Monday, June 28, 2010

Our Secret Society

Dearest Lily,

It is our last day in New Jersey..we have been having such a wonderful time visiting relatives and seeing the East coast. I am so sad to leave your cousins and aunts and uncles, but I do miss all your brothers and sisters.

The other day we had the neatest thing happen. We had been visiting the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall in Philadelphia, PA, and we were getting on the elevator at the parking garage. As we got on, I noticed a little boy -he was maybe ten years old- with ds. He was so cute, and he was at that kind of gangly age, when a boy is all limbs. He had the cutest almond-shaped eyes, and he was wearing a baseball cap..I asked his mom what his name was, and she replied A.J. I said, "Hi, A.J.! You look like my Lily."

His mom brightened and looked over at you, snuggled in the front pack that Daddy was wearing and asked "Does she have Down syndrome?" I smiled and said yes, as the elevator doors opened..

And as I got off, this radiant, proud Mommy beamed at me and said, "Congratulations, Mama! It's an exciting journey- he's the light of my life!"

It was such a special moment, Lily. It was like we were a part of this secret society, linked by our wonderful children. Strangers getting on the elevator, we were linked immediately by our passports to Holland. And I got off the elevator honored to be a part of the club.


I am so excited about our journey, Lily. I don't fear the future, I look forward to it! I can't wait to see what the next bend in the road holds..what milestones we'll reach together. I wish everyone knew how exciting, how wonderful that magical extra chromosome is. I wish I could share this feeling of joy and pride and love with every expectant Mama who finds out she is carrying a baby with the passport to adventure.

Photobucket

So thankful for this journey..

Love always,

Mama oxox

7 comments:

B. McKenzie said...

love this! "our secret society"...perfect description. Lily is beautiful and she is lucky to have you. Glad you had fun on your trip!

Danielle said...

brought tears to my eyes! I just told jOhnny, "O... that post made me cry!" to which he replied... "Whats new??"
RUDE!!! I am not an emotional wreck! I only cry at important things! (: Missing you guys tons and tons and tone!! I just want to eat little miss lil' up!! See you soon!!!

Cathy said...

Oh yes...our secret society is wonderful. I wish it wasn't such a secret though. Glad you had a nice trip!

Anonymous said...

You are such a great mommy! Lily is so so so lucky to have you, a mom that appreciates the secret sociaty. I miss you guys so much can't wait to see you a lily at church tonight.


Cassie Thompson

Anonymous said...

This story was spectacular! As always . . . . I hope you are going to print this someday.
It is amazing . . . like you.

Love you,
Janet

Anonymous said...

Sweet!! God sends those little moments along the way, like a glimpse of the future. He reassure us that everything is gonna be okay. Hey I think Holland would be a cool name.
Love, Denise

fckopp said...

WOW For a split second I thought I was looking at myself in the beautiful picture on my little Pixie.