Sunday, January 16, 2011

Happy Birthday Lily

Dearest Lily,

It is just past midnight...and officially your birthday!

It's been a pretty emotional week for Mama. I've been thinking for days about what this special day meant to us..the day you entered our lives. One year ago I was up late, looking at all of the wonderful gifts I received at your baby shower that night. The day had been such a roller coaster- a perfect reflection of my whole pregnancy with you.

We had spent the morning at the doctor's office, as they wanted to do a third stress test for the week. You were moving so slowly all week, and your doctors were getting very concerned, with three weeks left to go til your due date.

You didn't pass your morning stress test, so Dr.Boyle decided to send us for an ultrasound to see what you were doing. Based on the results, she would decide whether or not to induce me. Your shower was planned for that night, so everybody was waiting on the ultrasound results to see whether we could have a party ..or have a baby. After scoring all your "points" on your ultrasound, Mama's doctor decided we were okay for the weekend...

...but you had other plans!

Grammi and Aunt Hopie had flown to Oregon from Arizona to surprise us at your shower- and I honestly have never been so surprised in my life. I remember staring blankly at them when I opened the door...how could I not have recognized my own mom and sister?! It still makes me laugh today to think what I must have looked like, standing there with a blank look on my face.

And it still amazes me when I think of the odds of going into labor on my own, less than 12 hours after they arrived here. They were only staying a day...you must have really wanted Grammi and Aunt Hopie to witness your birth, Lily.

But in all actuality..I truly believe God knew I needed my sister and mama there on the most difficult, but most beautiful, the most soul-stretching day of my life.

The day I had you.

It's been a life changing year for us, Lily.

You and I have grown in so many ways, and I am more in love with you today than I ever thought possible. You have taught me that the little things in life truly do mean the most. You have stretched my heart when I didn't think it could stretch anymore. You have made me a better person just by being you...my sweet and perfect Lily.

You have touched so many lives in your short year with us, and I know you will continue to do the same all the days of your life. You have wrapped our entire family around your crooked little pinky, and you have given us new eyes to see a world of children who are just like you..children like Olga and Kareen and countless others..we never would have known if we hadn't been given you.

Lily, I said it in a letter to you when I first started writing here...


Baby, whoever you are, know this. You are loved. You are cherished, and longed for, and prayed for, and treasured, and so so loved. I don't care what you have, how many chromosomes, how many "defects", Mommy and Daddy will take care of you and do all that we can to show you how very loved you are.

On this, your very first birthday, I want you to know that next to salvation, you are the best gift that God has ever given to me. I love you with all my heart, Lily Anne. I don't deserve to be your mama, but I am so thankful that God blessed me with that privilege.

Happy birthday, to my beautiful little girl...

I love you.



**If you can't see the media player, refresh the page**


Loving you forever and always,


*******

P.S. Allison was picked by random.org as the winner of the fingerprint necklace :)

41 comments:

Elindsey said...

Happy birthday Lily!!! We love you! I'm up late with contractions, hoping Patton will share a birthday with you!

stephanie said...

Happy Happy first birthday Miss Lilly. May God bless you with joy and health for 100 more.

Patti, a beautiful post from a mama's heart. Glad you got the slide show together it was breath taking. (well look what you had to work with)

relax and inhale every second of beautiful day.

Our Family said...

happy birthday sweet girl!

Katy said...

Happy birthday Lily!!! Thank you, Patti, for every glimpse you give us into your heart and your life. You and Lily have both touched many, many lives. Enjoy Lily's special day!

Becca said...

Absolutely beautiful, Patti! Happy birthday, beautiful little Lily!!

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday sweet Lily!

Race Bannon said...

Happy Birthday!

nicole said...

This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad!! Thoroughly enjoyed the video, especially any picture with Lily sucking her thumb. Happy Birthday Lilybird!

sunnylattegma said...

Happy Birthday sweet Lily!

Colleen said...

Happy Birthday Lily, what an amazing year it has been!

Looking Up said...

Happy Birthday to your beautiful Lily. :)

patsy said...

happy happy birthday miss lily! i so wish we were closer to be there to give you hugs and kisses! and yet another post patti that had me in tears :) you write so beautifully, truly from your heart. and loved the video....which also had me crying ;) hope you have a wonderful, wonderful day celebrating your sweet girl.

Anna said...

Happy Birthday Lilly! It is my birthday too so I am glad we share a birthday!

Anonymous said...

Oh Patti! I am in tears reading your heart and this most beautiful letter to Lily. Happy Birthday Lily!!! Because of you so many lives have been changed forever, including mine. You are a gift from God. And you happen to have a really special Mommy that writes you the sweetest letters. You are loved by so many. That sweet smile you have that lights up melts me every time I see it. I am excited that your mommy shares you with the world. She is selflessly blessing us all by doing it. Have a wonderful, wonderful fun filled day. You are truly a perfect Lily!

