Monday, March 22, 2010

9 Weeks





Dearest Lily,

You are 9 weeks old!! So hard to believe- seems a million lifetimes ago that I was wondering who you were, waiting for you to arrive. You are 6 pounds 11 ounces and 20 inches long now. What a little peanut! You roll from back to tummy and tummy to back..you smile and COO all the time..you stare at us for the longest time, and you love to interact with us with your little voice. You are nursing so well, you eat every 2-3 hours, and you sleep for 4 hours at a time at night. You are HAPPY and content, and the easiest baby we've ever had. To say we are all in love with you is a total understatement. Daddy and I fight over who gets to put you to sleep on our chest at night- your favorite way to drift into dreamland. Your siblings are still all smitten with you- Caleb lately is the one who begs to hold you the most.

Your thyroid tests came back normal today- thank God! They were abnormal when they were done at Doernbechers. We knew they couldn't be right, as they were off in both directions, too high or too low.

I have been reading, reading, reading to educate myself on the challenges that lie waiting for us. Roadmap to Holland, by Jennifer Graf Groenberg was excellent. Babies With Down Syndrome is a guide for new parents- lots of practical info. Gifts- a collection of essays by mother of babies with Down syndrome was so sweet, I related to so much of the emotion other mommies felt.

Which brings me to a point about words...Words truly are powerful, and while I shun a lot of the silly "political correctness" of the day- so much is just oversensitivity I think- I really do feel that the way we "label" people matters. Before I had you, I never thought twice about saying a "Downs baby" or a "Down syndrome child"...it just seemed the natural way to say things. Now that I'm your mommy, I have switched to saying "Babies with Down syndrome" or "Children with Downs"...The point is, you are a BABY first. Down syndrome is a condition you have- it does not define you. Just as I wouldn't say "cleft palate babies" or "an ADHD child", I wouldn't put the diagnosis first. It's not who they are- it's something that affects them. I'm not going to get my feelings hurt when people refer to you as "a Downs baby"...after all, that's what I used to say! But I am just realizing for the first time how some things do sound to others. Because it does feel a little bit like people are referring to you as something other than a person- like a different "class" of a person. Like there are boys, and girls, and then there are...Downs children. Anyway, maybe it is a small thing, but it's important to me, and when I talk to other moms who have children with special needs, maybe it is important to them as well.

Just one more way you are changing my world, Lily.

Daddy and I are headed to the outlets today. I am in desperate need of clothes that fit my after-baby-body. I love you so much, and you are worth every extra pound it took to carry you:) But I CAN'T WAIT to be back to a size 2 !!!

I will write more soon, baby girl.

Love always,

Your Mama oxoxo

4 comments:

naomi said...

size 2??? disgusting patti!

CKopp said...

Her Downs doesn't seem to be acting up? Anyway, I'm so glad the health care bill passed, that should help!

Leah said...

She's looking cutie!!

Stephanie said...

Ok Patti - I could only dream of a size 2!!! Wow! She's just a beautiful doll and I'm glad you wrote what you feel - never would have thought of it that way, but it makes sense. You really don't think about things like that. Thanks for the heads up!!! :) BTW - hope she's feeling better - we've been really praying for her!