Saturday, July 31, 2010

Ordinary Miracle

Dearest Lily,

Today was a wonderful day!

For the past month I have been trying to get you to say "mama". I know you don't understand the actual word yet, but I want to do everything I can to teach you how to talk...and I know that all begins with babbling. Your brothers all took their time in starting on consonant sounds like mamama and dadadada...but Mackenzie and Abigail started their baby babbling around 6 months. Because I've heard so much about speech delays related to ds, I have really prayed about this. And while I'm not a speech therapist, I am a mother of ten...and that's got to be good for something, right?

So a month ago I began saying "mama" to you every chance I got. If we were nursing and you were gazing up at me, I would take your tiny hand, place it over my lips, and repeat mama over and over again. When we were playing on the floor together, I would recite mama again and again. While I held you on my lap, I would press your lips against mine and say mamama and pull you back to watch your response. I would hold you up to the mirror, your tiny face next to mine, and say mama so you could watch my face and yours. I took your little chin in my hands and moved your lower jaw up and down as I said mamama. YES- I have been obsessed:)

The past few days I have watched you playing on the floor, either holding your feet, or just lying on your tummy and pushing your chest up off the floor..and mouthing- silently- what looks like mamama. No sound came out, but it looked exactly like you were practicing those syllables. It almost looked like you were chewing on something.

Today I was folding laundry and suddenly I heard the most BEAUTIFUL sound I have ever heard in my life- MAMAMA !! I turned around excitedly and there you were, lying on your tummy, holding your head up proudly and babbling "mama" over and over and over again!

I ran to get my camera, hoping I hadn't just missed this "first" on film. Not only did you perform, but you started saying dadada and lalala as well!!




Lily, I have listened to nine of your siblings give voice to those magical first sounds over the years- and it has been the sweetest music to my ears every time. But nothing could have prepared me for the RUSH of emotions I felt when you uttered those sounds. No orchestra, no symphony, no musical masterpiece on earth could compare to the beauty of hearing my Lilybird sing.



As soon as Daddy got home, Jackson and Abbi and I ran to the front door to tell him what you had been doing- we were so proud!!




..and Grammi, if you're watching this, I removed the toy from under Lily's back when she rolled over:) ..


We are so, so proud of you, dearest Lily! Words cannot express what your words meant to me today. To quote my sweet friend, Ashley... I love you to the moon and back:)

Love always,

Mama oxox



16 comments:

Ashley said...

Those videos just made me fall in love with Lily even more. You should of seen the look on my face as I watched them! October can't come soon enough :)

TheFoleyFive said...

okay..so maybe don't approve this comment cuz its just for you and I don't want people to misread what I'm saying...but...sometimes when I watch Lily on video I find myself gazing like i'm watching little Reagan. I know i'm incredibly naive, and don't see what goes on 24/7 but unless I knew you guys I really would have a hard time knowing Lil's had that extra chromosome. She's so so so much exactly doing what Reagan is doing, it blows me away..like the same sounds, hand/eye, interacting..I can't see or even recognize where she would be "behind". And as gorgeous as every baby is ds or not, Lily has never looked like she has ds to me, and she would be gorgeous if she did...but those very distinct characteristics that are usually so prevalent in ds children...just aren't there...John has asked over and over, are you sure Lily has downs? she looks absolutely well...normal. I really don't want you to think i'm being a jerk or anything..just know, you have done a phenomenal job with lilybug already...she's so exactly what a child her age should be...at least to the naive outside person...and she's stinking GORGEOUS and sweet and so so smart..you can see this sharpness and intensity in those eyes..gosh..does this make sense? I hope so..its meant to make you feel so proud..because like I said, if I didn't know you, I honestly don't think it would occur to me she has any magical chromosome at all...except for maybe being heartbreakingly cute and wonderful :)

Patti said...

Thank you, Sophie- That was so sweet of you:) Sometimes I can "see" ds in her and sometimes not..I AM amazed at how much she is doing though! I know there will probably be delays, but we are contending in prayer for her to exceed all our wildest imaginations. Thank you so much for praying too:) Love you guys! By the way- your song for Lily is my kids' favorite:)

Mackenzie Rice said...

yea baby!! thas my sissy right there ;):) so stinkin beautiful.

S said...

Daddy is So, So, So proud of his little girl!! I love you Lils and you will amaze and bless Many!!

stephanie said...

Beautiful voice you got there Lily!
Thanks for sharing this special moment!!

And I can see the Ds in Lily. And it's beautiful. I understand where your friend is coming from though. I used to think the characteristics of Ds took the beauty away. But after Em, I can see it's such a big part of their beauty.

But, I do agree that you are doing an awesome job with Lily. She looks great and is doing age appropriate things. bet she will be trying to sit up soon!

my family said...

Lily, you ROCK! so precious, way to go little one

Tracy said...

Gosh Patti,
I didn't think there was anything more beautiful than Lily's pictures, but the videos just made me melt! My little guy has been saying "Mamama" from about 6 months, and I thought it was just a sound he liked, but now at 8 months, he says it whenever I leave the room or if he can hear me speaking but can't see me. It is certainly his first word!

Anne of Alamo said...

I tell you that is some of the most beautiful music..and I somehow I am seeing Lily as a chatterbox anyways...ha ha...I just love watching her little chin go up and down, and then getting the sounds out!
This was a superb way to start our Sunday morning!

Ruby's Mom said...

What a cutie she is! I know what you meant when you said you were excited when your other children accomplished things as they were growing but there is just a different excitement when your special little one does something new :)

TheFoleyFive said...

I absolutely do not think the "ds parts" detract from her whatsoever. Just simply, she is stunningly darling and very smart. and its incredible because its not common to see that sort of exceptional growth.
love you guys..and love watching lily grow..she's a doll.

fckopp said...

Patti, it is very, very hard to watch video's of Miss Lily through tears. Proud tears, happy tears, wishing to be there tears. My heart and arms ache to hold Lily Anne and her siblings. But I truly thank God for technology and the ability to actually see all my babies. When I show my friends Lily's pictures that you send or let them watch the video's they are amazed at how beautiful she is. I think a lot of people my age have a preconception that DS children look "different" but have come to see them all as beautiful, sweet, cute, and loveable. I did notice the toy, you know how safety conscience I am. :>)

Anonymous said...

Well dear Mama That is glorious!! I could so relate to that "rush". Little Lily has more miracles in store for you:)
Love, Denise

Anonymous said...

Aww ... that is very exciting ! YAY Lily !!

Aunt Cindy

Kelly Marin said...

Patti, she's so cute, We all of course enjoyed the videos:)

CassieThompson said...

This video is so stinking cute! Lily is so stinking cute. I just want to eat her up.