Anonymous said...

Oops, the above comment is from Cara. Much love to you all!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Lily :)

Cameo's Angels said...

Happy Birthday sweet Lily! Oh and Patti I wanted to correct you, you do deserve to be her momma! She chose you to speak for her and fight for her and love her forever. She is a very smart girl!! What a blessing she has been to all that you come in contact with!! I second what another poster said. Thank you for sharing your daughter with us, the world. We so love reading about her and reading your words. Happy Birthday sweet girl!!

Jenny said...

Thank you for sharing so much of you with us Patti, beautiful post, I love reading how much Lily has blessed your life.
Amazing video, and an amazing little girl!! Happy 1st Birthday Lily!!

fckopp said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MISS LILY ANNE RICE!!! Thank you so much for coming when Aunt Hopie, Jade, Grace and I were there. You and God planned that prefectly. Miss you and your family soooo much.

Lacey said...

Happy Happy birthday beautiful girl! Here's to a fantastic day full of fun!!

Deanna said...

Beautiful Montage...loved it! Happy, happy birthday Lily. Addison hopes to meet you someday....especially since you share a boyfriend and all. (-:

cathy said...

Happy, happy birthday Lily!

with love & prayers,
kevin, cathy
kevin, chris & cody

xoxo

Rochelle said...

Beautiful post Patti! I am so thankful God healed you through your sweet little blessing. Also, am so thankful he opened your heart to the orphans.

Lily, may God bless this wonderful day of celebrating your first year and may you and your family always know his love and favor!
Happy birthday, can't wait to see those cake pics =)

Elisabeth said...

Patti, I am wiping away tears of joy, thanking the Lord for you and for Lily and for the work that God is doing in your life. God truly does work all things together for good! What a gift Lily is, and how kind of the Lord to use her as his way of healing you.

Happy Birthday Lily!!!

Kris Altringer said...

Happy Birthday Lily!!! Patti, she was definitely worth changing Breezy's name for!! She is the PERFECT LILY!! See you soon!

tekeal said...

more happy birthday wishes from over the seas... xxx

Elissa said...

Happy Happy Birthday Lily! Thanks for being born so that I would "know" you and your beautiful family!

5henrys said...

Happy Birthday Sweet Girl! Our lives are enlightened because of who you are! Thank you Patti for being such a great example of courage and Godly parenting! A thousand kisses from our family to yours :)

Wren said...

Happy 1st Birthday sweet girl!!!! Sutter and I feel so blessed to share this special day with you and your family! xoxo

Ilisa Ailts said...

Happy BIrthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday dear Lily. Happy Birthday to you!! Yay!

Susanna said...

Happy birthday, sweet Lily! :) It will be fun to watch you grow and learn this year!

kecia said...

Happy birthday! I too am glad you have lily because through her I have met you and you helped lead me to Kareen.

Kelly Marin said...

Happy Happy Birthday Lily Bird!

amy jupin said...

this post is absolutely beautiful.
wishing miss lily the happiest of birthdays! lots of love from the jupin family! :)

Anonymous said...

Patti- I was just able to watch the video. For some reason, I could not watch it earlier. I hope you all had a perfect day. The video was beautiful- the Father's love shines through you all. It is so special to see a family full of His Love. Love, Cara

Katy carter said...

What a JOY!!!! She is so blessed to be soo adored. We love our niece/cousin, Happy Birthday Lily bird.

Erin said...

Happy birthday Lily!

Melissa M said...

Happy Birthday Lily!! I have loved watching your first year pass along with Claire's, and I hope you two are able to meet in person some day.

Patti, thank you, as always, for a beautiful post.

Kaetlyn said...

Happy belated birthday, Lily! You are such a beautiful, special little girl, with an amazing Mama. Beautiful post, Patti. I cried a river (as I often do). HAPPIEST of birthdays to dear Lily!

Keri Jo said...

Lovly video Patti! I feel so privilaged to have read your story as it happened over a year ago before Lily was even born. To hear the heartache, share your tears, and see your victories along the way this last year. I am so in love with Lily and I've only "seen" her once!!! I wish we could've been close enough to come celebrate with her.

I would love to see in one of your posts her stat's of where she's at. Like what's her height, weight, etc... I see she stands good now, but does she pull herself up and is she scooting along the furniture?? Okay, maybe I'm just a nosy momma that loves the details!!!
Happy Birthday LILY...
Love the 8 of us :)

katekopp said...

Thank you so much again Patti! Wiping tears of joy and thanking God for you and your family (and all kinds of healing)!! Happy Birthday Lily!!