Monday, December 13, 2010

Dear Katya

Dear Katya,

You have been heavy on my heart since you left your comment on my post, "Why?" last Friday. I don't know how you found your way here...but I hope you stay.

My heart goes out to you, because of all that you are missing.

Because you don't have the joy of knowing my Lily, and knowing how much she has already contributed to our family. She's changed us, Katya. For the better.

And this one little girl...this sweet and perfect Lily..has touched so many already, in her short 11 months of life.

Lily has opened our eyes.

And not just my Lily- but thousands like her, here in our country. They're changing us, Katya. We are blessed to be given the opportunity to raise these children. I am so sad you are not given that opportunity. And I do understand that much of what you know... is only what you've been led to believe.

Please open your heart and your eyes...and give our children a chance. You might just find yourself changed as well.


*scroll down to turn off playlist at the bottom of this page. And if you don't see the video player, refresh your page...or click the one true media link*










"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows what we know, and holds us responsible to act." Prov. 24:12

Love,
Lily's Mama

**********

GIVEAWAY STILL OPEN BELOW....

Give here:

http://reecesrainbow.org/sponsorship/angeltree2010/angeltreesponsorpage


click on "add" under her picture, which will add her to the "shopping cart" and at that point you can either order an ornament, make an additional donation, or both.

14 comments:

Elissa said...

Aw Patti...so beautiful! I can't believe how much sweet Lily has changed!
Katya, if you are out there, come to my blog too! See just how unbelievable my life has been so far with my girls, one with Down Syndrome and one without!

Ginger said...

What a perfect verse you referenced at the end!
May God be glorified thru your Lily and thru this blog.

Ashley said...

Beautiful, Patti <3

Lori said...

I love that video!! And to think that shortly after all that you flew with that brand new tiny baby to welcome our Elli - THANK YOU!!

Bulldogma said...

Have you seen the show "The Specials" from Great Britain?

http://www.the-specials.com/

Its about 5 cognitively challenged 20-somethings living independently. Four have Down syndrome (I believe). It's pretty neat... and could be rather educational for those who are not yet aware of how much our children with Down syndrome are capable of.

cathy said...

AMEN
xoxo
Patti,thank you for your beautiful email

amy a said...

I think it's important to remember that things we are told our entire lives are sometimes believed to be the only truth. Praying God opens the eyes of an entire nation.

Patti, your blog is wonderful, and Lily is just the cutest thing! You sure are blessed! I can say, I didn't know much about children with Down Syndrome, but blogs like have made me realize that those children are just like other children. I love reading stories about your little one!

Elisabeth said...

Reading this post I was just struck by how gracious your response was. Thanks for sharing about the blessings that our children are.

Ilisa Ailts said...

Katya is also welcome to visit my blog: ailtsfamily.blogspot.com where I break her comment down. I am not bitter. I am disappointed that some people are not educated enough to know what "these people" are truly capable of. I do not hate her or others who hold her beliefs. I hope I can make a case for our kids. Our sweet babies who have a huge, positive impact on society when given the opportunity, just as the rest of us.

Ilisa Ailts said...

Important: I do not hate anyone!!

Katy said...

That video needs to come with a warning for us emotional mamas! ;-) And I LOVE that verse at the end. What translation did you use?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful video!! It definitely captures the pure love you all have for Lily. She is a gift from God. Praying that eyes are opened to the truth about our children.

Our four year old, Anna Rose, was born on January 16th as well. I will never forget Lily's birthday. She even reminds me of Anna Rose as a baby. She was so little and petite like that too. She has brought so much joy into our lives and lights us up every time she enters a room. Her smile blesses us daily. Lily is changing lives already, and she will continue to as she shines His light to others. Cara

Sarah said...

I keep checking back to see if Katya has responded. Patti, Olga has been our hearts too so much. Anna Cate (4) has asked me about her so much. She said, I hope she has friends to read her books since she doesn't have a mommy. Then a few days later, she asked, "why doesn't she have a mommy." I said, the woman who gave birth to her gave her up because she was different. Then she said, "would you still be my mommy if I was different? would you still be molly's mommy" And I said, yes, I would still be your mommy. and THAT was a setiment of clarity for me. All children deserve to know that their mommy accepts them for who they are, and it wrenches my heart to think about these children who don't have one. I think about them all the time. As I'm rocking my children to sleep or patting down ACs hair, I'm thinking of Olga (and of you).

Heather said...

Watched the video...love the newborn pics of Lily! Such a lovely little baby doll...now, how could she be anything other than perfect?

You know, I was thinking about Katya and realized - we all come into this world just like Lil and all other babies - a blank slate. We don't know how to do anything other than love and accept. It's our culture that gives us the idea of who is and isn't acceptable. I mean, in the South, up until forty years or so we were taught that folks of a different color shouldn't be allowed to attend school with us or eat at the same restaurant. Now, looking back - how silly of an idea was that? How ignorant! Hopefully the Russian culture will change in the same way - bit by bit, revolution by revolution - and Katya and all her countrymen will see how much "these people" are PEOPLE - just like everybody else. :)