Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Letter from Daddy

Dearest Lils,

Mommy asked me to write a little note to you, so here goes... First of all let me say, you are amazing to me! I love every little thing about you! From your cute little pinky, to your bent ear, you are the cutest little one I have ever seen.

Photobucket

I cannot tell you how much I miss you every day when I am at work, it's like my arms literally ache for you. When I come home, (don't tell Mommy) but you are the first one I want to see. I love to cuddle you up in my arms and cover your little neck and face with kisses. I think it is just so sweet how you seem to look for me when you hear my voice, like you know I am finally home and can't wait for me to grab you up and play with you for a bit.

Photobucket

I was just telling a client today just how special you are to us. How you have changed the whole atmosphere of our home. How you have brought a special kind of love out of our children, that I don't know that any other event in life could quite do. I was telling her about your sweet personality, and your almost complete lack of fussy moments. And it hit me as I was talking about you -- just how truly special you are to us! I was telling her, that if someone would have told us a year ago that we were going to have a child with Ds we would probably have been a little freaked out and worried about all the things we did not understand about raising a child with special needs.

Photobucket

But what is amazing to me is that having you... not just a baby with special needs, but you..just seems to take away all of those fears and concerns that we really did not need to be worrying about in the first place!! Maybe that is why God did not intend for us to know EVERYTHING before our babies come. Because in our limited perspectives and understandings of things, we just don't usually see the blessings that can come from difficulty. I don't believe all the technology we have that lets us see and know things we never knew before is evil. I just believe most people cannot begin to understand the incredible blessings that can come from having a Lily come into their lives.. until she actually shows up!

Photobucket

It is so strange to think that your mommy and I came up with the name Lily before you were even conceived! (Make your mommy tell you the story, it's very interesting.)


Photobucket

But maybe there was a reason that God gave us that name, because you have brought color and texture to our lives! Just like a flower can brighten up a room with its beauty and fragrance, you have brightened up our family with the beauty that is uniquely LILY!


Photobucket

We love you so much and are so happy God saw fit to add you to our family!
Love Forever -- Daddy

35 comments:

Ashley said...

What a beautiful letter, Sam! I am so glad that Patti asked you to write one. You area GREAT writer :)

Ilisa Ailts said...

Ditto what Ashley said!

Elisabeth said...

What a wonderful letter. Lily is so blessed to have a Daddy that loves her so much! I love the pictures of them together.

nicole said...

These pictures are so touching . . you both inspire me to treasure my children more. Patti, I'm sure your husband melts your heart when he's loving your Lily. There's something eye-catching about a father with a little grey, a few laugh lines, wearing a wedding ring and holding a baby, isn't there?

Sheva said...

I have tears that was beautiful

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful letter to your precious baby girl. I wish you and your family all the best!

Jenny said...

There is something about seeing a little girl with her Dad that always melts a persons heart :)
Beautiful letter, and such sweet pictures.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful letter! Lily is blessed to have you as her daddy!

Anonymous said...

That is an amazing letter..I love to hear daddy's talk about how special their children are to them. I had tears in my eyes reading this. Lily is such a beautiful little girl, and she is super lucky to have such amazing parents!!
Good Job Daddy!!!

Anonymous said...

His letter brought tears to my eyes. His words really touched my heart. You can tell he really loves and cares for his daughter alot. Yall have a perfect little girl and she is so pretty.

Anonymous said...

That was just absolutely beautiful. She's really lucky to have a Daddy like you. You have a BEAUTIFUL little girl!

TheFoleyFive said...

Perfect letter Sam...what a sweet insight from your perspective...Nothing as sweet as a father who loves his children so much, its a lucky thing.
Patti-Whats the story?! Behind lily...I remember you both wanted it..and that it happened before you were even pregnant...but then what...?

Heather said...

That is the sweetest letter ever! God definately does bless us in ways we could never imagine :)

Janet said...

beautiful. i have read most of your blog, it is amazing and inspiring. i feel like i know your family just through reading.

thank you for sharing with us.

Dana said...

That is just the sweetest letter ever!! Lily is a beautiful little girl!!!

