't wait to meet this princess! I'm helping her momma through the adoption process now, becaue we know it can be grueling!

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is so sweet Patti! I will be praying for her cancer too. I love the necklace, and you look beautiful wearing it. Love, Cara

sunnylattegma said...

Beautiful and precious.

Roger B. said...

What a beautiful camera! You must be a special person to have great friends who buy you electronics!

God Bless

kecia said...

Seriously?! I can't look at your blog without crying!! Once again,the tears are flowing! guess I should get used to it huh?!

Sarah said...

what a sweet story!!!

Beth said...

Such a sweet post...my baby daughter is named Hope. She came after losing 3 babies before her. It's one of the most beautiful words in the world.

Cathy said...

Thanks to you, Patti, I've met Cathy too. What a truly beautiful soul she is!