Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Ten Weeks

Dearest Lily,

Just thinking today about the miracle you are..so fragile and tiny, but so strong. You're a fighter, baby. You beat the odds- 43% of babies with Down syndrome in the womb don't make it to term. 92 % of babies diagnosed with Down syndrome in the womb are terminated. 50% of all babies with Down syndrome have a serious heart defect... You are a miracle. You are a blessing. You are strong.

In your ten weeks of life you've had multiple blood draws, oxygen tubes, thyroid screenings, chromosomal tests, a blood transfusion/exchange procedure, 3 echocardiagrams, a feeding tube, breathing treatments...but you rarely cry. You still smile when you're sick, you gaze unblinkingly into our eyes as we tell you how much we love you, and with those beautiful blue eyes you tell us I love you too.


You are pure.




Having you has changed my heart forever. You've made me value life- the miracle, the gift, the joy of LIFE. I'll never be the same.



You are beautiful.


Daddy and I are so in love with you. In ten short weeks you have wrapped us around your tiny little finger- that bent little finger that tells us you are different, because you need us more. And that's not a bad thing. In fact, that is a fabulous thing. You'll never outgrow us.


You are unique.


Dearest Lily, I'll spend the rest of my life loving you and making sure you know how very loved, how very wanted you are. If I had to change you- it would be for you and not for me. Because I love who you are, I love who God made you. And God doesn't make mistakes.


Three years ago, after we had your brother Jackson, I told Daddy I wanted one more girl. I told him I had a name I loved. Daddy said he already had a name too. I said okay, but my name was what we were going to name our next girl. Daddy laughed and told me his name- Lily. And that was the name I was going to tell him. We knew from that day that some day we were going to have a baby girl and name her Lily.


All along, God was waiting to send us you.


You are loved.


Always yours,


Mama oxox















3 comments:

Kelly Marin said...

Patti, your blog is so beautiful and so is Lily, almost everytime I read it I'm reading it with tears in my eyes becouse of your beautiful words. Lily is so blessed to have you as a mom. You inspire me to be a better mom:)Thank you, and keep up the pictures. She is so adorable.
Kelly

fckopp said...

OH little Lily how I love the songs Mommy has chosen for your blog. They are so soothing and make me cry. I would love to have you, Princess Lily, here to hold all the time. I pray you and your cousin Princess Elli get to see and play with each other as you grow up. Love you and your siblings ever so much. It was so much fun being with you all. I was so upset you had to go to the hospital just after I went home. So happy you are home and well. Give Mommy a smile for me please. Love, Grammi

Virginia (Jenny) said...

I LOVE the second picture. Her big eyes. I just also realized that we have the same baby swing/bouncer (not sure what yours is) that your daughter is in! Mine is the table top swing. Caleb is trying to escape out of it. Darn it. He's trying to grow up too fast.