Thursday, December 30, 2010

December Nights

Dearest Lily,

It is late at night and you are sleeping soundly next to Daddy in bed.

It is so cold outside that snow is mixed with the rain...it is so quiet that the only thing I can hear while I type is your soft, deep breathing...

Photobucket

My beautiful baby girl, in a few weeks you'll turn one. Where did the time go?

Photobucket

You are so tiny that strangers still ask how "new" you are.

Photobucket

A few weeks ago you and I were eating at the hospital cafeteria together, while Daddy was praying for a friend of ours in the emergency room...you were sitting up in a highchair, and I was feeding you bites of my lunch. A nurse walked up to us and bent down to smile at you.

Photobucket

"I just had to see how this tiny little baby was able to sit up so well!" she grinned.

Photobucket

I told her you were almost a year old and her eyes opened wide. Were you premature, she asked? Just three weeks, was my answer...and I waited for the inevitable question....how little were you at birth?

I said just 5 and a half pounds..and looked at you and smiled and continued, "She has Down syndrome, so that's why she's so tiny. But we like tiny!"

Photobucket

The nurse smiled and said good things come in small packages..she stroked your head and said you were beautiful..smiled and walked away.

Photobucket


I know all of my babies have provoked kind words and sweet glances from strangers, Lily.

Photobucket

Photobucket


But something about your gentle smile and tiny stature seems to elicit more attention than all of our babies put together...


Photobucket

Or maybe it's that magical extra chromosome, drawing others in with it's magnetic charm...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

So Lily, tonight I'm remembering...

... December nights, just a year ago...when your tiny frame was tucked inside of me, and your gentle kicks were nudging me towards the truth of who you were.

And I wish I could take that mama by the hand, and show her the beauty and grace, the joy and love that was waiting for her on the other side of a year.

We are so blessed...

Photobucket


by you...

Photobucket

my beautiful and perfect Lily.

Always yours,

17 comments:

Megan said...

Every single one of those pictures made me smile. She is too sweet. I'm sure she has her screaming baby moments like any other but in my mind she's perfect :)

nicole said...

The "peekaboo" shot in her car seat ~ adorable! Her sweet demeanor shines through and pulls you in.

fckopp said...

Goody, enough Daily Lily's to last me through the weekend while we are away.

Runningmama said...

She's just beautiful! Isn't it funny how the general public seems to be a little bit "afraid" of down syndrome, but then those of us that have children with Downs notice that for whatever reason, people are drawn to them and they usually don't know about the down syndrome at all when they approach us...my husband and I always talk about how much more attention people pay to Emily and how they dote all over her not even knowing that she has DS.

patsy said...

yay!! lots of lily pics!! and jeff and i say all the time 'did this many people just come up and talk to our other girls?' ....something about that magic chromosome:) and thank you so much for your sweet comment. i used to be an interior designer, years ago, before i started having baby girls! so now i just love decorating our carriage house and making it feel as cozy as i can! hope your family is having a wonderful holiday!

cathy said...

oh Patti, amazing, beautiful pictures----
beautiful, amazing words----
God bless her ;)

xoxo
cathy

Wren said...

You know what's so funny about this....the first few pictures I was thinking "oh my goodness look how BIG miss Lily looks!"! Hard to believe our little ones are about to be 1!!

Becca said...

Wow, sweet post, sweet photos. Yes, good (and *amazing*) things sure do come in small packages!

Looking Up said...

What a gorgeous baby girl! Her name suits her. :)

Rochelle said...

Can't believe she is almost 1! Sweet post.

Cole said...

Oh what a sweet thing for the nurse to have said. We've noticed a similar thing with Abigail and people being drawn to her in a way that wasn't there before her. Very sweet post Patti- just lovely.

Jenny said...

Loved every one of these pictures!! What a sweet little girl :)

Anonymous said...

Okay- tears again!! Love all of these beautiful pictures of Lily. That extra chromosome is amazing, isn't it? We love it around here. But Benji did not get the small part of it. He is HUGE!! He was nine pounds, six ounces at birth. And he has not stopped growing yet. My girls were so tiny and petite and my boys were not this big. But we love all his chubbiness. (not sure if that is a word, but it describes him). I am so thankful that you write this blog and share so much because it is a blessing to all of us. And I cannot wait to see Lily turn one!! Cara

Cathy said...

Such a beautiful, precious, little sweetie. And such a perfect name!! :)

Virginia (Jenny) said...

She is beautiful! Makes me want to cuddle her in her jammies.

Emily said...

Oh Lily is a beauty! I also have baby about to turn one (February) and I remember replying to a thread you had started on baby center Feb birth board back during the pregnancies when you were concerned that Lily could possibly have DS. I hoped to give a little perspective about my life with my daughter with DS (who is now 3 1/2). I am so happy to find your blog and see a thriving Lily and a mama who is doing amazing things.

Much admiration and love to you,

Emily

hamula.blogspot.com

Tracy said...

One of my favorite things about your blog is that you have so many pictures of your dolly! I love her too!