Thursday, September 16, 2010

Eight months of love

Dearest Lily,

Having you has opened our lives up to so many wonderful people. People we never would have had the chance to meet had you been born without that magical extra chromosome.

People like Ashley, who is your big sissy Mackenzie's age. Ashley has a blog for her baby sister Laura, and we met through blogging. You and Laura are going to meet each other some day soon!! Ashley put together a video with your picture in it, and many other pictures of babies we know. She sent it to Mommy today, and I couldn't stop crying watching it. I am so proud of Ashley, and so honored to know her.



We have so many "friends" in this video, Lily. I think that's what made me cry so hard. Each one of them is so beautiful...Abbie and Grady and Nella and Ella and Sutter and Addison and Verity and Grace and Ragen and Claire and Josie...and of course Laura. Every one of these children has touched our hearts with their stories and lives. Their families have been a lifeline to me...I am SO proud to be one of "those families".

If I could go back in time and talk to myself...give "Patti" a little speech on how her life was about to change with your birth...I would show her this video. I'd say, "Look at these faces...don't you wish you had a baby like one of these? Don't you want to be a part of this special club? "

Once upon a time I thought I couldn't handle having a baby with Down syndrome. Once upon a time I thought special needs were scary.

Eight months ago you proved otherwise.

You know what, Lily? Who really cares about how quickly you can reach every milestone? Who really cares if you can read novels some day? Who really cares if you can drive a car or live independently some day? I mean- I'm going to shoot for the moon, baby. I'm going to help you reach every goal you can, chase every dream and do anything you want to. But at the end of the day, I just want you to know you're loved. I just want to spend my life loving you and being loved by you. You're my baby sent from Heaven, little girl.

Thank you for eight of the BEST months of my life, dearest Lily.

Love always and forever,

Mama oxox

8 comments:

Kelly Marin said...

Oh what beautiful beautiful babies:)

Ashley said...

Thank you so much for sharing this, Patti! And thank you for the kind words about me...it means alot :) Love you and your family, and I can't wait til we all can meet <3

Pat's Brother said...

I have been blessed with five special needs children, all boys! Number six is a girl, so I think that qualifies her by default? I had two special needs sisters, so I hear ya sister!

Wren said...

Happy 8 month's Lily!!! I loved watching that video and YES those babies are all beautiful; great job Ashley!!!

fckopp said...

If my life depended on it I simply could not choose which one of those beautiful babies I would choose to have and hold in my life. Of course Lily is my favorite and I wish we lived closer so we could bond but each and everyone is so precious. Faith (the last sweetie) comes in second....mmm could be we share a something?

Ashley said...

Thank you for praying Patti :) We got that hat from Babies "R" Us

Barbara said...

Oh my. That was sooooo not nice. I think I fell in love with every twinkle in each eye, every smile just melted my heart. I wonder if any of these beautiful little ones need an extra grandma?

Melissa M said...

I love this video too! And unless you are a part of our 'family' I don't think you'd ever really know how special it is! I think hubby get more updates about our chromosomally enhanced friends, than our real life friends...