Saturday, December 4, 2010

Just One

Dearest Lily,

Lately I've been thinking about this one "wild and precious life" I've been given...


Photobucket

...and about what I'm doing with it.


Daddy and I have been involved in building a church in our little town for almost 13 years now. Daddy pastors, and I play piano and try to keep track of all of your siblings...


Photobucket


And although we don't have an enormous congregation...they are homegrown. We didn't lure sheep from other churches...we found sinners (just like us) and introduced them to Jesus.

And sometimes it feels like we're swimming upstream. Sometimes it feels like we win one person to Jesus for every hundred who walk away. But if one person makes Heaven their home some day because we showed them the love and mercy of God...

Photobucket

...then it's worth it.

So I'm thinking tonight of those beautiful babies, hidden away in orphanages far from here.

And wondering, hoping, praying, believing that I can make a difference in their lives.

And if just one child is rescued from a life otherwise destined to abandonment, because of the words someone reads here...


Photobucket

...then it's worth it.

****************
adapted from The Star Thrower
by Loren Eiseley (1907-1977)


**Thank you, Lisa, for introducing me to The Starfish Story on your blog:) **

The Starfish

Once upon a time there was a wise man

who used to go to the ocean

to do his writing.

He had a habit of walking

on the beach

before he began his work.

One day he was walking along

the shore.

As he looked down the beach,

he saw a human

figure moving like a dancer.

He smiled to himself to think

of someone who would

dance to the day.

So he began to walk faster

to catch up.

As he got closer, he saw

that it was a young man

and the young man wasn't dancing,

but instead he was reaching

down to the shore,

picking up something

and very gently throwing it

into the ocean.

Photobucket

As he got closer he called out,

"Good morning! What are you doing?"

The young man paused,

looked up and replied,

"Throwing starfish in the ocean."

"I guess I should have asked,

why are you throwing starfish in the ocean?"

"The sun is up and the tide is going out.

And if I don't throw them in they'll die."

"But, young man, don't you realize that

there are miles and miles of beach

and starfish all along it.

You can't possibly make a difference!"

The young man listened politely.

Then bent down, picked up another starfish

and threw it into the sea,

past the breaking waves and said-


Photobucket

"It made a difference for that one."


Praying to make a difference...

Love always,

Mama oxox

****************
Part Two of my interview with Lisa Peele coming next...and if you missed it, please read Part One below.

10 comments:

Ashley said...

I know I say this all the time, but beautiful pictures :) I loved that star fish story too....so beautiful

stephanie said...

Got me crying again! as I sit here and think of more ways to fight for sweet Olga. Patti I'm so worried about her. She will be five in January!! I know God didn't put her in front of me just to see her be put in an institution, but I can't help but worry.

Then on the other hand I went to Reece's Rainbow yesterday, and saw that another little dumpling, Maria, just found her family. There is Hope all around.

patsy said...

love the pics and love the starfish story :)

patsy said...

oh and did you get my email ?

cathy said...

beautiful....

Rochelle said...

Love the starfish story! Beautiful!

Patti said...

patsy- thank for reminding me...I emailed you back;)
Steph- woke up early and read your comment...went back to sleep dreaming of little Olga. And trying to think of how we can raise more money quickly:(

Anonymous said...

You have made a difference in my life Patti.

Danielle said...

I thought about that starfish story, the last post you had written - longing to make a difference - for this one - or that one. I understand and I ache to make a difference as well. You are making a difference for Jesus here in Corvallis. And it is so very worth it!!!!!!! Think of that girl today. And Cassie and Robert. And Berry & Connie. And John and Jody. And who knows the countless others!

Katy said...

Amen, amen, amen. You are amazing, Patti!