Thursday, July 15, 2010

Looking Ahead

Dearest Lily,

Since having you I have found so many new places to go...namely, other blogs. I love reading about other babies who share your designer genes. I love seeing what fun we're going to have together in the future- learning, growing, reaching new milestones. I love reading other mommies' perspectives on raising children with special needs. What's so neat is seeing how similar other people's journeys are, and realizing we can make it through.

I have so many favorites, and I confess I'm addicted to blogs about these special kids.

There's another Lily, who is 2 years older than you, and so so cute. There's beautiful baby Grace, and adorable Mattie, sweet Nebraska, and darling Miss Em.

There's Faith, who looks so much like you, Lily. And Charlie, who I am in love with- I wish I could set you two up some day! There's William who is is the cutest little boy..

There's beautiful Nella , who is just a week younger than you...her Mommy's blog has a huge following, but she took the time to answer questions I had about therapy.

There's Joel and Jack Jack whose smiles melt my heart, and Claire who has the CUTEST hair! Nate has the sweetest eyes, and Ragen is just a doll. Abbie's mama is going through this journey at the same time I am, and Roo's mama is miles ahead of us.

Avery's mommy wrote a book that helped me so much- and when I emailed her, her kind words encouraged me even more.

There are young mommies, like Austin's mommy, and Grady's mommy, and Owen's mommy, and Hunter's mommy. There are mommies my age, like John Michael's mommy... and families with LOTS of children like us- Ruby's family and Simeon's family and Verity's family.

Then there are my heroes- families who have adopted children with ds after giving birth to their own babies with ds...families like Sophia's and Alina's and Bella's.

And other heroes- Ella's mommy, who is watching her baby girl go through chemo...or Carly's mommy, who is still grieving the loss of her beautiful daughter.

Lily, having you has opened the door to a whole new world. It has opened my eyes to the fact that so many people have burdens to bear in life far greater than mine. Down syndrome is the least of our worries. There are mamas out there who don't know if their babies will live to see their first birthday...Mamas who feel they don't have any options but to leave their babies at orphanages because they are so terribly poor and unable to help them... Mamas who lost children to health issues related to ds, Mamas who are battling through those health issues right now.

Those mamas weigh heavy on my heart today- God, help them with the issues they are facing, console and comfort and encourage and heal these Mamas and babies and children and families. And thank You Lord, for helping me to appreciate the good things in life. Thank you for my Lily.

Loving you more each day,

Mama oxox

15 comments:

Danielle said...

First of all... Do you know that you just confessed to following 30 DS blogs!!?!?!? You are crazy!! (:

Second of all... of course after clicking a few, I clicked on the story of the 8 year old girl who passed away. O my heart is breaking for that momma. I bawled reading it. So so so so sad. My throat hurts from crying so much.

B. McKenzie said...

Wow. Thanks for the shout out! And what a wonderful post. I love this. Just by reading it you have introduced me to some other families that I didn't know. I know Lily is going to treasure these as she gets older.

Have a great weekend!
B

Ashley Q. said...

Thank you for the comments on my blog! Do you mind if I have your email address so I could email you about where we love? Thank you :)

blessingsandglory said...

What a great list of friends that you have met along this journey. Doesn't it just blow you away the doors that our little ones have opened for us? We have met so many wonderful families along this journey and I can't wait to see where it is going to take us all.

Patti said...

Hey Ashley- it's psalms127.5@gmail.com Give your baby sissy a kiss from me, I love her!

my family said...

Isnt it a wonderful place to be. Never thought I wanted to be here but wouldnt change a thing now...I love it! oh how I lovemy boy and all of these mamas and their little ones.

My heart breaks for Joany, and Denise and Ella Grace such inspiration I read so many of the ones you read. How about "my special K's"....she is taking a blog break this summer but Renee is a great person too.

You are so sweet to mention my lovey,William.

Lily is an absolute doll

Ashley Q. said...

Thank you, Mrs. Rice :) I will definately give Laura a kiss from you, and give Lily one from us as well :)

Steph said...

Your sweet little Lily is so very beautiful! What a blessing to behold! I love reading your words of love to your sweet baby girl...your tender heart is so apparent.

Keep up the good work Mama!

Steph said...

Your sweet little Lily is so very beautiful! What a blessing to behold! I love reading your words of love to your sweet baby girl...your tender heart is so apparent.

Keep up the good work Mama!

skiingthroughlife said...

Awww thanks for the shout out Patti! We just love your Lily! Happy 6 months sweet girl!

CKopp said...

Mrs. Rice. Hahahaha ahhahahahah ahahahhahaa.

Ashley Q. said...

I called her that because some adults we know have gotten offended when we called them by their first names :)

Patti said...

Ashley- my brother is a MOCKER and he was laughing because he thinks I'm OLD! He is jealous because I look 29 and he looks 49 HAHAHAHAH!!

Ashley Q. said...

Hahahaha brothers! :p

Melissa M said...

Love the list of blogs! Most of them I already follow, but I am always happy to add new friends. :)