Jenn said...

Absolutely beautiful!!!! Lily is a very lucky girl to have a father (and Mom) as wonderful as you both seem...She is beautiful and looks so happy!!!

Kim said...

I just wanted to say that your blog was really touching. I have a Lily too, and reading your birth story brought me to tears. I'm sitting here crying like a baby. I cannot imagine going through what you have gone through. Lily is absolutely beautiful. You have been truly blessed

Christine said...

Ok that needed a tissue warning. Having a hard time seeing through the tears right now. What an amazing husband and daddy you have there. You are so very luck. I could only wish for a man like that

Rochelle said...

Melt my heart! Love the daddy post!

fckopp said...

Lily Love, you are so loved, so blessed to have such a loving Mommy, Daddy and siblings. Those look like very precious moments you are sharing with Daddy. I have a letter from my Daddy and I treasure it, so little Lil I pray some day you will have Daddy read his letter to you. It is very special.

Has Mommy told you she sucked her thumb until she went to Kindergarten? Hang onto that thumb babygirl and hang on to your loving family really tight. Love, Grammi

Suzie said...

Wow this could be from my hubby! There is a whole story about Lily's ears and her daddy.
And the name thing! My name Suzanne means Lily of the Valley and another name for Lily of the Valley is Mary's Tears, Ladder to Heaven and other's.
Jeff has always said that our Lily will be the way we get back to Heaven.
Daddy's love is the best!

Danielle said...

Love the letter. I have asked Johnny to write - especially on my old adoption blog. Sad he never did. Just not his thing i guess. So glad you'll have this letter to Lils!

Shauna said...

Wow you really nailed it. I'm glad that we didn't know Reagan's diagnosis before birth because we pretty much saw the good stuff right from the beginning and that gave us the strength to face the medical problems that are now cropping up. I agree with everyone else, it is so sweet to hear daddies talk about their daughters!

Barbara said...

That is a beautiful letter, gave me goosebumps! There is something special about a daddy and his little girl, Lily is one lucky little girl

Patti said...

Dearest Sam,
I can't read this letter without crying. Every.single.time. You are the best daddy in the world, and you are my hero.
I love you forever,
Your Patti oxoxox

Anonymous said...

That was so beautiful!! It brought tears to my eyes. The unadulterated love he has for Lily is so pure and sweet and innocent. Love in its truest form. Thank you so much for sharing!! BBC Member..

Naomi Rice said...

Now i wanna ask Jason to write a letter to K and M! That would be so sweet.. what a great idea! Thanks Patti, and you are a great writer dad!!
-Naomi

abigail rice said...

i love you daddy!!!! and if you are reading this daddy i realy eapreashiat you so much! and when ever im having a bad day your always thar to help.

Anonymous said...

awww, my heart just melted. God bless Lily, you are one lucky gal to have such a loving father and a loving family.

Aphera said...

You don't know me but reading this letter has me crying while sitting at my computer. The love you have for your daughter is so wonderful.

Lily is so blessed to have you as a dad. Please write more. I'm sure she'll enjoy this letter when she gets older and she'll know what a great dad she has!

P.S. I'm from Jan2010. Your wife will know what that means.

Jenna said...

So beautiful. There aren't words for that kind of love. A father's love for his daughter.

This letter brings tears to my eyes. You're daughter is so beautiful. I can't tell you how sweet her smile is. As a mother of a ten month old as well (Jan 2010) I know the blessing our children are. You were just doubly blessed!

May you write more, for what you have written is so beatiful and heartfelt. =) Lily will one day read these words her father wrote, and feel the love that we all feel hidden in those words.

Ellen Munshausen said...

So thankful God brought this little masterpiece in to your family's life. I have always known you are a very special family and the fact that Lily has brought out the best in all of you is just one more way I know that God is in control and we can always trust His heart...even if we can't see His plan!

Heidi said...

oh. crying. beautiful!xoxo

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this worthy article, it's very famous blogs

Kelly O said...

Dear patti,
such beautiful pictures. You will be scrap booking for the next 20 years!! Lily is very blessed to have a family like yours. So much love to go around. Love you guys!!